Hasi

Hasi‘s Lever Adventure

Only thing I noticed: after pulling my (rather over extracted...) shots, the group head is still under pressure.

Same here. Don’t forget these machines don’t have an exhaust system like e61 or a solenoid valve. Therefore, the pressure will have to gradually equalise over a couple of minutes after you pull the shot. If you want to get the PF out sooner, just undo the PF very gently so the pressure gradually releases.

Ah, I see :cool:

After an hour or more of dialling in and getting to grips with lever action, I stopped to welcome some guests (so grinder settings could go back to Rocket values as drinkable stuff was expected).

The last shot looked promising, tough... also tasted a lot better than previous attempts.

de321bbf8757b38fb7315322215ebc46.jpg

Let's call it 'in the ball park'. And let's call her the Diva ;) Because I've still got a lot more to learn until taking control...

• Like 2

says Hasi.

'This Sunday I will be out in the road saying - "Hasi says your impeading me from pursuing my recreational motivations while you wank off over the finer details of some aloof brainfork" :whistle: ' @jimbojohn55

Deep Thought says 'tight wiggles' is the answer. @Scotford

Thank you guys!

By accident (or call it intuition :D ) I sort of did it almost that way... now I got to play with all variables :cool:

Only thing I noticed: after pulling my (rather over extracted...) shots, the group head is still under pressure. Not much, but enough to force grounds over the basket rim.

Is it overfilled?

Too fine a grind?

What's max basket fill level?

But ( @joey24dirt ;) ) it is so much fun to experiment with a LaPav!!

I'm on the Facebook Pavoni group and its full of hairbrained techniques that people have to solve fairly simple problems so my advice would be to not bother with it otherwise you'll be shifting change from one pocket to the other, spinning in circles, pulling the lever half way down with the right hand then lifting with the left and finally pulling down with both.

These are simple machines capable of producing excellent shots and no witchcraft required.

From your previous post I would say you're overfilling the basket. The baskets vary a bit but yours you're probably looking around 13g depending on roast. It's really easy to work out. If you're getting a 2:1 ratio, your spot on, less like you appear to be getting and you have overfilled, more underfilled. There's only so much space in the group to the puck. More coffee=less water and vice versa.

For me 5 seconds is enough to preinfuse some like longer but if you go past 10 seconds then you risk over extracting. Light to medium roast I then take roughly 30 seconds to pull the lever down. If it takes 40 than grind is too fine, 20 too coarse but taste tells me this rather than time.

It it takes a bit of trial and error but you'll soon get the hang of it.

I'm on the Facebook Pavoni group and its full of hairbrained techniques that people have to solve fairly simple problems so my advice would be to not bother with it otherwise you'll be shifting change from one pocket to the other, spinning in circles, pulling the lever half way down with the right hand then lifting with the left and finally pulling down with both.

These are simple machines capable of producing excellent shots and no witchcraft required.

From your previous post I would say you're overfilling the basket. The baskets vary a bit but yours you're probably looking around 13g depending on roast. It's really easy to work out. If you're getting a 2:1 ratio, your spot on, less like you appear to be getting and you have overfilled, more underfilled. There's only so much space in the group to the puck. More coffee=less water and vice versa.

For me 5 seconds is enough to preinfuse some like longer but if you go past 10 seconds then you risk over extracting. Light to medium roast I then take roughly 30 seconds to pull the lever down. If it takes 40 than grind is too fine, 20 too coarse but taste tells me this rather than time.

It it takes a bit of trial and error but you'll soon get the hang of it.

Thanks mate!

I'm past and post facebook, so wouldn't join folk there - but I get what you mean by overcomplicating a simple machine. My thoughts exactly :)

The last shot was 12.5g so I'll experiment between that and 13g, tomorrow. 13.5g apparently sent me down a blind alley.

One more thing I'm wondering is how much momentum it takes... but a 2:1 ratio in 30s should solve the question. At least theoretically :D

• Like 2

says Hasi.

'This Sunday I will be out in the road saying - "Hasi says your impeading me from pursuing my recreational motivations while you wank off over the finer details of some aloof brainfork" :whistle: ' @jimbojohn55

Thanks mate!

I'm past and post facebook, so wouldn't join folk there - but I get what you mean by overcomplicating a simple machine. My thoughts exactly :)

The last shot was 12.5g so I'll experiment between that and 13g, tomorrow. 13.5g apparently sent me down a blind alley.

One more thing I'm wondering is how much momentum it takes... but a 2:1 ratio in 30s should solve the question. At least theoretically :D

You’re not missing much on Facebook

For me if you’re forcing the lever, the grind is too fine. A gentle pull should do it. I also have a slightly larger basket and I can get between 14-15g in it so you might be aiming for a 25 second pull with 12.5g and a 2:1 ratio and go from there depending on taste.

fb6c3e41e7fe866ae2f983ccc92792c6.jpg

Let the day begin with cappuccino niceness... woman and I enjoyed some brew from La Diva. And it suits our taste better and better. :)

It's different from what our E61 produces and still lacks crema - which you can tell from the dark spots...

Also the machine seems to sit there slightly tilted as usually coffee flows merely (and constantly) from the right spout.

Concerning crema, any suggestions?

(fiddling with 12-12.5g Guatemala - Finca Medina, Antigua. My own medium roast, works well on the Rocket)

Edited by Hasi
  • Like 2

says Hasi.

Nice picture ;) - re the Crema, The pavs tend to operate at a lower pressure with the lever pull than a E61 - you can grind finer to create more crema but watch the flavour closely, - its part of the charm seeing how taste changes in relation to what you feel in the lever pull.

Re the spout pour - ive tried a number of different spouts with portafilters and not found one that pours well on both - I think its something to do with the size of the porterfilter, not sure - Its worth getting a naked with a slightly larger basket from a practical day to day use as they are much easier to clean and have a 16G basket - useful for those shared double shots - they don't look as great as the long spout original but makes day to day use easier - just refit the original after each shot to give it back its dignity ;)

Edited by jimbojohn55
  • Like 2

keep calm and grind flat

fb6c3e41e7fe866ae2f983ccc92792c6.jpg

Let the day begin with cappuccino niceness... woman and I enjoyed some brew from La Diva. And it suits our taste better and better. :)

It's different from what our E61 produces and still lacks crema - which you can tell from the dark spots...

Also the machine seems to sit there slightly tilted as usually coffee flows merely (and constantly) from the right spout.

Concerning crema, any suggestions?

(fiddling with 12-12.5g Guatemala - Finca Medina, Antigua. My own medium roast, works well on the Rocket)

I am not sure this is what you want to hear but... Same here!

I pretty much ditched the double spout on the first day. It always favoured the left spout over the right one. I just took them off and used the PF spoutless, until I bought myself a naked one.

Re: Crema: it might be me being a novice, but I noticed the same. Then, reading about it, it seems to be that those produce less crema than an e61. Unsure whether it’s because of profile, size of basket or pressure. I just accept it it’s how it is. As long as it tastes good, then it’s good for me.

Alright guys, even though I like to keep my old stuff original, because I love its classic appearance, a bottomless PF (with a few different baskets and maybe a retaining clip...?) might come in handy. It somehow feels a bit odd, like buying your woman jocks instead of lingerie... but hey, the times they are a-changin', aren't they?

Back in the 60s and 70s when the Europiccola got introduced and this particular example manufactured, not many fancied single origin Arabicas I guess. So with a typical Italian dark blend of the time things might be very different even today, but I would neither roast nor drink that dark a roast at home :D

So, would a modern bottomless PF for post millenium La Pavs still fit?

• Like 2

says Hasi.

So, would a modern bottomless PF for post millenium La Pavs still fit?

No you have to buy a pre millennium one 49mm

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/LA-PAVONI-49mm-Bottomless-Naked-Portafilter-Handle-for-Europiccola-Stradivari/273107015128?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

These guys also have ims stuff but I've never used them

https://www.lamacchinadelcaffe.com/en/portafiltri-la-pavoni.html

Bottomless PF should arrive anytime soon :cool:

For the time being, kept preparing some good-morning cappuccinos. Today it came out somewhat bitter, so must improve blood-pressure pump skills.

Still, crema won't stay for long. But I'm going to taste some other beans I've recently roasted to see if it's beans or Hasi being accountable...

Overall, I urgently need to re-arrange my workplace as LaDiva sits on wrong end of aisle... mains water, knock box, towels, everything's a mile away! :eek:

• Like 2

says Hasi.

1263e8e97759eca55b8b49c53288c85d.jpg

383185df1ec728e3683b374b38cff0b4.jpg

Yep.

There it is!

First shot pretty much on target I'd say. Also taste-wise! Crema will improve with time now that I can read the basket... altough my tamping wasn't too bad over the past couple years, this deep and narrow basket behaves somewhat different. Excited to get my hands on LaDiva tomorrow morning (hopefully!) :D

• Like 2

says Hasi.

There great quality those particular portafilters proper bakerlite handles in the same shape as the early ones (if a little bigger) even the chrome is great, I think the basket is a bit more free flowing but great quality too.;)

• Like 2

keep calm and grind flat

I don't know how I've missed this thread so far! Absolutely living the dream there Hasi, you lucky chap! Looks like you are starting to tame your diva!

• Like 1

Did someone say coffee?

:Gaggia Classic--> Nuova Simonelli Oscar--> fracino Cherub:Mazzer SuperJolly:Hario V60+aeropress+french press:

Hasi, I’m loving this thread. It’s actually got me gripped. It is however not helping me to not buy a Lever. If I end up getting one, I’m blaming you :D

• Haha 1

Machine - Currently a Londinium R. Grinder - Niche. Tamper/distributor - Puqpress and Pullman Distribution and Big Step Palm Tamper.

There great quality those particular portafilters proper bakerlite handles in the same shape as the early ones (if a little bigger) even the chrome is great, I think the basket is a bit more free flowing but great quality too.;)

True!

I got me the one from Blue Star Coffee and it's great quality. It also comes with a retaining spring, thus making extraction aftermath more joyful!

Comparing baskets, their grids differ widely - as can be seen in above image :) More free flow may very well be true as I didn't feel that much resistance. But it could also have to do with larger basket size and therefore more room for expansion...?!

But you were right about re-fitting the original PF for standby. La Diva already told me she feels nude without her spouts... and you'd better listen to a lady when she's got something to say.

I don't know how I've missed this thread so far! Absolutely living the dream there Hasi, you lucky chap! Looks like you are starting to tame your diva!

Haha, thanks @Missy - at least I'm trying to keep dreaming! Difficult enough as an adult.

I might moderate her capers to hedge-hopping but she'll surely stay true to her game (and name)... seems like I need a good slap every now and then :D

Hasi, I’m loving this thread. It’s actually got me gripped. It is however not helping me to not buy a Lever. If I end up getting one, I’m blaming you :D

Cheers!

Let me tell you @jimbojohn55 might put the twin sister up for sale when she's finished :whistle: and @coffeechap currently offers the third one right here :whistle::exit:

You blame - I tame. :good:

• Like 2

says Hasi.

It will be released to the market probably once the new one lands, I will list it as per forum rules - If you want a heads up at the time just send me a PM.

Cheers Jim

• Like 2

keep calm and grind flat

update: my LaDiva is in daily use at my office job. I'm still experimenting, however she always provides palatable drinks by now! 😎👍🏻

• Like 1

says Hasi.

9 minutes ago, Hasi said:

update: my LaDiva is in daily use at my office job. I'm still experimenting, however she always provides palatable drinks by now! 😎👍🏻

Her older sister is doing fine too

AKA Toffee chips