MildredM

Eggnog and Other Animals

A new look 'Wild In My Garden' thread :)

To continue where we left off with the rare sightings of our luminous yellow frog . . .

Eggnog has been spotted a few times this last week, both during the day and evening. He seems to like the garden - he's brought his mate round tonight :)

41030532100_4915f38f0e_z.jpg

They seem like quite a sporty pair. Here they are practicing leap-frog . . . At least I think it’s leap-frog.

41940334035_12a86e9029_z.jpg

Hello!

41030531940_65206d58ac_z.jpg

2019 L-R with hand turned Thuya burr handles and toggles / 1998 La Pavoni with NickNak single hole steam wand tip  / Monolith Titan Flat & Conical, MAX Flat on order  / HG-1 / Kalita wave / Stag kettle / OCD / Joey Skateboard Handle Pullman Big Step & matching stirrer / Wenge Handle Lev Tamp / Push Tamper / Puqpress / 15g & 18g vst / IMS 35μM / LDT / Barista Gear Titanium 12oz pitchers / LW Bean Cellars & Caddy / Decent thermometer / Acme Evo 150ml cups / Espazzola / Hottop / embroidered by me bar towels / coffee bar towel logo embroiderer to the hoi polloi  / in the cellars: Steampunk, North Star, Foundry, The Barn, HasBean, Coffee Compass / 6 gorgeous guineas / a dog / a very lovely and understanding husband 

And here’s our regular hedgehog visitor . . .

41821175625_43b4c9803a_z.jpg

There's another hedgehog but he seems to arrive for second sitting and I haven’t got a photo yet.

2019 L-R with hand turned Thuya burr handles and toggles / 1998 La Pavoni with NickNak single hole steam wand tip  / Monolith Titan Flat & Conical, MAX Flat on order  / HG-1 / Kalita wave / Stag kettle / OCD / Joey Skateboard Handle Pullman Big Step & matching stirrer / Wenge Handle Lev Tamp / Push Tamper / Puqpress / 15g & 18g vst / IMS 35μM / LDT / Barista Gear Titanium 12oz pitchers / LW Bean Cellars & Caddy / Decent thermometer / Acme Evo 150ml cups / Espazzola / Hottop / embroidered by me bar towels / coffee bar towel logo embroiderer to the hoi polloi  / in the cellars: Steampunk, North Star, Foundry, The Barn, HasBean, Coffee Compass / 6 gorgeous guineas / a dog / a very lovely and understanding husband 

And finally tonight here’s a little newt . . .

41940492585_a72fc1dbf8_z.jpg

bac52bee20db2f31ae580e812a7888c5.jpg

I found a toad under my wheelie bin the other night. I had told my 3 year old it was a frog, but then was corrected by everybody that this is apparently a toad. I think.

I love toads! Rounder faces than a pointy face/mouth of a frog, short back legs (they don’t hop like a frog, they more sort of march) and not slippy like a frog. And you can’t eat them (apparently).

If I recall correctly, the difference between a frog and a toad is just the name we humans have assigned. A species of frog could legitimately be called a toad and vice versa.

If I recall correctly, the difference between a frog and a toad is just the name we humans have assigned. A species of frog could legitimately be called a toad and vice versa.

Invertebrates are more my thing, so I’m not claiming to be a frog expert, but from memory the difference is the glands on the back of the head... I THINK it’s that toads have big ones and frogs small (or none). Would make sense given the chubby/puffy parts on the back of the one in the picture :)

Ah, that now prompted me to check, so I was wrong. A toad can be correctly called a frog as all toads are part of the group collectively called frogs, but a frog may/may not be a toad.

And finally tonight here’s a little newt . . .

41940492585_a72fc1dbf8_z.jpg

That's not any old newt, that's my old chum "Tiny". I call him that cos he's *my newt*...

___

Eat, drink and be merry

Rocket R58Ceado E37SAeropressAerGrind • Puck Puck cold brew widget • VST 18g basket • Torr Goldfinger 58.5 convex black Ti/walnut tamper • Torr Goldfinger 58.5 flat sharp edge tamper • Big bag o' beans • Triumph Street Triple 675R

That's not any old newt, that's my old chum "Tiny". I call him that cos he's *my newt*...

___

Eat, drink and be merry

I'll line 'em up . . .

I call this a thrip, not sure what their proper name is!

41980917475_55bb099d0b_z.jpg

A second thrip . . .

42163123354_0b1d74dc7e_z.jpg

@MildredM I am no entomologist but I think they are shield bugs. Thrips are tiny thin things that try to fly but fail.

Rocket R58Ceado E37SAeropressAerGrind • Puck Puck cold brew widget • VST 18g basket • Torr Goldfinger 58.5 convex black Ti/walnut tamper • Torr Goldfinger 58.5 flat sharp edge tamper • Big bag o' beans • Triumph Street Triple 675R

@MildredM I am no entomologist but I think they are shield bugs.

They are definitely a bug! Shield shaped ;)

Thrips are tiny thin things that try to fly but fail.

Oh yes! I’ve been getting my thrips muddled with my other things!

There's a new one appeared, just now! A baby!

42163459924_2925b35c7e_z.jpg

Not quite in my garden but close....

Bonni meets a feral Ninja Warrior.20160709_150628a.jpg

Not quite in my garden but close....

Bonni meets a feral Ninja Warrior.[ATTACH=CONFIG]35119[/ATTACH]

Oh my! An escapee? Hope the owner can be located.

No sign of Eggnog Frog for over a week now. In fact we haven’t seen any frogs or toads since the weather came really hot. This one popped out tonight from nowhere when I was watering up just now though :)

42276546025_e507e383d4_z.jpg

Oh my! An escapee? Hope the owner can be located.

If it is the same creature, it has been successfully living wild for several years.

Found this in the poly tunnel last night. Hawk moth

7fcef68f41aedfc54e596dced35a3f34.jpg

ff05cf0930e7fd6f1ebcda8ec38476f2.jpg

a grinder a lever and some beans

Found this in the poly tunnel last night. Hawk moth

7fcef68f41aedfc54e596dced35a3f34.jpg

ff05cf0930e7fd6f1ebcda8ec38476f2.jpg

I found the caterpillar for one of those years ago, wondered what the heck it was, about 75 mm long with a horn at one end.Not seen one in the moth state other than in a book.

I found the caterpillar for one of those years ago, wondered what the heck it was, about 75 mm long with a horn at one end.Not seen one in the moth state other than in a book.

First one Id seen in the wild. Impressive looking moth

a grinder a lever and some beans

Hedgie made his way in to our kitchen last night scouting out the dog food

2D34B1A7-766B-4DA6-8A2F-C4E0092431CB.jpg

R58, Niche (midnight black), IMS screen, VST Basket, Acaia Pearl, Torr GF, Feldgrind, V60, Kalita 185 and loads of other stuff I probably don't need :)

Hedgie made his way in to our kitchen last night scouting out the dog food

Does Hedgie ever bring her mate, Fundie?

They’ve landed together tonight!

43131573614_343cb3925a_z.jpg

And 3 of these just now!

43867500871_78d79aa4a4_z.jpg