MildredM

Eggnog and Other Animals

Stag larvae do get huge! I hope you didn't squish them? I think they might even be protected species.

"Coffee: The Good, The Bad, and The Ayurvedic Perspective"

Behave yourself.

I found this handsome chap in the garden a year or two ago. He was stuck on his back so I gave him my hand to grip. Boy, can they grip!

Stag.jpg

Behave yourself.

I LOVE stag beetles and always assist them - off the road, or turning them right way up :)

And no, I wouldn’t hurt a lovely larvae - when I’d finished dismantling the remains of Big Mavis I moved the innards to a place under the sycamores and placed her intact sides on top and made it all cosy and save with some rocks around to keep it all in place.

2019 L-R with hand turned Thuya burr handles and toggles / 1998 La Pavoni / Monolith Titan Flat & Conical, MAX Flat on order  / HG-1 / Kalita wave / Stag kettle / OCD / Joey Skateboard Handle Pullman Big Step & matching stirrer / Wenge Handle Lev Tamp / Push Tamper / Puqpress / 15g & 18g vst / IMS 35μM / LDT / Barista Gear Titanium 12oz pitchers / LW Bean Cellars & Caddy / Decent thermometer / Acme Evo 150ml cups / Espazzola / Hottop / embroidered by me bar towels / in the cellars: Steampunk, North Star, Foundry, The Barn, HasBean, Coffee Compass / 6 gorgeous guineas / a dog / a very lovely husband 

2f5885a52f13b6b2dfbbbaa1c31431a4.jpg

Big Mavis looking splendidly youthful in 2010 :)

2019 L-R with hand turned Thuya burr handles and toggles / 1998 La Pavoni / Monolith Titan Flat & Conical, MAX Flat on order  / HG-1 / Kalita wave / Stag kettle / OCD / Joey Skateboard Handle Pullman Big Step & matching stirrer / Wenge Handle Lev Tamp / Push Tamper / Puqpress / 15g & 18g vst / IMS 35μM / LDT / Barista Gear Titanium 12oz pitchers / LW Bean Cellars & Caddy / Decent thermometer / Acme Evo 150ml cups / Espazzola / Hottop / embroidered by me bar towels / in the cellars: Steampunk, North Star, Foundry, The Barn, HasBean, Coffee Compass / 6 gorgeous guineas / a dog / a very lovely husband 

I LOVE stag beetles and always assist them - off the road, or turning them right way up :)

And no, I wouldn’t hurt a lovely larvae - when I’d finished dismantling the remains of Big Mavis I moved the innards to a place under the sycamores and placed her intact sides on top and made it all cosy and save with some rocks around to keep it all in place.

I'd have been shocked to hear otherwise! :D

Behave yourself.

They are Cockchafer (ouch) larvae.

If we get a dry summer, watch out for the dead patches on your (@MildredM) lawn where they have eaten away the roots.

Badgers love them and can scent them out. They leave earthwork diggings on your golf course.

Relatively recent problem following the ban on the insecticide that killed the larvae, which has allowed the population to explode.

A delicious delicacy for badgers :) :)

Would hedgehogs eat them @Batian ?

Would hedgehogs eat them @Batian ?

Probably, but I am not sure if they would/could dig for them like a badger.

I’m not. And hopefully the big bowl of crunchy dried mealworms will satisfy their appetites - just nearly tripped over a very big hedgehog when I went to check the dish (they get seconds if they’ve eaten up)!

2f5885a52f13b6b2dfbbbaa1c31431a4.jpg

Big Mavis looking splendidly youthful in 2010 :)

Such a lovely picture and garden! Amazing

Boy, can they grip!

Oh yes!

They decide when to leave, not you

says Hasi.

'This Sunday I will be out in the road saying - "Hasi says your impeading me from pursuing my recreational motivations while you wank off over the finer details of some aloof brainfork" :whistle: ' @jimbojohn55

Deep Thought says 'tight wiggles' is the answer. @Scotford

They can very well dig holes/caves to hide in, at least.

says Hasi.

'This Sunday I will be out in the road saying - "Hasi says your impeading me from pursuing my recreational motivations while you wank off over the finer details of some aloof brainfork" :whistle: ' @jimbojohn55

What the hell is this thing??!!

b228c99eb4822589332af3333c260527.jpg

Home - Nuova Simonelli MAC2000 V, La Pavoni, Compak e8, Niche Zero, IMS & VST baskets, IMS shower screen, skateboard torr, MildredM bar towels

@SkateReclaimCreate

It’s a bee fly. Thanks google. I’ve never seen one of these before and was a bit worried about that huge stinger! Apparently harmless to humans

Home - Nuova Simonelli MAC2000 V, La Pavoni, Compak e8, Niche Zero, IMS & VST baskets, IMS shower screen, skateboard torr, MildredM bar towels

@SkateReclaimCreate

seems to be better at reading than distinguishing plants from tools.

But thanks for the monologue, and what a lovely cuddly fluff that is... erm...

says Hasi.

seems to be better at reading than distinguishing plants from tools.

But thanks for the monologue, and what a lovely cuddly fluff that is... erm...

Cuddly fluffy like a tarantula

Frogs and toads are about now we’ve had some rain!

f9058e0056177f9a54b9e5d182327c9f.jpg

Now . . . Where’s Egg Nog . . .

Ok, so not 'wild and in the garden' but . . . .

"WHAT?"

54220fa1f91ef85575a02ec368028ed4.jpg

Ok, so not 'wild and in the garden' but . . . .

"WHAT?"

54220fa1f91ef85575a02ec368028ed4.jpg

Beetroot?

Laissez les bons temps rouler

Beetroot?

Of the juiciest kind

Beetroot?
nah, they're cavyvores...

says Hasi.

We’ve got BABIES ☺️

This wren nest is inches from the back door on top of the down pipe!

567F68C7-57B6-4E36-A4A9-96B2F370CE16.jpeg

FFC8DC13-FCE7-4035-BF18-4CDFBBBB55B9.jpeg

• Like 2

THREE!

2305F278-18DB-42A9-846F-77EF2085CAAB.jpeg

• Like 1

Five baby wrens popped out over two days - Sunday night and Monday afternoon! They all go back to their nest again at bedtime! A little vid of them lined up on the mangle top near the back door (one wren was on a nearby bench).