IGNORED

Grinder for 1 to 4 cups

Just purchased a 2nd hand Gaggia classic and now looking for a grinder. I only want to grind enough coffee for 1 to 4 cups at a time, any ideas what the best options are please. Would prefer electric if possible.

Just purchased a 2nd hand Gaggia classic and now looking for a grinder. I only want to grind enough coffee for 1 to 4 cups at a time, any ideas what the best options are please. Would prefer electric if possible.
What's your budget & available space? A used commercial grinder like a Mazzer Super Jolly can be had quite cheap but they're not exactly small.

What's your budget & available space? A used commercial grinder like a Mazzer Super Jolly can be had quite cheap but they're not exactly small.

Looks a nice machine but was thinking smaller and as for budget, looking at 2nd hand up to £150

No, its mainly 1 and sometimes 2 shots to be honest.

That’s good! I would look for a EUREKA MIGNONETTE on here. They are bullet proof and as an entry level grinder, tick all the boxes but you will need to spend circa £200

It is hard to be humble when you are as great as I am Muhammed Ali February 25, 1964

That’s good! I would look for a EUREKA MIGNONETTE on here. They are bullet proof and as an entry level grinder, tick all the boxes but you will need to spend circa £200

That is a bit pricey for me to justify, perhaps I should be looking for a descent hand grinder if there is such a thing.

Plenty of decent hand grinders for that money either new or second hand, made by knock (buy second hand, feldgrind etc or buy new from somewhere like Dear Green or machina espresso though to guarantee expected delivery dates)

Second hand Lido's come up from time to time but rarely so new would be your option but a little above your budget, Lido E for espresso and filter etc Lido 2's and 3's will do espresso but harder to dial in than an e as e has a finer pitched thread)

Have a mooch through the for sale section, might find something or mention @coffeechap three times under your breath and he may appear with something :)

John

There is a Compak K3 in the for sale section. Canny little grinders and within budget

It is hard to be humble when you are as great as I am Muhammed Ali February 25, 1964

The question you should ask yourself is how important taste in the cup is going to be in the foreseeable future. If coffee is an agreeable leisure activity it may not be critical, and a smaller grinder may suffice. Once you start to get a bit obsessed - and hanging out on this forum pushes you in that direction - then I'm going to suggest you could do with burrs of at least 64mm to get a good tasting grind. £150 is not a problem for a used commercial grinder - Super Jolly or other. For 1-4 cups you don't need a big hopper and a lens hood on top to blow out the retained grinds is all the added height you'll need. If you can put up with the footprint, you'll get the taste.

The question you should ask yourself is how important taste in the cup is going to be in the foreseeable future. If coffee is an agreeable leisure activity it may not be critical, and a smaller grinder may suffice. Once you start to get a bit obsessed - and hanging out on this forum pushes you in that direction - then I'm going to suggest you could do with burrs of at least 64mm to get a good tasting grind. £150 is not a problem for a used commercial grinder - Super Jolly or other. For 1-4 cups you don't need a big hopper and a lens hood on top to blow out the retained grinds is all the added height you'll need. If you can put up with the footprint, you'll get the taste.

Not that obsessed yet but as you say leaning a lot from here.

I have a doser la spaziale that was going to go on eBay, that would do the trick, in budget but perhaps too bug

Yeah, bit too big, not really got the space after looking in to this. Thinking I will go for a decent hand grinder for now as not happy with supermarket ground coffee at all.

The ROK is a very good hand grinder. Should work well with pretty much any machine. Has a few quirks - can be squeaky but a little cooking oil on the handle solved that. Lots of static but one drop (spritz) of water per shot completely eliminated the static. A few beans may popcorn out if you are a fast cranker. Shots from the ROK were superior to my MACAP M4. You may get tired of hand grinding and go electric but a back up is nice to have. These guys have several video's posted https://www.wholelattelove.com/the-rok-coffee-grinder

The ROK is a very good hand grinder. Should work well with pretty much any machine. Has a few quirks - can be squeaky but a little cooking oil on the handle solved that. Lots of static but one drop (spritz) of water per shot completely eliminated the static. A few beans may popcorn out if you are a fast cranker. Shots from the ROK were superior to my MACAP M4. You may get tired of hand grinding and go electric but a back up is nice to have. These guys have several video's posted https://www.wholelattelove.com/the-rok-coffee-grinder

Thanks for that, will take a look at the videos.

Great videos, I think Ill purchase the Rok as my starter into grinding my own coffee, anythings going to be better than the supermarket pre-ground rubbish I'm putting up with at the moment. This is all new to me but Im learning fast.

I think you will be pleased. Like any grinder it will take a bit of time to dial in and settle down. I encourage you to use the water spritz to control static. When and if you get tired of hand grinding it will always be a handy back up grinder. I think I mentioned I'm using my for decaf. Enjoy.

I think you will be pleased. Like any grinder it will take a bit of time to dial in and settle down. I encourage you to use the water spritz to control static. When and if you get tired of hand grinding it will always be a handy back up grinder. I think I mentioned I'm using my for decaf. Enjoy.

Thanks for you help and advice.