Sign in to follow this  
ajohn

Sage Smart Grinder Pro

This has always been my 2nd grinder for 250g packs of beans I want to try usually weighing them in. It's had something over 1kg and less than 2kg of various beans run through it. It's worked rather well for me this way unless I try to use dry processed beans that have been roasted well into 2nd crack and are coated in oil as a result. ;) Using those was ok for a while and then the output started differing too much. I was getting same out as went in with some +/- 0.1g with a number of other types of bean. 2nd crack beans like these are a bit of a problem for most if not all grinders.

Looking around at used prices I'm after £95 including shipping and payment via paypal.

It comes with parts shown plus manual, box and I should be able to locate the dedicated grind container. Looks like the brush that is usually included will be more of a problem. I've found a toothbrush it better when the burrs need brushing over and a stiff small artists paint brush for anything else. ;) The Dyson's not bad at getting a fair bit out but some has to be brushed out via the grind chamber outlet.

It's just been stripped and thoroughly cleaned and a new felt washer fitted. I'm not aware of any marks on it and the brown patch in the photo must be a reflection.

SGP_2.jpg

John

-

Edited by ajohn

In Use Sage DB+IMS Shower Screen, Niche. Others Sage BE, Mazer Mini A,. Projects Little Gem, Gaggia M7D

SageBanner_v01.jpg.a45786743a4eb401969788b45ae7f893.jpg

Hi John, I’m interested. May I ask if it’ll grind fine enough for espresso, paired with fresh beans of course ;) and a gaggia classic).

Also where are you located? In case I could collect.

It has ground fine enough for espresso for me on all beans I have tried apart from one. Why that one was a problem pass. They had been around for a while. My Mazzer managed it a little better but not to the ideal in and out numbers. As I see it they are pretty good grinders but may struggle a bit with sticky beans and generate clumps that ideally need breaking up with a stirrer of some sort. Many grinders at all sorts of price levels do. The way I would put it is bought new it is possible to do worse at a similar price I bought Greaf's better model before buying this one and sent it back. It's also said that they do something different in the cup - in other words produce a different taste. ;) All I can say on that score is when I used it for shots on my Barista Express I have always managed to get the sort of taste a particular bean should have. Actually I have struggled to get the same taste using my Mazzer and a Sage DB - sort of dual effect - different machine and different grinder. I'd say the main cause of the difference is actually down to the machines not the grinder but suspect that does have an effect.

It's also had no problems with any supermarket beans I have had about even some pretty fresh recently roasted ones out of a coffee advent box - lots of 40g packs of different beans.

I'm a couple of miles away from Cadbury's World in B'ham.

John

-

In Use Sage DB+IMS Shower Screen, Niche. Others Sage BE, Mazer Mini A,. Projects Little Gem, Gaggia M7D

;)Having posted that I suppose I aught to mentions beans used with it and no significant problems noticed. Any clumping was ok as far as I am concerned.

Lidl barrels, Lidl espresso

Asda beans - tried some as used some to condition my Mazzer - disgusting stuff to drink

All sorts in the Advent calendar thing including civet - glad it had some of that as I didn't rate it.

Fresh roasted

Jampit - near equivalent

Sumatra Mandheling - medium and dark roast. Fair amount of both. Can't get the same taste via the DB - only thick and heavy on that.

Monsooned Malabar, light, med, dark and some of what a supplier called a special roast. The dark wasn't as oily as I like and usually use, most of that type went through my BE. There are differences on the grinder in that.

Old Brown Java - not much as didn't like it and was binned.

A Jamaican natural processed dark roast - boring so most of the batch binned.

Redber espresso blend

Another Redber Indian bean in dark roast. One they recently introduced.

Then I messed it up weighing in my usual MM. It was ok for a number of shots but eventually it clogged up a bit. The only way I get these nicely through the Mazzer is the lens hood way.

Probably a couple of others that I can't remember.

Problem bean Guatemalan antigua. Shot whistled through but taste was good. Same but lesser problem on the Mazzer. These had been around in the bag for 6 weeks or so. A good clean may have fixed that. It's all been drunk now. ;) Ratio about 1 to 5.

John

-

I suppose I can do it for £85 collected with a bit of notice as box and bits need digging out. Some one else packs stuff away in the house ;) best leave finding things to them. It drives me nuts if I don't know where things are.

One thing I didn't mention about weighing in with them and it's the same with the hopper on is permanent retention - read the niche grinder review by dave c to see what that means. The output wont be stable until that has compacted in. It may drift when the bean is changed as well. Really this is pretty normal with any grinder used with the hopper on. It's not so marked when something like a mazzer is used weighing in and puffing grinds out via a lens hood. I found that 3 shots of circa 15g removed any carry over from a previous bean when weighing in. Being generous - there was a noticeable change in taste on the first shot after a change of beans. A lot less clear on the next one. When the hopper is on I'd say about a gram is trapped maybe a bit more. I've never measured it.

John

-

Thanks for the offer but no.

John

-

@Bainbridge

I've collected all of the bits together now. One small problem, more one for me really. I mentioned the box. Some one in their wisdom has flattened it and discarder the internal packaging. I'm sitting here at the moment trying not to turn into the incredible hulk. If any of us here buy anything that might be sold we usually keep the lot as it makes life easier.

It will come in it's box anyway and would have been double boxed even if the polystyrene etc had been there. The Sage boxes aren't that strong.

So if this is ok with you reply and we can switch to PM. I always suggest people use paypal goods and services when I sell something - not that I would say I'm all right jack I have the money if things go wrong. I just prefer to put that sort of thing on an official footing and all it will cost me is a couple of quid. ;) That way I can't even be tempted.

John

-

@Bainbridge

That way I can't even be tempted.

John

-

John sorry but obsessed with your posts recently! Why even put this throw away comment on you for sale thread? It implies that you might consider something of the buyer wasn’t protected!

AKA Toffee chips

John sorry but obsessed with your posts recently! Why even put this throw away comment on you for sale thread? It implies that you might consider something of the buyer wasn’t protected!

Why not. Perhaps unlike some I have a sense of humour - a pretty cynical one actually.

John

-

Why not. Perhaps unlike some I have a sense of humour - a pretty cynical one actually.

John

-

Because it makes you look dishonest! Whether you are or not

AKA Toffee chips

Because it makes you look dishonest! Whether you are or not

That a pointless comment leaving me wondering why you made it or the other one for that matter. Any this is the last time I will respond to one.

John

-

That a pointless comment leaving me wondering why you made it or the other one for that matter. Any this is the last time I will respond to one.

John

-

Does that mean, hypothetically of course, that if I respond to everyone of your posts, you will stop posting?

AKA Toffee chips

Now sold to Bainbridge.

John

-

Sign in to follow this  

• About:

Coffee Forums UK is the UK's premier coffee forum Started in June 2008 by Glenn Watson, we now have more than 22000 mainly UK based members, and welcome more than 3000 members and visitors from around the world each day! With strategic investment and digital expertise from the Jackson Lockhart team (Tait Pollack and Adam Bateman), we are taking Coffee Forums UK to the next level, and are delighted to share the journey with you.

New Members:

We are often referred to as the friendliest forum on the web and we look forward to welcoming you onboard.

Terms of Use

Advertising

Coffee Forums Media Kit

Buy Advertising Space

Donate

Get Your Supporter Badge (per year)