LukeT

Plumbing in an Alex Duetto

Building a new kitchen soon and will be plumbing my machine in. It's an Alex Duetto Mk IV from 2013.

Can anyone point me to a list of the connectors/parts I need to do this?

Not onto filters yet - having not yet experienced scale I'm hoping not to need one but I will be testing the water in case I do.

Building a new kitchen soon and will be plumbing my machine in. It's an Alex Duetto Mk IV from 2013.

Can anyone point me to a list of the connectors/parts I need to do this?

Not onto filters yet - having not yet experienced scale I'm hoping not to need one but I will be testing the water in case I do.

Hello Luke.

Initially people will want to know some basic details, where you are in the country and if possible a breakdown of your current water supply, something that can either be obtained off the internet or your water provider.

As to connections inside the house, what is your existing plumbing ie copper or plastic, 1/2" or 3/4" ... 15mm or 22mm.

Jon.

One Life this is it, it's not a rehearsal so enjoy it best you can - Have some fun, buy a coffee machine.;)

ECM Synchronika - ECM V-Titan 64 Grinder - EXPOBAR MEGGACREM 2 Group - MAZZER Super Jolly grinder with doser -  AMIR Scales and they work fine - 15-18-20-22-25g VST Filter Baskets - Several MOTTA Jugs and a Home Made Knock Box. - Useful contributions from the Family.

People will also make the assumption that you got all the pipes that originally came with the machine and the washers have not fallen out the ends (which they are inclined to do).......if you had it from new you should have, but if you purchased used...you might not have.

Edited by DavecUK

ACS Vesuvius DBPP, Izzo Duetto DB, Minima DB, Lelit Bianca Prototype DB (paddle flow control) BTC Machines: Roasters: Amazon Dalian 1kg Drum Roaster, other failed roasters: Grinders: Ceado E92, Niche US and UK: 145kg assorted greens: My reviews at https://coffeeequipmentreviews.wordpress.com/

Good questions. Thank you.

@DavecUK I worded my question ambiguously... I bought the machine 2nd hand and don't have the pipes so those parts are the main thing I'm after at this point. I have a plumber doing the hard bit so I think I just need to source the machine-specific stuff and define what connector that needs to fit to.

@xpresso new house, first fix just going in!

On the water supply front I am in Devon, using mains tap water currently but hoping to put a borehole in. Hence I haven't tested what I have at the tap and am leaving water supply peculariarities until I confirm borehole situation, extract some of the stuff, spec the filtration equipment the whole house needs and see what comes out the other end! I'll probably therefore pop up on here with another thread about filtration sometime in the next month or three.

Good questions. Thank you.

@DavecUK I worded my question ambiguously... I bought the machine 2nd hand and don't have the pipes so those parts are the main thing I'm after at this point. I have a plumber doing the hard bit so I think I just need to source the machine-specific stuff and define what connector that needs to fit to.

@xpresso new house, first fix just going in!

On the water supply front I am in Devon, using mains tap water currently but hoping to put a borehole in. Hence I haven't tested what I have at the tap and am leaving water supply peculariarities until I confirm borehole situation, extract some of the stuff, spec the filtration equipment the whole house needs and see what comes out the other end! I'll probably therefore pop up on here with another thread about filtration sometime in the next month or three.

So generally the trend is now plastic pipe 'John Guest' Style of equipment as one of the manufacturers, very easy to work with.

Other considerations, incoming water pressure (Do I need a pressure reducer), the last metre or so can be in 10mm for ease and discretion of fitting, if a machine comes with a mains connection pipe it's usually a length of flexi pipe with connection at either end.

Only other consideration is do you intend to fit a drain on the drip tray.

The bore hole interests me and what is the attraction ?, I believe you will need a licence to extract, I've fitted up well water supply's in the past, along with irrigation systems run from them.

Jon.

One Life this is it, it's not a rehearsal so enjoy it best you can - Have some fun, buy a coffee machine.;)

ECM Synchronika - ECM V-Titan 64 Grinder - EXPOBAR MEGGACREM 2 Group - MAZZER Super Jolly grinder with doser -  AMIR Scales and they work fine - 15-18-20-22-25g VST Filter Baskets - Several MOTTA Jugs and a Home Made Knock Box. - Useful contributions from the Family.

The borehole is for a combination of reduced water bills (our water rates are the highest in the country and the house we're buiding is potentially quite a heavy user, although still below the amount where we'd need a licence) and, in our case, removing the need for a bit of a long/difficult new mains water connection. I am therefore taking the view that while I'll never fully know the cost savings in doing it it should be broadly worthwhile for financial reasons. Assuming it's feasible, of course.

To put in a borehole we also need various tanks, pumps and filters, to deal with both the composition of the water we extract and the flow rate. This stuff does make it quite an expensive project all in and we can't be 100% sure of the details until we drill the hole but we do at least have a starting view from analysis of other local boreholes.

On the coffee machine front I plan to plumb in both supply and drain. So I guess I'm after details of the pipes and connectors I need. Mainly those I expect would've come with the machine.

The answer, is have a washing machine adapter fitted to supply the cold water feed. ~Ring BB and ask them for a plumb in kit. This connects the washing machine fitment to your machine via a braided hose. Presumably there will be a switch of some sort on the Duetto to switch over. You will want a fitting with a built in pressure gauge so you can turn the pressure down if it is too high

Aim for a pressure of about 2-2.5 bar, or whatever it says in the Bella Barista userguide (if I put it in there?).

ACS Vesuvius DBPP, Izzo Duetto DB, Minima DB, Lelit Bianca Prototype DB (paddle flow control) BTC Machines: Roasters: Amazon Dalian 1kg Drum Roaster, other failed roasters: Grinders: Ceado E92, Niche US and UK: 145kg assorted greens: My reviews at https://coffeeequipmentreviews.wordpress.com/

Fit a tap too so you can shut off the water for holidays etc - safety.

And consider line pressure pre-infusion for most/all your shots...... mains fed e61 not much in the way of anti-shock on the puck :-(

For any really fine grind I had channeling no matter how meticulous my prep - that didn’t happen when tank fed. 3 seconds or so line pressure first fixed it

Plumbed in Vesuvius - BWT Bestmax - Niche in Black. Aeropress and Aergrind

Live and Let Live

(Numpty questions to follow...)

So to pick this up again, I need to have plumbed in a pressure gauge/reducer to keep the pressure of the supply to below 2-2.5 bar?

Like this sort of thing: https://www.bes.co.uk/adjustable-pressure-reducing-valve-15-22mm-22301?

@kennyboy993 Is line pressure pre-infusion achieved by simply lifting the lever to the stopping point before where the pump activates for a defined period (3 secs) to allow mains pressure to feed the head before lifting it all the way to begin the shot proper?

Or is it more complicated than that? I've yet to try the machine plumbed in.

Edited by LukeT

The pressure reducer you indicated has a 22 mm and a 15 mm in / out , just make sure you have the reducer bushes to suit your pipe work.

That’s it Luke - i ensure mine is around 2 bar at the machine.

Yes - lever up enough to allow water through group but pump not on. I find 3 or 4 seconds is usually enough

Plumbed in Vesuvius - BWT Bestmax - Niche in Black. Aeropress and Aergrind

Live and Let Live

Sure thing.

What I did was carefully and methodically choose the point at which I drilled through the water pipe in the wall, which had a spur off it I hadn't identified.

I recommend not doing this, as it turned into a massive pain in the arse.

Nuova Simonelli Personal 1 ¦ Mazzer SJ

Sure thing.

What I did was carefully and methodically choose the point at which I drilled through the water pipe in the wall, which had a spur off it I hadn't identified.

I recommend not doing this, as it turned into a massive pain in the arse.

It took a while for me to gain confidence in using plastic, as in John Guest type, copper to plastic and I fully tested for a lot longer than recommended and now I'm a convert with the exception of close proximity of the boiler.

If you deal with copper pipe thats been painted, thoroughly remove the paint and unless the pipe is marked off, always apply a mark to the pipe, felt tip or pencil, before securing to the fitting to ensure it goes fully home into the fitting.

Jon.

It took a while for me to gain confidence in using plastic, as in John Guest type, copper to plastic and I fully tested for a lot longer than recommended and now I'm a convert with the exception of close proximity of the boiler.

If you deal with copper pipe thats been painted, thoroughly remove the paint and unless the pipe is marked off, always apply a mark to the pipe, felt tip or pencil, before securing to the fitting to ensure it goes fully home into the fitting.

Jon.

I'm an industrial plumber.

I've got no excuse. ;)

I'm an industrial plumber.

I've got no excuse. ;)

Akin to either working on a wrist watch or the town hall clock :rolleyes:.

Jon.

Akin to either working on a wrist watch or the town hall clock :rolleyes:.

Jon.

Precisely so.