IGNORED

Small Footprint Grinder

Hi All,

Hoping for some advice with a new grinder for the home setup. Currently have Compak K6 for espresso with my Gaggia Classic, but she's a little on the larger size* and I'm keen to reclaim some space in the kitchen.

I'm looking for a grinder with a smaller footprint and can fit under my counter top, so around 400mm in max height. I don't use it heavily, perhaps 5-8 doubles a week and single dose preferable. Price range ideally around the £150-£300 bracket, but I've some flex in there. Definitely more interested in the quality of what it produces over the looks.

From what I can see, Eureka Mignon and Mazzer SJ seem to fit that criteria, but really open to any advice. What would you pick if you were in my shoes? Cheers!

*the grinder, not my better half.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hi All,

Hoping for some advice with a new grinder for the home setup. Currently have Compak K6 for espresso with my Gaggia Classic, but she's a little on the larger size* and I'm keen to reclaim some space in the kitchen.

I'm looking for a grinder with a smaller footprint and can fit under my counter top, so around 400mm in max height. I don't use it heavily, perhaps 5-8 doubles a week and single dose preferable. Price range ideally around the £150-£300 bracket, but I've some flex in there. Definitely more interested in the quality of what it produces over the looks.

From what I can see, Eureka Mignon and Mazzer SJ seem to fit that criteria, but really open to any advice. What would you pick if you were in my shoes? Cheers!

Hi, did you consider the Niche Zero? Failing that, an Eureka Mignon will do the trick.

Current: Lelit Elizabeth / Niche Zero / VST baskets / Distilled water + 100mg NaCO3/L

Previous: Gaggia Classic | Eureka Mignon | Rocket Cellini Evo | Profitec 700 | Profitec T-64 | Gene Cafe CBR-101 | Kinu M68 | Feldgrind 2 | La Pavoni Europiccola 2012

Also at: CoffeeTime Forum & Niche Zero Owners Group

Hi, did you consider the Niche Zero? Failing that, an Eureka Mignon will do the trick.

I'd never heard of it until you mentioned it. I'ts a beautiful looking grinder but the £500 price tag might be a bit of a stretch for me. Any reviews?

I'd never heard of it until you mentioned it. I'ts a beautiful looking grinder but the £500 price tag might be a bit of a stretch for me. Any reviews?

Yes.

There’s a member here who has contributed immensely on the design on espresso machines and grinders. This member also reviewed the Niche as a prototype, and gave the feedback to them. He actually has a prototype version which as currently gone through 900 doubles... and he rates it.

Have a search on this forum and find out more.

I understand it’s not yet out, but there are a lot of us on this forum who have backed the project - including me - and are waiting for the first production units to be delivered.

If you want to go for something more solid: Eureka Mignon, all the way. Bout like a tank (not sure about the newer versions) but get from Bella Barista as their customer service and 2 year warranty is legendary.

Current: Lelit Elizabeth / Niche Zero / VST baskets / Distilled water + 100mg NaCO3/L

Previous: Gaggia Classic | Eureka Mignon | Rocket Cellini Evo | Profitec 700 | Profitec T-64 | Gene Cafe CBR-101 | Kinu M68 | Feldgrind 2 | La Pavoni Europiccola 2012

You can still pick one up from Indiegogo for £440 - but note that afaik Niche have not given any type of assurances that they would offer a manufacturers warranty on IGG purchases, so it may be best to wait until it hits retail and pay the £500. You will also be waiting until September for it.

That said, the prototype DavecUK reviewed punches well above its weight being easier to use and grinding as well as grinders 3-4x its price.

For 5-8 doubles a week, you might consider a manual grinder. Kinu M47 is rock solid and is within your budget.

Or the new MBK Feldgrind 47mm?

Had a Kinu M68 before, really rate the Kinu range.

Hi All,

Seriously consider the Niche, I feel it's 63mm conical Mazzer Kony burrs will produce much better grind quality than your K6, it's hugely smaller, totally kitchen friendly, has waaay less retention (to the point of being negligible), what you put in (it's a single doser), you will get out within about +/- 0.07g most of the time (0.07 isn't a typo). Work-flow is super easy. Don't let the price put you off....because it's exactly what you need it's a step up in all areas over your current grinder, for less money. The only thing you got with the Compaq, is the ability to hand the grinder to your son, as long as you put new burrs on it a few times. With the Niche after 25-30 years when the burrs are worn out, you could replace the, burrs, motor, bearings, chamber floor, all in about 10 minutes.....or you could simply buy another Niche for your son.

• Compak K6 burr life 400kg, replacement recommended at 350kg
  • Niche - Burr life 750kg, replacement recommended at 750kg

The only thing your Compak has that the Niche doesn't, it's built heavy for the abuses of commercial use...but that in effect is well over-engineered for the home and that over-engineering is not about grind quality. I mean did you really want a big hopper and a doser?

CFUK, the biggest, best and most friendly forum in the UK...with a wealth of knowledge among its many members.

400mm is tight. A mazzer mini with the weighing in lens hood mod could just about be used within 400mm. It comes out at 360mm. The Ceado E6 range is probably smaller with the same mod ( could be difficult to do that) and generally small all round but 440mm with a 600g hopper on. It might take the Mazzer 320g hopper and that might reduce the height more. Their 37j grinder takes it.

Ceado used is probably out of your price range given what sellers on Ebay want for them - too much really as often older models so should be SJ prices or less.

The Mignon has been updated recently and a used one of those should be in your price range. Mazzer mini as well, prices for those are rather variable though. It's not a bad idea to be able to see the first 2 digits of Mazzer serial number as that's the year of manufacture.

John

-

From the recommendations here, I hunted down your feedback in the other threads Dave and I'm starting to sway towards it. Browsed your Youtube videos and it looks gorgeous too, just need to see if indigogo purchases come with warranty, if they do I may punt at one this week.

And I'll have you know that I'm very proud of my massive hopper and sizable doser... they both have pride of place in a box in the shed :whistle:

From the recommendations here, I hunted down your feedback in the other threads Dave and I'm starting to sway towards it. Browsed your Youtube videos and it looks gorgeous too, just need to see if indigogo purchases come with warranty, if they do I may punt at one this week.

And I'll have you know that I'm very proud of my massive hopper and sizable doser... they both have pride of place in a box in the shed :whistle:

Do you really think they won't support their backers?

Edited by DavecUK

CFUK, the biggest, best and most friendly forum in the UK...with a wealth of knowledge among its many members.

Do you really think they won't support their backers?

I'd be inclined to think not, but to be fair, Indiegogo and Niche are both brand new to me before today and without wanting to sound too cynical, I try never to make assumptions. So I've contacted them just for peace of mind.

Advice and recommendations from well informed forum members are always a massive help, of course. :cool:

if you cant stretch to the niche, i can recommend the new mignon as having a very small footprint

I don't think there is any significant difference between the size of earlier and the recently introduced model. It seems that have done something about clumping on the new model or at least one version of it. There is more than one variation now and many many different colours ;) So you can change grinder to match the kitchen work surfaces etc when those are changed.

John

-

While looking at something else I remembered another very compact grinder. This one

https://www.bluestarcoffee.eu/ascaso-i-steel-i1-timer-2596-p.asp

:secret:A certain gent on here gave it a reasonable review unlike the conical which uses a lot of plastic. I have the taller version. It's pretty well put together but just like a number of other grinder I suspect it would benefit from a few turns of plumbers ptfe tape around the adjustment thread as the fit is fairly loose.

This is the review

https://www.bellabarista.co.uk/pdf/compactgrinder1closerlookv3.pdf

It uses a universal motor and gearbox. The gearbox is done well - plastic helical gears so noise levels aught to be low. They are pretty substantial as well.

Mazzer use springs to get round play in the thread problems. He mentions molycot but I feel the tape will do a much better job ;) a more advanced dry lubricant really. If that isn't used the grinds are expected to keep the thread pushed up and home. It seems that is true to a certain extent on lots of grinders.

I think that the Vario received some stick at some point due to imparting a strange taste to coffee. I've seen some blind testing somewhere.

John

-

I would not touch the Ascaso i1 or i2 with a barge pole.

The retention in them is very high, and it’s very hard to dial in a bean due to the screw worm mechanism. And, oh boy, it’s loud!

The Eureka Mignon is a far superior product in my opinion.