gherop

Mahlkonig EK43S. Funnel use instead of hopper

Dear friends

I just bought a brand new EK43S for in home use. Because of lack in space I am wondering if I could withdraw BOTH the hopper and the underneath lying "adapter", that holds the hopper and instead place a funnel with max. 3.4 cm diameter. A 3.4 cm feeding diameter will assist the coffee beans to fall directly in the grinder in a similar way as using the hopper. I would appreciate any comment, suggestion or recommendation from other owners.

Edited by gherop

An Aeropress funnel also works

The highest part of the funnel has a 12 cm diameter and the lower part has a 3.4 cm diameter and can sit on the top of the grinder, which opening is approximately 3.5 cm.

Edited by gherop

Or a Kilner funnel for filling jam jars. There are pictures of mine on here somewhere, just grind a 3 or 4 slits in the bottom bit. Works a treat for single dosing.

https://caterspeed.co.uk/product/kilner-stainless-steel-funnel/

That one I think, but check the size.

Home: Sage Dual Boiler, Probat EK43 & Feldgind

Work: Sage Dual Boiler & Niche Zero

An Aeropress funnel also works

Thanks for your reply. But is the bottom diameter of the aeropress funnel less than the 3.5 cm entrance (without hopper and adapter), of the ek43?

Edited by gherop

Thanks for your reply. But is the bottom diameter of the aeropress funnel less than the 3.5 cm entrance, without hopper and adapter, of the ek43?

I understand the throught of the ek43s is smaller than the standard Ek43 (where people typically use an Aeropress funnel as an adaptor)

Machine: Londinium L1

Grinder: EK43LE

Beans: Baristrocracy Ethiopian

Instagram: andrewrellim

I think that both currently produced EK43S and EK43 are exactly the same and the only difference is the body height. So, the aeropress funell may be one of the best solutions.

By the way do you know the aeropress funell diameter?

Edited by gherop

Since the aeropress funnel doesn't fit properly and you need some extra effort to make it work, I found another way using the other parts. It works extremely well and you also have a cover to avoid dust and other objects to fall inside the grinder. In addition it is aesthetically nice. By this way you may not have a lid, but is it really necessary???

With this configuration the total height is 56 cm instead of 68 cm (800gr hopper).

[ATTACH=CONFIG]35528[/ATTACH]

15317553425945741632679106807890.jpg

Edited by gherop

4bea132f699bb57c1deadba7a03a23b9.jpg

• Like 1

Espresso: La Marzocco Linea Mini, La Spaz Viv II w. web/light, Decent DE1PRO+, La Pavoni Stradivari STH, MK PEAK, Lido E-T

Black: Chemex 6-cup, Kalita 185/155, AeroPress, Bruer ColdBrew, MK EK43, Feldgrind

Roasting: 2x Bullet R1, MK Guatemala bulk, TwistGrain moisture meter

Very beautiful. But is there any cover at the top?

How much does it cost and where can you buy it? Is the Titus Portafilter holder working perfectly and without problems? Does it need any maintenance?

Very beautiful. But is there any cover at the top?

6e97943534dc63398e5ce1399b64a745.jpg

How much does it cost and where can you buy it?

It is my own design and was printed by a friend of mine - if you like you can copy the stl or step files from here:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/soeszqio05adjnr/AAAufoiD352_7BCBaFBiS54ia?dl=0

Is the Titus Portafilter holder working perfectly and without problems?

Yes - but you will have to spray a drip or two water on the beans before grinding - to minimize the static...

Does it need any maintenance?

No, not other than normal cleaning...

Espresso: La Marzocco Linea Mini, La Spaz Viv II w. web/light, Decent DE1PRO+, La Pavoni Stradivari STH, MK PEAK, Lido E-T

Black: Chemex 6-cup, Kalita 185/155, AeroPress, Bruer ColdBrew, MK EK43, Feldgrind

I think I will look into getting a wooden ‘cap’ with rubber o ring to sit on top of the ek43s with no mini hopper etc.

im not sure why if you are single dosing you need any more than just the opening?

Andy

6e97943534dc63398e5ce1399b64a745.jpg

It is my own design and was printed by a friend of mine - if you like you can copy the stl or step files from here:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/soeszqio05adjnr/AAAufoiD352_7BCBaFBiS54ia?dl=0

Yes - but you will have to spray a drip or two water on the beans before grinding - to minimize the static...

No, not other than normal cleaning...

Thanks for your very interesting and in depth reply. I must admit as well that your hopper design is beautiful.

Concerning the water spraying of the coffee beans before grinding I can understand that by this way the static electricity can be eliminated, but I am curious about the details of this procedure. I am also wondering if the presence of water affects the grinding resulting in a less than perfect coffee quality. Any comment about how the water spraying affects the grinding and the coffee quality in the cup will be appreciated...

[/SIZE]

Edited by gherop

I think I will look into getting a wooden ‘cap’ with rubber o ring to sit on top of the ek43s with no mini hopper etc.

im not sure why if you are single dosing you need any more than just the opening?

Andy

From my side, I am wondering if the lid of the portafilter has a critical role in grinding, since when opened the whole coffee mass falls immediately into the grinder. Is in this way the powder particle size distribution different compared to the size distribution that is obtained when coffee beans are added through the grinder opening???

Edited by gherop

Who would want to turn on the grinder - immediately to find out that you just destroyed your burrs.... because a screw or other parts accidentally was dropped into the hopper

That is why I made the lid - not using it during the grinding process

Anyway this is my current configuration. On the top of the aeropress sits the paper filter holder that simulates the lid of a hopper. By this way the EK43 expensive burrs are protected...

IMG_20180724_180951.jpg

Edited by gherop

Each to their own- but that for me is not aesthetically pleasing! (I'm sure some would argue that the EK43 is not either!!)

At the moment, I just drop my beans straight in with no funnel or hopper- it works perfectly well!

When not in use, I am currently leaving my tamp (V1 Londinium) in the top, but I have commissioned a wenge-lid to sit there in the longer term.

Thanks

Andy

X

Edited by gherop
By mistake I posted two times, although slightly different.

I agree with you concerning the aesthetics. For the top of the EK43 only a nice cover is needed, that would fit perfectly in the entrance and remain stable, thus protecting all the input area. But for the grinded coffee receiver things are more complicated. A cheap but effective solution that could avoid water spraying is a stainless steel cylinder receiver with appropriate dimensions. It should be approximately 100 ml and with a max diameter of 58 mm and a min of 48 mm for baskets of this size. The 100 ml capability cup I propose avoid the spreading of the coffee out of the cup when grinding. I used one with a 70 ml max water capability and it wasn't perfect, so this is the reason I suggest 100ml...

Edited by gherop

im really surprised no real coffee solution has been created for this, still amazes me. Was actually having this conversation today, looking for something to fit myself, it shouldn't be this hard considering how many ek43's are around.

I think Mahlkonig or somebody else

could solve the problem very easy providing as accessories a cap for covering the entrance and a stainless steel receiver. This receiver could be available in different diameters depending on the diameter of the baskets...

Edited by gherop

Okay; I said I was getting something made, and here it is below.

I understand wood isn't to everyone's taste, but I love it; and commissioned a piece in 'wenge' to match the Londinium. I also got a PF funnel made at the same time. Happy to pass on contact details for those that also one one.

I just take off lid, pour in beans and pop lid back on. Maybe I'll take a bit off the bottom so it sits a little more flush- maybe not.

IMG_4849_zpsxqsabrul.jpg

IMG_4847_zpsqptyiqca.jpg

IMG_4846_zpstousddy6.jpg

IMG_4842-1_zpsypxkjggh.jpg

IMG_4848_zpssz5cz329.jpg

IMG_4850-1_zpsp987mejc.jpg

Andy

• Like 1