IGNORED

Grinder for Aeropress & Cafetiere

I have just bought an Aeropress to try, looking forward to that! I will be using it mainly in the office.

I would like also to get a burr grinder that will be optimal for Aeropress and also the Cafetiere.

Would the grind size for both Aeropress & the Cafetiere be roughtly the same? Keen to learn.

:good::coffee:

If you have a smaller, or glass single-walled cafetiere, then yes, you can use the same grind size, just be careful not to kick up the silt when you pour the cafetiere at end of brew, also don't press the plunger into the steeping coffee, nor push it all the way down at the end. Check out James Hoffmann's cafetiere method on Youtube to see what I mean.

Most burr grinders will work fine, I wouldn't use the Zassenhaus hand grinders as they don't all go fine enough. Rhino/Hario/Porlex at the cheaper end for hand grinders, Lido/Kinu/Made by Knock (buy from a reseller only, not MBK direct) for faster hand grinding.

Wilfa, Baratza will be OK for electric grinders.

What's your budget?

If you have a smaller, or glass single-walled cafetiere, then yes, you can use the same grind size, just be careful not to kick up the silt when you pour the cafetiere at end of brew, also don't press the plunger into the steeping coffee, nor push it all the way down at the end. Check out James Hoffmann's cafetiere method on Youtube to see what I mean.

Most burr grinders will work fine, I wouldn't use the Zassenhaus hand grinders as they don't all go fine enough. Rhino/Hario/Porlex at the cheaper end for hand grinders, Lido/Kinu/Made by Knock (buy from a reseller only, not MBK direct) for faster hand grinding.

Wilfa, Baratza will be OK for electric grinders.

What's your budget?

Thanks!

I don't think I would want to spend anymore than 50 quid or so.

Up to now I have been smashing up beans in a Breville Blender for use in a Cafetiere, sacrilege I am sure!!! But it still got them fine, yet coarse enough to make a decent brew.

Thanks!

I don't think I would want to spend anymore than 50 quid or so.

Up to now I have been smashing up beans in a Breville Blender for use in a Cafetiere, sacrilege I am sure!!! But it still got them fine, yet coarse enough to make a decent brew.

That pretty much limits you to Rhino/Porlex/Hario Slim. Might find a Bodum Bistro electric on offer for just a bit more than £50?

Would I be better spending more? Just seems expensive to spend more on something which you can do with a rolling pin, to a degree haha

Define "better"?

The hand grinders mentioned will do the job, but slowly & make grinding large doses a chore. OK for 1 mug brews.

The Bodum, Wilfa & Baratza grinders are perfectly adequate for what you want, but like anything, you can spend what you want, over £2k if you like?

A rolling pin wont do the job. You really want something with a gap (e.g. burrs) to regulate the larger particles & grind consistently from one brew to the next. You will always get small particles when you break up coffee, but too many large ones will make the coffee sour.

If you don't want to spend anything, don't, buy preground.

Your life will be much simpler and your coffee better, if you buy an adequate grinder.

Define "better"?

The hand grinders mentioned will do the job, but slowly & make grinding large doses a chore. OK for 1 mug brews.

The Bodum, Wilfa & Baratza grinders are perfectly adequate for what you want, but like anything, you can spend what you want, over £2k if you like?

A rolling pin wont do the job. You really want something with a gap (e.g. burrs) to regulate the larger particles & grind consistently from one brew to the next. You will always get small particles when you break up coffee, but too many large ones will make the coffee sour.

If you don't want to spend anything, don't, buy preground.

Your life will be much simpler and your coffee better, if you buy an adequate grinder.

I think idea would be something for 4-5 servings at a time to last for a day.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Krups-Expert-GVX231-Coffee-Grinder/dp/B0002H2IOM/ref=pd_lpo_sbs_201_t_2?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=TY8Z0GA4EM06NKCBC0WK

Wondering if that would be reasonable?

I know a few friends that use the Krups grinder for cafetière. It's a good starting point, as it's often the lowest price electric burr grinder around.

The differences between this and something in the £100-300 bracket seem to be range, consistency and repairability.

As has been said, £50 will get you a reasonable hand grinder, but if you're keen to go electric, you can do a lot worse than the Krups. It's not going to win any awards, but you'll be able to make much better coffee from beans than pre-ground.

And if at some point you find it's not up to the job any more, you can begin the long, expensive upgradeitis journey most of us are on [emoji16]

I think idea would be something for 4-5 servings at a time to last for a day.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Krups-Expert-GVX231-Coffee-Grinder/dp/B0002H2IOM/ref=pd_lpo_sbs_201_t_2?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=TY8Z0GA4EM06NKCBC0WK

Wondering if that would be reasonable?

4-5 servings at a time puts the cheaper hand grinders out of contention. (When you say "serving" I assume you are talking a ~4-5oz cup, as a 1L French press only makes about 3x 8oz mugs/4-5cups, a 1.5L will make 4x 8oz mugs/5-6 cups.

Honestly, I think spending more like £100 on an electric grinder is still a much better & still relatively small investment. (I have owned a Krups in the past).

I'd save up a bit for a Wilfa Svart or a Baratza.

Also in a few weeks time a grinder called the Niche comes out. A lot of us on the forum have one pre ordered and I'd imagine when they arrive there will be a few grinders on the for sale thread. I might even stick my Wilfa on there! :)

I'd save up a bit for a Wilfa Svart or a Baratza.

Also in a few weeks time a grinder called the Niche comes out. A lot of us on the forum have one pre ordered and I'd imagine when they arrive there will be a few grinders on the for sale thread. I might even stick my Wilfa on there! :)

Thanks will look into that, I may see about getting one shortly.

When you grind coffee beans of course they are freshest when you make the brew right away, but how long could I store them in a jar before they are passing their 'best before' ?

e.g. should I grind beans everyday for the day, or would a weeks worth still be lovely and fresh if kept in an air tight container?

Thanks will look into that, I may see about getting one shortly.

When you grind coffee beans of course they are freshest when you make the brew right away, but how long could I store them in a jar before they are passing their 'best before' ?

e.g. should I grind beans everyday for the day, or would a weeks worth still be lovely and fresh if kept in an air tight container?

Personally I grind just before every brew.

• 2 weeks later...

id say the Baratza encore is most definitely adequate for both and will provide you a good enough grind for home and office use, i even used one in my cafe for a few months then replaced it with an EK, but hey it does do the job, made tons of cold brew with it, filter and ground retail bags for customers. Not the fastest but for £100 through my supplier, well worth it.