I’m really not that great IMO but not too bad either. Learning was a slow process for me since I only have a couple of drinks a day.

The main things IMO are as already stated, do not over steam the milk... if when you swirl the milk around after steaming you can see foam on the top that doesn’t go after swirling you have probably added too much air. shaking the jug side to side can pull a bit of foam back down into the milk but it’s probably not going to help much.

the next tip would be to stick with hearts & tulips until you can really control the milk

[ATTACH=CONFIG]38484[/ATTACH]

This is is about where I am now

I am a long way from that :)

Vesuvius • Hario VST-2000B • Distributor • Push Tamper • Niche Grinder

I am a long way from that :)

Post what ur getting... I’m sure everyone goes through the same issues. I know I’ve had a load of problems lol

I'm still managing very convincing renditions of an ameoba most of the time.

Laissez les bons temps rouler

Hey, well as long as that’s what you were going for it’s all good... Right...

Well there you are then, that’s well on the way to your heart!

2019 L-R with hand turned Thuya burr handles and toggles / Monolith Titan Flat & Conical, MAX Flat on order  / HG-1 / Kalita wave / Stag kettle / OCD / Joey Skateboard Handle Pullman Big Step & matching stirrer / Wenge Handle Lev Tamp / Push Tamper / Puqpress / 15g & 18g vst / IMS 35μM / LDT / Barista Gear Titanium 12oz pitchers / LW Bean Cellars & Caddy / Decent thermometer / Acme Evo 150ml cups / Espazzola / Hottop / embroidered by me bar towels / in the cellars: Steampunk, North Star, Foundry, The Barn, HasBean, Coffee Compass / part-time LSOL participant / 6 gorgeous guineas / a dog / a very lovely husband 

Well there you are then, that’s well on the way to your heart!
Yep. I just need to catch it mid split is all!

Laissez les bons temps rouler

I’ve tried swirling the shot first with varying results.

I think I’m maybe trying not to disturb the crema when initially pouring, rather than going for it to set up an even canvas before doing any art.

To add to what Mildred said at the time. I did some training with Dhan Tamang a few months ago and he recommended to always swirl the espresso, he's won the UK latte art championship about 6 times in a row so I think he qualifies as an expert and I'm going with that advice...

Everything my heart could desire (more or less). . .

https://cupperjoe.com

To add to what Mildred said at the time. I did some training with Dhan Tamang a few months ago and he recommended to always swirl the espresso, he's won the UK latte art championship about 6 times in a row so I think he qualifies as an expert and I'm going with that advice...

I found that can help if the espresso has sat for any time to stop the “sticky top” ... it kind of loosens it back up again

Yes, I'm no expert (as you'll see) but I always swirl to keep that wet paint texture before the pour. Also, the speed you pour also affects how the microfoam comes out of the jug. Speed up the pour and you'll get more foam, slow it down and you'll likely get the milk that's underneath (unless your steaming was so amazing that you have perfect microfoam throughout).fac8e8e5515055920bed08e15cffbb5a.jpg

___

Eat, drink and be merry

Rocket R58Ceado E37SAeropressAerGrind • Puck Puck cold brew widget • VST 18g basket • Torr Goldfinger 58.5 convex black Ti/walnut tamper • Torr Goldfinger 58.5 flat sharp edge tamper • Big bag o' beans • Triumph Street Triple 675R

Still trying to get better at Latte Art at home. They make it look so easy on youtube!

I wanted to ask if it's actually realistic to get very good latte art at home on a prosumer HX machine (ECM)? I don't want to get frustrated simply by having unrealistic expectations of what's achievable.

I expect you will say it's practice, technique and milk-type - no excuses!

Milk does help, but yes practice.

SAGE IS NOT A UPGRADE

:)

Still trying to get better at Latte Art at home. They make it look so easy on youtube!

I wanted to ask if it's actually realistic to get very good latte art at home on a prosumer HX machine (ECM)? I don't want to get frustrated simply by having unrealistic expectations of what's achievable.

Getting you milk texture right is key. You’re not going to be able to pour anything if you’ve got a pitcher of stiff foam or just heated milk.

2019 L-R with hand turned Thuya burr handles and toggles / Monolith Titan Flat & Conical, MAX Flat on order  / HG-1 / Kalita wave / Stag kettle / OCD / Joey Skateboard Handle Pullman Big Step & matching stirrer / Wenge Handle Lev Tamp / Push Tamper / Puqpress / 15g & 18g vst / IMS 35μM / LDT / Barista Gear Titanium 12oz pitchers / LW Bean Cellars & Caddy / Decent thermometer / Acme Evo 150ml cups / Espazzola / Hottop / embroidered by me bar towels / in the cellars: Steampunk, North Star, Foundry, The Barn, HasBean, Coffee Compass / part-time LSOL participant / 6 gorgeous guineas / a dog / a very lovely husband 

100% you can do it with the machine.

It is knowing what you're aiming for and practising as you say. It takes time and repeating it. Consciously trying to improve, like anything.

P. S. I'm still working on it too...

Everything my heart could desire (more or less). . .

https://cupperjoe.com