DavecUK

ACS Minima Beta Machines - creating list of people who want one

Not on a commercial machine. Why?
I wouldn't consider the Minima a commercial machine (despite me using one for commercial purposes ).

Just asking to get to the bottom of your expectations... what do you hope to improve by adding this ability to the Minima?

It already has a really slow ramp rate, that covers around 90% of the time I pre-infuse on my Rocket. When it starts extracting,

it takes another 10 seconds to reach full flow. Usually pull a 18in/35-38out in 35-40 seconds (depending on bean) for a very smooth and clean extraction. Just my personal opinion, I wouldn't ask for more in this little machiney.

says Hasi.

'This Sunday I will be out in the road saying - "Hasi says your impeading me from pursuing my recreational motivations while you wank off over the finer details of some aloof brainfork" :whistle: ' @jimbojohn55

Deep Thought says 'tight wiggles' is the answer. @Scotford

By commercial I meant E61. I've used a Pavoni in the past. I hope to improve control over pressure. Mine doesn't ramp up particularly slowly, very much like a standard E61. I haven't installed the group pressure gauge yet so maybe I'll see something different on that. Even so it would be nice to have control over the course of the extraction.

Expobar DB Office Leva IV, La Pavoni Professional -- FOR SALE: MBK HEFT, Torr Goldfinger Titan Convex & 58.55 Flat -- Ceado E8, Lido E, Pharos VDD -- 2 and 5 cup Syphons; Vintage Nicro Metal Filter -- Gene Cafe CBR101 with Dimmer Mod and Bean Mass Probe

That'd be the Vesuvius then, or a Bianca.

___

Eat, drink and be merry

Rocket R58Ceado E37SAeropressAerGrind • Puck Puck cold brew widget • VST 18g basket • Torr Goldfinger 58.5 convex black Ti/walnut tamper • Torr Goldfinger 58.5 flat sharp edge tamper • Big bag o' beans • Triumph Street Triple 675R

Yes, those two machines come with pressure profiling ability in their stock form, with the Vesuvius offering far more repeatability if not also control. With a vibe pump you've got the option of using PWM based control, or you can add a needle valve after the expansion valve which handily sits at the very top of the case in the Minima. Adding on top of the group requires the bolt to be drilled and a needle to be manufactured, adding after the expansion valve/opv allows you to just use a standard plumbing part. You could use it to flow profile through a shot or decrease/increase flow rate as you would increase/decrease pressure using the expansion valve.

Expobar DB Office Leva IV, La Pavoni Professional -- FOR SALE: MBK HEFT, Torr Goldfinger Titan Convex & 58.55 Flat -- Ceado E8, Lido E, Pharos VDD -- 2 and 5 cup Syphons; Vintage Nicro Metal Filter -- Gene Cafe CBR101 with Dimmer Mod and Bean Mass Probe

Is the Minima fitted with compression or non compression type steam and hot water valves?

Compression on the Betas and I made no recommendation for non compression ones. Reliable and cheaper if you're not heavy handed.

ACS Vesuvius DBPP, Izzo Duetto DB, Minima DB, Lelit Bianca Prototype DB (paddle flow control) BTC Machines: Roasters: Amazon Dalian 1kg Drum Roaster, other failed roasters: Grinders: Ceado E92, Niche US and UK: 145kg assorted greens: My reviews at https://coffeeequipmentreviews.wordpress.com/

Compression on the Betas and I made no recommendation for non compression ones. Reliable and cheaper if you're not heavy handed.

Sorry for my ignorance here. What’s the difference between them? Are compression the “standard” type and non-compression those which have a spring and come with fancy machines?

Sorry for my ignorance here. What’s the difference between them? Are compression the “standard” type and non-compression those which have a spring and come with fancy machines?

Sort of, there isn't a huge difference in price, but every little helps and the standard ones can actually be a little more reliable if people are not heavy handed.

ACS Vesuvius DBPP, Izzo Duetto DB, Minima DB, Lelit Bianca Prototype DB (paddle flow control) BTC Machines: Roasters: Amazon Dalian 1kg Drum Roaster, other failed roasters: Grinders: Ceado E92, Niche US and UK: 145kg assorted greens: My reviews at https://coffeeequipmentreviews.wordpress.com/

So it looks like the final production machine got rid of the dual pressure gauge on the body and now it has a single gauge right on the grouphead?

Based on the Bella barista description and pics.

Edited by gus6464

So it looks like the final production machine got rid of the dual pressure gauge on the body and now it has a single gauge right on the grouphead?

That’s good. So one can set the temp of the service boiler using the PID, providing everything is fine, you really don’t need a gauge for the steam boiler, and also can see the actual group pressure when pulling a shot, and not the pressure of the water after the OPV.

Well done ACS!

True :cool: yea that makes sense in terms of meaninful readouts.

And I believe it helps cutting costs a bit more. Usually them dual gauges are well over 30-40 quid before tax, whereas supplied Orman gauge amounts to some 10-15 maybe. That also comes in handy if the part would fail one day: cheaply and easily replaceable :good:

@Paolo_Cortese : think I speak for all interested members, especially for all Beta testers, when I ask you to post a few insights into what you guys changed for the production model?

Or are we maybe gonna see a revised @DavecUK review at a later stage?

Thank you guys!

says Hasi.

'This Sunday I will be out in the road saying - "Hasi says your impeading me from pursuing my recreational motivations while you wank off over the finer details of some aloof brainfork" :whistle: ' @jimbojohn55

True :cool: yea that makes sense in terms of meaninful readouts.

And I believe it helps cutting costs a bit more. Usually them dual gauges are well over 30-40 quid before tax, whereas supplied Orman gauge amounts to some 10-15 maybe. That also comes in handy if the part would fail one day: cheaply and easily replaceable :good:

@Paolo_Cortese : think I speak for all interested members, especially for all Beta testers, when I ask you to post a few insights into what you guys changed for the production model?

Or are we maybe gonna see a revised @DavecUK review at a later stage?

Thank you guys!

I am hoping to get a machine soon to do an actual review of the production model. If it doesn't arrive soon I will have forgotten what was on the beta! I was responsible for loosing the dual gauge on the body. I it gives:

• A cleaner look and easier to build
  • Service boiler temp shows on the Display anyway
  • It's more reliable as less piping and fittings
  • If the gauge fails changing a group one takes a few minutes
  • No pressure bounce, or false readings due to water expansion after the shot.
  • A reading directly at the group

It just made so much sense to not have it where gauges traditionally go....

Just discovered the bottomless portafilter that comes with the Minima doesn't fit a 22g VST basket, making a third party one a necessity for anyone wanting triple ristrettos.

On the subject of bottomless portafilters, is there anything about the Minima group that will prevent a third party e61 one being compatible?

I'm purchasing a Minima and haven't found an ACS accessory stockist in the UK.

On the subject of bottomless portafilters, is there anything about the Minima group that will prevent a third party e61 one being compatible?

I'm purchasing a Minima and haven't found an ACS accessory stockist in the UK.

No

Not all 'E61' portafilters have exactly the same lug thickness, although it's a minor point. They all fit. It's just that some might not lock in at exactly 6 o'clock. If that happens, change the gasket for a thicker/thinner Cafelat silicone rubber one and job's a good'un.

Or as Dave said. No.

___

Eat, drink and be merry

Rocket R58Ceado E37SAeropressAerGrind • Puck Puck cold brew widget • VST 18g basket • Torr Goldfinger 58.5 convex black Ti/walnut tamper • Torr Goldfinger 58.5 flat sharp edge tamper • Big bag o' beans • Triumph Street Triple 675R

Any Minima Beta testers interested in selling theirs in the UK? Is there a separate thread for that?

After flushing the service boiler with fresh water I got an A4 error today. Oddly enough, it would appear above 85C.

Hitting the little black button on service boiler limit stat didn't solve the issue (as per User Manual V1.2).

@DavecUK is it normal that an A4 doesn't show at all times?

Are these thermostats somehow sensitive to pump vibrations?

says Hasi.

These are the Minima Error Codes

• “A1”: Brew Boiler temperature probe not connected or short circuit

• “A2”: Brew Boiler temperature probe circuit break

• “A3”: Service Boiler temperature probe not connected or short circuit

• “A4”: Service Boiler temperature probe circuit break

• “A7”: filling time out

A7 is the one you might get when flushing the service boiler empty as it can take a while to fill and that one is non problematic, just switch machine on/off again. A4 means you either have a wire loose connected to a connector, the connector itself is loose,  there is a break in the wire underneath the insulation, or there is a problem where the wire terminates into the thermal probe on top of the boiler.

• Like 1

Yea, armed with my multimeter I'll strip all covers and trace wires, check connectors and terminals in a minute... needed to deep-clean up after my lunchtime muppetry and roast a few batches

Cheers Dave, hopefully it's not a blown thermostat or probe...!

says Hasi.

Now...

IMG_20190610_100205.jpg
IMG_20190610_092948.jpg

First thing I found was this burnt terminal cover at the Gicar unit. Turns out the connector was a bit loose and not all the way on. However this wire feeds the brew boiler... fixed it anyway and fired her up. Error gone!
Unplugged different cables: both NTC probes at Gicar socket, burnt power feed, service boiler limit stat. Checked resistance on all wires and sensors to/from/at service boiler. All good.

Finally, the error returned. It happened on a fully heated machine just when unplugging the service boiler limit stat black wire for a second time.

IMG_20190610_101858.jpg

Maybe coincidence but t2 reading went crazy (from 125 to 137 to 150 to A4). It was persistent until I emptied service boiler and refilled with cold water. In the beginning A4 still showed, then 150 downwards. Suddenly it jumped from 143 to 72.
Reduced temp to 120C, now reading is between 150 and A4 at 1.3bar as soon as 120C is reached.

So my guess is a faulty NTC probe that kinda works at times. A4 error seems to appear above 150C reading (which might not be the actual boiler temp since pressure was never above 1.5bar).
Or maybe there's something wrong with the Gicar?

says Hasi.

Sounds like the thermal sensor needs replacing for sure....Gicar will be fine.

• Like 1

On 10/06/2019 at 10:55, Hasi said:

Now...

IMG_20190610_100205.jpg
IMG_20190610_092948.jpg

First thing I found was this burnt terminal cover at the Gicar unit. Turns out the connector was a bit loose and not all the way on. However this wire feeds the brew boiler... fixed it anyway and fired her up. Error gone!
Unplugged different cables: both NTC probes at Gicar socket, burnt power feed, service boiler limit stat. Checked resistance on all wires and sensors to/from/at service boiler. All good.

Finally, the error returned. It happened on a fully heated machine just when unplugging the service boiler limit stat black wire for a second time.

IMG_20190610_101858.jpg

Maybe coincidence but t2 reading went crazy (from 125 to 137 to 150 to A4). It was persistent until I emptied service boiler and refilled with cold water. In the beginning A4 still showed, then 150 downwards. Suddenly it jumped from 143 to 72.
Reduced temp to 120C, now reading is between 150 and A4 at 1.3bar as soon as 120C is reached.

So my guess is a faulty NTC probe that kinda works at times. A4 error seems to appear above 150C reading (which might not be the actual boiler temp since pressure was never above 1.5bar).
Or maybe there's something wrong with the Gicar?

I had exactly this when my probe broke. To confirm you can switch the probes where they go into the controller then you should see t1 go crazy and t2 work.

I then also switched the whole probes over to allow me to make espresso and black coffee until I go the complete fix.

• Like 2