Sign in to follow this  
Teaboy

Turning water into coffee

Hi everybody

Please could you all be of help, I am

after the best bottled water to use in espresso machine that will not cause it to scale up. I am sure this has been asked before but supermarkets etc have a habit of changing suppliers from time to time

Thanks

Rob

Think Essential Waitrose Lockhills is the best 1 bottle solution at the moment.

Laissez les bons temps rouler

One part Volvic to every 3 parts Lockhills, or just use Lockhills on its own. That's how I read it. The red number relates to the water written in red, etc.

___

Eat, drink and be merry

Rocket R58Ceado E37SAeropressAerGrind • Puck Puck cold brew widget • VST 18g basket • Torr Goldfinger 58.5 convex black Ti/walnut tamper • Torr Goldfinger 58.5 flat sharp edge tamper • Big bag o' beans • Triumph Street Triple 675R

MWJB said and I believe I have this correct that Waitrose Essentials Lockhills can be used as it comes, i.e. straight from the bottle no need to mix with anything (perhaps a scotch if that's your thing). Volvic is close to this but ideally needs a little something added, the easiest way to read the chart is to find your brand of water in the top row (Red) and then to go down noting what is required to be added to from the left row (Blue) to make an approved mix. For example, Aqua Pure/Ashbeck in the first column (Red) if used with Asda Smart Price Water left column (Blue) should be mixed at the ratio of 1 part ASPW to 2 parts Ashbeck.

Hope this makes sense

It doesn't matter how you get there it's only the end result that matters

MWJB said and I believe I have this correct that Waitrose Essentials Lockhills can be used as it comes, i.e. straight from the bottle no need to mix with anything (perhaps a scotch if that's your thing). Volvic is close to this but ideally needs a little something added, the easiest way to read the chart is to find your brand of water in the top row (Red) and then to go down noting what is required to be added to from the left row (Blue) to make an approved mix. For example, Aqua Pure/Ashbeck in the first column (Red) if used with Asda Smart Price Water left column (Blue) should be mixed at the ratio of 1 part ASPW to 2 parts Ashbeck.

Hope this makes sense

Sorry to go back to this, just wandering whether adding volvic would make it softer or not??

Sorry to go back to this, just wandering whether adding volvic would make it softer or not??

Adding Volvic to Lockhills? Won't make a great deal of difference to total hardness, but will increase alkalinity. To be honest, if you were running out of Lockhills and added Volvic to top it up, fine, but otherwise I wouldn't see the point. You're not going to make a major gain/loss - a realistic brew ratio & grind setting will be much more important for flavour.

“Coffee evokes the most insane reactions in people”, Rene Redzepi.

https://markwjburness.wordpress.com/

Adding Volvic to Lockhills? Won't make a great deal of difference to total hardness, but will increase alkalinity. To be honest, if you were running out of Lockhills and added Volvic to top it up, fine, but otherwise I wouldn't see the point. You're not going to make a major gain/loss - a realistic brew ratio & grind setting will be much more important for flavour.

So hopefully with lockhills I will not have to descale, that is my major issue?

So hopefully with lockhills I will not have to descale, that is my major issue?

Lockhills is the most ideal bottled water available for machine health.

“Coffee evokes the most insane reactions in people”, Rene Redzepi.

https://markwjburness.wordpress.com/

Lockhills is the most ideal bottled water available for machine health.

Thank you, just keeping fingers crossed I

Will not get scale, be going to stock up on

Lockhills tomorrow pending arrival of machine

Enjoy the new machine, it'll live a happy scale-free life if you follow MWJB's advice on water.

It doesn't matter how you get there it's only the end result that matters

Enjoy the new machine, it'll live a happy scale-free life if you follow MWJB's advice on water.

Thank you, I will do.