The top left one looks like a nice sharp spout.

I have similar to the red one, its a Chinese knock off motta. I can only pour blobs with though.

The top left one looks like a nice sharp spout.

I have similar to the red one, its a Chinese knock off motta. I can only pour blobs with though.

Top left, Decent sharp spout ;)

2019 L-R with hand turned Thuya burr handles and toggles / Monolith Titan Flat & Conical, MAX Flat on order  / HG-1 / Kalita wave / Stag kettle / OCD / Joey Skateboard Handle Pullman Big Step & matching stirrer / Wenge Handle Lev Tamp / Push Tamper / Puqpress / 15g & 18g vst / IMS 35μM / LDT / Barista Gear Titanium 12oz pitchers / LW Bean Cellars & Caddy / Decent thermometer / Acme Evo 150ml cups / Espazzola / Hottop / embroidered by me bar towels / in the cellars: Steampunk, North Star, Foundry, The Barn, HasBean, Coffee Compass / part-time LSOL participant / 6 gorgeous guineas / a dog / a very lovely husband 

Top left, Decent sharp spout ;)

Ah I was actually looking at the Decent pitchers the other day, does anywhere in he UK stock them and the thermometer?

Ah I was actually looking at the Decent pitchers the other day, does anywhere in he UK stock them and the thermometer?

I think they are only available direct from Decent. Fast delivery and not ott on shipping if I remember correctly ;)

2019 L-R with hand turned Thuya burr handles and toggles / Monolith Titan Flat & Conical, MAX Flat on order  / HG-1 / Kalita wave / Stag kettle / OCD / Joey Skateboard Handle Pullman Big Step & matching stirrer / Wenge Handle Lev Tamp / Push Tamper / Puqpress / 15g & 18g vst / IMS 35μM / LDT / Barista Gear Titanium 12oz pitchers / LW Bean Cellars & Caddy / Decent thermometer / Acme Evo 150ml cups / Espazzola / Hottop / embroidered by me bar towels / in the cellars: Steampunk, North Star, Foundry, The Barn, HasBean, Coffee Compass / part-time LSOL participant / 6 gorgeous guineas / a dog / a very lovely husband 

Would you recommend the sharper spout over the competition one?

I’m going to give them both a go in a bit and report back :)

I’m going to give them both a go in a bit and report back :)

Great thanks, I do love a good comparison

Here we go! I haven’t used these pitchers for about a year and they feel so different to my regular jug. This is the pointy one.

[video=youtube_share;B1wY856IlvE]

I struggled to get the milk texture - the side to side shake can help with texture but it was difficult in a wider jug than I am used to!

Here is the rounded end. I would say I found it slightly easier to pour with. I think it would become easier if I used it all the time for a bit too!

[video=youtube_share;BD2JWWFP4XM]

968c9b729324753603d410b4174b483b.jpg

Just tried the Motta. It’s a heavier jug and has a longer spout. I reckon I like this one as much as the roundy end Decent.

Nice to see how the different spouts change things - thanks Mildred

Photos showing position of tip with the equipment I use.

Just above the milk to show how the tip looks . . .

31758611438_e66e6ecd42.jpg

And just in the surface ready to steam . . . Literally just the holes are in the surface.

31758611348_b60da1b825.jpg

A side to side wiggle to combine/finish milk can help with the texture, making it more like thick emulsion paint ;)

[video=youtube_share;nqm_0N4f0EI]

A side to side wiggle to combine/finish milk can help with the texture, making it more like thick emulsion paint ;)

[video=youtube_share;nqm_0N4f0EI]

That’s pretty hypnotic - I like it!

Lelit Mara 62, Niche Grinder, Decent Espresso tamper, V60, CCD, Aeropress, French Press, Moka pot, Kinu M47, Feldgrind, Porlex Mini, Kawasaki Versys 650 mk1

Coffeefusion on youtube was my number 1 resource. For someone who is so good at it hes very good at dumbing down the key points

Have found Coffeefusion very good over the years too. Im still not great at art but alot better than I was before watching their videos

I have a consistency problem with latte art, and wondered if others had similar.

Sometimes the espresso can give a darker, reddish brown mottled appearance. When I pour into this, the crema can sort of stick together and come away from the edges of the cup. This makes it impossible to keep art centralised, as it just wanders around.

I’ve tried swirling the shot first with varying results.

I think I’m maybe trying not to disturb the crema when initially pouring, rather than going for it to set up an even canvas before doing any art.

Also... sometimes the milk just disappears. I do think bigger cups might help here to get the pitcher in a bit closer.

Any thoughts?

2000 - Krups Vivo + Whittard hand grinder

2010 - Gaggia Classic + Iberital MC2

2017 - ECM Mechanika IV Profi + Niche Zero

Aeropress / V60 / Puck Puck / Cafetière / Moka Pot / Ibrik (كـَنـَكـَة) / Lido E

I have a consistency problem with latte art, and wondered if others had similar.

Sometimes the espresso can give a darker, reddish brown mottled appearance. When I pour into this, the crema can sort of stick together and come away from the edges of the cup. This makes it impossible to keep art centralised, as it just wanders around.

I’ve tried swirling the shot first with varying results.

I’m no expert but I always swirl. You could try a quick swirl after you’ve laid down that first pour to amalgamate it?

I think I’m maybe trying not to disturb the crema when initially pouring, rather than going for it to set up an even canvas before doing any art.

You shouldn’t do if you are starting high.

Also... sometimes the milk just disappears. I do think bigger cups might help here to get the pitcher in a bit closer.

Any thoughts?

Sometimes it’s difficult to get really close and sometimes it can depend on what happened with that first 'laying down', or whatever it’s called. And sometimes if it’s poured too fast it disappears.

I think the more you pour the more obvious it will all become. That’s the thing that frustrates me most, I think, only doing 3 or 4 a day!

The frustration for me is inconsistent results.

Sometimes you have almost total control, and other times it’s pot luck.

I did note your swirl technique, amongst blindfolded shenanigans. I had tried to copy it, but found it didn’t always help.

Think I need to check some videos again.

2000 - Krups Vivo + Whittard hand grinder

2010 - Gaggia Classic + Iberital MC2

2017 - ECM Mechanika IV Profi + Niche Zero

Aeropress / V60 / Puck Puck / Cafetière / Moka Pot / Ibrik (كـَنـَكـَة) / Lido E

The frustration for me is inconsistent results.

Sometimes you have almost total control, and other times it’s pot luck.

I did note your swirl technique, amongst blindfolded shenanigans. I had tried to copy it, but found it didn’t always help.

Think I need to check some videos again.

It is frustrating when it goes ok and then the next time it doesn’t! I'm hopeful I am through that stage now - as long as I concentrate and don’t rush then I can turn out a Tulip that’s pretty ok most of the time, something I only dreamed of a few months ago :)

One thing that helped me improve my art quite a bit was taking a moment to let the milk and espresso still right before pouring, if I pour with the espresso wobbling in the cup from swirling it a lot of weird shapes seem to come out.

Beans>Grinders>Machines

Not an expert but the way I do it for customers and for advertising slightly different.

When I do it for customers I always use thermometer and steam it at 65c but for advertising I always judge it with my hand.

Tip in and when the milk start getting warm, push it in slightly until the bottom jug to hot to touch. When I measured it with thermometer, roughly around 55-60c and the milk just perfect for latte art.

That's one of the cappuccino I did this week. 820a776cfc91d7d51adbf163cee0af10.jpg