L&R

Gaggia Classic 2018 third generation?

Mainly because people are paranoid about aluminium boilers but are ok with lead "infused" brass.

Gaggia is still a powerful brand, mainly among novices, and any upgrades Philips is willing to make is welcomed. I'm hoping for a machine that's easy to modify.

If you are gonna mod one ( and hence break the warranty ) why pay new prices?

I write a blog, it's nothing to do with coffee ...

https://rjwinc.wordpress.com

Instagram - rjw_inc

Who said I'm gonna buy it new?

All I'm saying is nice that some useful components are making a return for those looking for an entry level machine. Eventualy I'll probably pick up a second hand one just to see what is the difference between this and the pre 2015 model. A bit unfair since mine is fully modded and atm we don't know how easily modifiable the new one will be.

Unlike button pressed

Gaggia Classic 2010(PID&IMS 200µm shower screen&Brass Dispersion Plate&OPV&Steam Wand Modded) | Kinu M47 V3 | Mazzer Major Electronic 2017Niche Zero on trial | Bottomless Portafilter&VST Ridgeless 15gr and 18gr | Decent Tamper V2 | MouMou 58mm Distribution Tool | 2X 64oz Airscapes & CoffeeVac

I'm a bit surprised they've decided to go back to the smaller aluminium boiler.

Laissez les bons temps rouler

The old one is even better now :)

GaggiaEnthusiast

Buying expensive equipment won't make you barista!

The old one is even better now :)

which old one lol the 2015 model or pre 2015?

I don't like the idea of alluminion boiler, so out of the all I would prefer the 2015 model as the boiler is stainless steel.

back to proper rocker switches by the look of it....improvement

Gaggia Classic Chrome - Mignon Specialita 55

I’m glad they came to their senses and updated the machine. So now it has an SS boiler (or not) a proper steam wand and a solenoid valve. What’s not to like?

Shame about the auto shut off nonsense though.... does it still have it?

Edit: didn’t realise they went back to the old aluminium boiler.... a step backwards for sure.

Gosh, I had no idea there was any controversy over the aluminium boiler models... kinda makes me want to think about changing mine now. :eek:

Gosh, I had no idea there was any controversy over the aluminium boiler models... kinda makes me want to think about changing mine now. :eek:

There's nothing at all wrong with an aluminium boiler. No health issues, etc. In fact the caffeine in your coffee is significantly more of a worry (health wise) than any aluminium or aluminium oxide that may be in your boiler!

Lots of everything: machines, grinders, roaster, beans, tampers, baskets, blah, blah

However - Too much is never enough!

There's nothing at all wrong with an aluminium boiler. No health issues, etc. In fact the caffeine in your coffee is significantly more of a worry (health wise) than any aluminium or aluminium oxide that may be in your boiler!
The only issue I have with the aluminum boiler is the size of it compared with the stainless one they could have used.

The only issue I have with the aluminum boiler is the size of it compared with the stainless one they could have used.

Indeed! There's pros and cons of a larger boiler as well though. You need a good compromise. I'd tend to agree, that the aluminium one is perhaps slightly small - but a preheat system makes it almost like a large thermoblock (not a bad thing).

Lots of everything: machines, grinders, roaster, beans, tampers, baskets, blah, blah

However - Too much is never enough!

Well, that's a little more reassuring, thank you!

Well, that's a little more reassuring, thank you!

Thats not true.Alluminum boiler corrodes and aluminum salts end to your drink.Thats why the use of alluminum in cookware has decreased in the last decades .Neurological diseases such as Alzheimer have been correlated with the presence of alluminum deposits in the brain.Aluminium passes through the blood brain barrier...Caffeine instead has neuroprotective properties. Exactly the opposite.

Thats not true.Alluminum boiler corrodes and aluminum salts end to your drink.Thats why the use of alluminum in cookware has decreased in the last decades .Neurological diseases such as Alzheimer have been correlated with the presence of alluminum deposits in the brain.Aluminium passes through the blood brain barrier...Caffeine instead has neuroprotective properties. Exactly the opposite.
Hmm. Maybe a scaled up boiler us a good thing...

So these effects are a net wash!... We are good to go...

You got a bit carried away and you're trying to pass speculations and assumptions as facts. Back it off a notch or two.

There's a greater chance all of the other processed crap we are eating every single day, is going to kill us long before aluminium has a chance.

You got a bit carried away and you're trying to pass speculations and assumptions as facts. Back it off a notch or two.

There's a greater chance all of the other processed crap we are eating every single day, is going to kill us long before aluminium has a chance.

Aluminum causes an oxidative stress within brain tissue. Since the elimination half-life of aluminum from the human brain is 7 years, this can result in cumulative damage via the element's interference with neurofilament axonal transport and neurofilament assembly.

Exposure to high levels of aluminum may also cause respiratory and neurological disorders. Studies have confirmed that aluminum is partly responsible for brain loss and causing certain diseases such as; Parkinson’s Disease, Alzheimer’s, Dementia, Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis (ALS), Anemia, blood disorders and dental problems. I am an anesthesiologist intensivist and i don't speculate but these are facts known to the scientific world the last 30 years .