fatboyslim

LSOL August - Bailies Coffee Roasters [Belfast]

Mine arrived today, well courier company had them since saturday. Finally got to me this afternoon. Trying a quick v60 now very nice.

20180822_151955.jpg

Just found a stone too!

Home: Sage Dual Boiler, Probat EK43 & Feldgind

Work: Sage Dual Boiler & Niche Zero

They are so sneaky. Please watch out people. Just had a very tasty brew though. So yummy!

Yes, glad of the previous heads up.

They are so sneaky. Please watch out people. Just had a very tasty brew though. So yummy!

Cheers FBS. Is there an easy way to sift out stones? I tip into a hopper rather than single dose.

Sage DB; Mazzer Major; VST 15g, 18g & 20g Baskets;TORR Trapez & Perger Tamper

Oh bugger. Better empty my hopper and have a look.. Tried as a spro yesterday and was a bit out. Had a V60 earlier and that was nice. Can't pinpoint any flavour notes though.

Input: 'Terranovered’ Versalab M3 + Mahlkonig EK43 Turkish burrs + Niche

Output: KVdW Speedster + V60 + AeroPress + Syphon + Bialetti Induction Moka Pot + Bialetti Mucka Express + jar of instant for visitors..

Cheers FBS. Is there an easy way to sift out stones? I tip into a hopper rather than single dose.
I spread them out on a deep pyrex oven tray to check them.

Laissez les bons temps rouler

Another day another stone....

I split these into two; half for home, half for work. I found one at work then one at home and have now gone through all the home batch and not found any more. Luckily I'm single dosing. I'm told it's most likely from drying them on patios rather than on raised beds.

Another day another stone....

I split these into two; half for home, half for work. I found one at work then one at home and have now gone through all the home batch and not found any more. Luckily I'm single dosing. I'm told it's most likely from drying them on patios rather than on raised beds.

Yes, basically drying the cherries on the floor. Screening gets rid of most of the stones so only the ones that are very similar in size, shape etc to a bean make it through.

I poured my bag out into a Pyrex dish and had a quick look for more stones. Took about a minute.

So, I went through my bag - no stones found there, thankfully!

Had a cup as a flat white today, not really picking up any major notes though. In fact, i'm getting a little bit of a burnt flavour for some reason. Not bitter or sour, but smoky. When sifting through the beans I only found a smattering of burnt beans, so I guess i'll just go for "smoky", for now! :p

Nuova Simonelli Oscar II // Macap MXD //

I’ve gone in! First shot landed pretty much in the range I would expect for this light-ish roast at the 34g in the cup in 39s for 15.4g beans. I knew I’d need the grind fairly fine, the beans look like a recent light roast from The Barn. The first thing I thought was marzipan - a huge smell of almond-marzipan! The taste, and I’m pretty useless at this unless I know what it is I should be tasting, was fruity (and it reminded me of something I’d had recently but can’t for the life of me recall what) . Anyway, I like it! Second cup, nipped the grind slightly more but didn’t discern any noticeable change in the cup but there was still that marzipan smell.

All very helpful, I hear you say!!!

2019 L-R with hand turned Thuya burr handles and toggles / 1998 La Pavoni with NickNak single hole steam wand tip  / Monolith Titan Conical & MAX  / HG-1 / Kalita wave / Stag kettle / OCD / Joey Skateboard Handle Pullman Big Step & matching stirrer /  gold B Plus stirrer / Wenge Handle Lev Tamp / Push Tamper / Puqpress / 15g & 18g vst / IMS 35μM / LDT / Barista Gear Titanium 12oz pitchers / LW Bean Cellars & Caddy / Decent thermometer / Acme Evo 150ml cups / Espazzola / Hottop / embroidered by me bar towels / coffee bar towel logo embroiderer to the hoi polloi  / in the cellars: Steampunk, North Star, Foundry, The Barn, HasBean, Coffee Compass / 6 gorgeous guineas / a dog / a very lovely and understanding husband 

I’ve gone in! First shot landed pretty much in the range I would expect for this light-ish roast at the 34g in the cup in 39s for 15.4g beans. I knew I’d need the grind fairly fine, the beans look like a recent light roast from The Barn. The first thing I thought was marzipan - a huge smell of almond-marzipan! The taste, and I’m pretty useless at this unless I know what it is I should be tasting, was fruity (and it reminded me of something I’d had recently but can’t for the life of me recall what) . Anyway, I like it! Second cup, nipped the grind slightly more but didn’t discern any noticeable change in the cup but there was still that marzipan smell.

With a description like that I can hardly wait to try it but gotta somehow wait to use up the beans I have open first.

Laissez les bons temps rouler

Aah marzipan is a good call, I was going to say I was getting sugared almonds!

Had a few V60s, started at 1:8 on the Feldgrind but it was taking over 3 and a half minutes and heading towards being a little bitter so I loosened the grind to 1:12 & it's a lot cleaner.

Bright, fruity, sugared almonds. :)

Oh and it's got to be a natural hasn't it!?

Gaggia Classic / Aeropress / V60 / Niche Zero / Wilfa Svart / Feldgrind

just been through the beans - and found a stone , do I win a tour of the chocolate factory?

its worth checking through as there are a few burnt / odd beans enough to throw off a few shots, so worth doing, lovely smell from them, had a spro earlier and was pretty good, again couldn't place the taste.

edit back in the day it reminds me of beans I used to roast from Sumatra or costa rica they had the odd stone as well, ahem I mean extra healthy minerals

IMG_20180823_215227807.jpg

Edited by jimbojohn55

keep calm and grind flat

Forgot to say I was stone free & yes the smell of the beans is gorgeous... Milk chocolate digestives. I want a coffee that tastes like this smells...

Gaggia Classic / Aeropress / V60 / Niche Zero / Wilfa Svart / Feldgrind

Stone free here but yes, a few burnt beans to pick out ;)

2019 L-R with hand turned Thuya burr handles and toggles / 1998 La Pavoni with NickNak single hole steam wand tip  / Monolith Titan Conical & MAX  / HG-1 / Kalita wave / Stag kettle / OCD / Joey Skateboard Handle Pullman Big Step & matching stirrer /  gold B Plus stirrer / Wenge Handle Lev Tamp / Push Tamper / Puqpress / 15g & 18g vst / IMS 35μM / LDT / Barista Gear Titanium 12oz pitchers / LW Bean Cellars & Caddy / Decent thermometer / Acme Evo 150ml cups / Espazzola / Hottop / embroidered by me bar towels / coffee bar towel logo embroiderer to the hoi polloi  / in the cellars: Steampunk, North Star, Foundry, The Barn, HasBean, Coffee Compass / 6 gorgeous guineas / a dog / a very lovely and understanding husband 

Had a few v60s out on the road this week. I'm getting a bit of a tropical vibe, something like pineapple or passion fruit perhaps and yes I'd say a natural too. Delicious.

Absolutely no idea where its from though!

Had a few v60s out on the road this week. I'm getting a bit of a tropical vibe, something like pineapple or passion fruit perhaps and yes I'd say a natural too. Delicious.

Absolutely no idea where its from though!

Belfast :D

Tipped mine out, and no stones. Phew..

Half a dozen charcoaled beans though.

Had a espresso of this earlier with the same again in hot water. 18g into 34g. 55s pre-infusion. Can't remember exact finishing time, but it isn't important. Was getting a definite flavour coming though. Maybe marzipan? Never been keen on marzipan so followed it with a long black made with #SSSSS.

Input: 'Terranovered’ Versalab M3 + Mahlkonig EK43 Turkish burrs + Niche

Output: KVdW Speedster + V60 + AeroPress + Syphon + Bialetti Induction Moka Pot + Bialetti Mucka Express + jar of instant for visitors..

First espresso this morning, 18g - 36g in 35 secs, was spot on, nice grapefruit/pineapple but sweet flavour, going by 1st impression this could be a favourite LSOL of mine. Though sometimes it's either the first or last drink I seem to get it right.

What's the point...it'll only change soon!

I really want to say "bags of stone fruit" based on what I've read- but I haven't actually opened mine yet - probably early next week judging by the 100g or so I still have in the hopper. Thanks for the heads up re stones. I always check each 250g as i load it using one of those folding 'chop 2 pot' chopping boards. But I'll be extra vigilant. Previously, maybe one member would find one stone. Several people finding them means vigilance required. They smell lovely in the bag though, I can't wait to start them.

Edit. Thoroughly checked, one or 2 scorched beans hoicked out but most importantly NO stones. Hopper loaded and set to rock'n'roll (Not stone n grind...)

___

Eat, drink and be merry

Edited by hotmetal

Rocket R58Ceado E37SAeropressAerGrind • Puck Puck cold brew widget • VST 18g basket • Torr Goldfinger 58.5 convex black Ti/walnut tamper • Torr Goldfinger 58.5 flat sharp edge tamper • Big bag o' beans • Triumph Street Triple 675R

This coffee has opened up a bit in last few days. Definitely in nicest window for brewing for me. How is espresso? (Not milk drinks)

This coffee has opened up a bit in last few days. Definitely in nicest window for brewing for me. How is espresso? (Not milk drinks)

I had 2 this morning and they were both really nice, maybe just needed resting till now.

Still loving this today, I'm guessing Kenyan.

Thanks for the heads up about the stones, this is the first time I’ve checked. Will definitely check from now on!

c3af4dd7f019a02ae513ba27cd742dac.jpg

Vesuvius, Monolith Conical, Feldgrind