Hasi

Hasi‘s Lever Adventure

Well...

When @jimbojohn55 started that project, I was among the cheering crowd...

https://coffeeforums.co.uk/showthread.php?42247-Pimp-my-70-s-Disco-Pavoni-time-machine

Attracted by its simplicity and purity, one could argue I fell in love with a LaPavoni from another century. When it turned out that there were even two of them, I could resist asking Jim what he would do with the second one. Or maybe I didn‘t dare...

Anyhow, it revealed my apparent craving for something lever.

Oh what a surprise it was to find one of these twin restos in the 'for sale' section! https://coffeeforums.co.uk/showthread.php?44645-1973-La-Pavoni-completely-refurbished-%A3400

Then I was due...

Then the wait...

The other day it finally arrived!

e40fc2a8f118baa93dddb851e5f00209.jpg

c0c0a2eaf7454a382b858e902bf612ac.jpg

First thing I see is a superb @joey24dirt tamper :cool: great stuff!!

035f72cd7bfb3c36e4208760a601e895.jpg

And after that some sort of elephant...

5e6bfebdd7b3d7c8dcf598b81083647b.jpg

Unwrapping the elephant revealed the old Lady... oh yea! Let the journey begin...

[tbc]

• Like 1

Glad you like it, carefull when removing the filler cap, they have a habit of toppling off and dinging the paint on the base :good:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

keep calm and grind flat

Oh wow this is great! So where are you? How far has one of my handles travelled? Looking forward to following your journey.

• Like 3

Home - Nuova Simonelli MAC2000 V, La Pavoni, Compak e8, Niche Zero, IMS & VST baskets, IMS shower screen, skateboard torr, MildredM bar towels

@SkateReclaimCreate

Hope you enjoy your lever journey & thanks muchly for buying it before I succumbed.

Please, whatever you do, don't be tempted to convert that beautiful portafilter into a naked!

Laissez les bons temps rouler

but do buy a 49mm naked

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

keep calm and grind flat

Austria - @Hasi- not sure where abouts?

• Like 2

keep calm and grind flat

but do buy a 49mm naked

I’ve been looking for one of these Jim but can’t find one under about £50. Machine is a dream by the way, love it!

A machine, a grinder & some beans

I’ve been looking for one of these Jim but can’t find one under about £50. Machine is a dream by the way, love it!

Lots on ebay - £49.95 - don't get the £48.95 one - I don't think they have a spring to keep the basket in

• Like 2

keep calm and grind flat

that's the one I got - good solid handle, basket spring and nice basket as well - stops the basket falling out and easier clean up between shots

• Like 1

keep calm and grind flat

I'd recommend the piston pressure gauge...unfortunately rather expensive :(

The peculiarity of espresso beverage is the simultaneous presence of three dispersed phases coexisting within a matrix, namely a concentrated solution of salts, acids, sugars, caffeine and many other hydrophilic substances. These phases are: an emulsion of oil droplets, a suspension of solid particles and an effervescence of gas bubbles, which evolves into a foam.

MildredM's towels, joey24dirt's tamper, Norvin's dosing ring, Portaspresso Rossa PG Air and HC-P, Kinu M68, Feld47 travel, Aergrind, Bellman steamer, IMS baskets, Hario Syphon TC3, Java Maestro dripper, Chemex, French press, Gnali & Zani moka pot, Bonavita kettle & scales, BWT Bestmax Premium

Oh wow this is great! So where are you? How far has one of my handles travelled? Looking forward to following your journey.

I’m based in Austria - pretty central, some 30min east of Salzburg :cool:

Joey - that handle is a beaut - love it!

Yea guys, stay tuned... lots of stuff to finish before I ultimately fire her up (that includes fitting a Euro plug) but it‘s going to be fun... in case I haven’t already mentioned: no lever experience so far :D

And again: thanks @coffeechap , @jimbojohn55 and @joey24dirt for making this possible!!

• Like 2

Yea guys, stay tuned... lots of stuff to finish before I ultimately fire her up (that includes fitting a Euro plug) but it‘s going to be fun... in case I haven’t already mentioned: no lever experience so far :D

And again: thanks @coffeechap , @jimbojohn55 and @joey24dirt for making this possible!!

I didn’t really do much

I’ve been to Sol snowboarding a few years back. Lovely place to be

• Like 3

Home - Nuova Simonelli MAC2000 V, La Pavoni, Compak e8, Niche Zero, IMS & VST baskets, IMS shower screen, skateboard torr, MildredM bar towels

@SkateReclaimCreate

As for naked portafilters, I don‘t know... I use one one my Rocket for training purposes, but not on a daily basis. Maybe tamping is so much different with the LaPav that I might need one...?! We‘ll see ;)

@Pressure gauge, oh yes (for learning reasons) but then again... I‘d like to keep everything as original as possible. I know it shouldn‘t be difficult to choose between regular and improved :/

• Like 2

I didn’t really do much

I’ve been to Sol snowboarding a few years back. Lovely place to be

Well you did the tamper which became an integral part of the kit - so I invite you to accept the shout-out :D

• Like 2

Well you did the tamper which became an integral part of the kit - so I invite you to accept the shout-out :D

Accepted

• Like 3

@SkateReclaimCreate

Great purchase! If you do buy a naked portafilter, good luck keeping it so shiny

Just buy an adapter off Amazon. That's what I use with mine rather than swapping the plug.

Also thanks to CoffeeChap I got into levers recently.... An Europiccola millennium.

And that was the cheeky flat white after lunch (pssss don’t let the Italians know!)

432f6ff9ddd981107927f9c2121435fb.jpg

Made using a single hole steam tip after recommendations here.

Great machine, absolutely loving it!

Mine came with an Euro plug. I’ll simply cut it off and fit a British one in. It’s very easy to do.

Tonight's the night, Hasi said to himself.

And downstairs he went...

7fab67a8c12471e94ae8c1fbb596e34c.jpg

...fitted a Euro plug and went back to the coffee corner...

91918de11b36287b342b10be918d9994.jpg

...put on some music:

And what happened next was pure speculation. Or was it poor... or pour...

23d9621e2d41a5afde5c1b93e0649d51.jpg

...ok, it needs a fill. But how much? I went for a 'waterline juuust reaching top of glass tube' fill level.

Then wait - played above tune again...

8b42622a662b6b1aa40caea97ac6bfff.jpg

...still time for some images!

Although, I saw a super quick warm-up (I cheated and put warm water in but still an impressive couple of minutes!). Some push'n'shove with an empty basket and all components were ready for take-off.

I guess.

At least everything was hot and the valve on top blew off a bit.

caba72a9d7b33cb943ba642c2db45f67.jpg

Weighing time! I simply used the setting from the E61 in the background to have a starting point. But basket wouldn't take the whole nine yards. We ultimately agreed on 13,5g. Tamping, steady, go!

11810383b9be6d750f54664ae2e71c48.jpg

Halfway through the lever movement there was still nothing... ok, I thought, maybe that's how it's supposed to be - and then again, what if I screwed up already...?! Wait, incoming! Well, the crema forgot to come along. What can I say?!

Was it drinkable? No, of course not... but I did drink it. For first time's sake I drank it! All of it!! Mamma mia!!

Now I'm trying to get some sleep.

But I'm still only trying...

[tbc]

Edited by Hasi
  • Like 2

I so want to have a play with one of these!

My recommendation is to have another shot just to be sure you’re doing it right

• Like 3

@SkateReclaimCreate

I so want to have a play with one of these!

My recommendation is to have another shot just to be sure you’re doing it right

I'd then be very sure I'm doing it completely wrong

• Like 2

the pavs are sensitive to grind, weight - well we know all coffee machines are but with the pavs you feel it in the lever

I pre warm the cup and portafilter in some boiled water - dry it off - add coffee and tamp (the tamp is not as sensitive as a full size portafilter)

when you lift the lever do it slowly particularly at the point the water flows in hold it there for 10secs (you can watch the water in the sight glass go down slightly as it pre infuses) - if the grind is in the zone you may get a few drops of coffee just start to drip into the cup.

Lower the lever slowly over 30 seconds.

You will probably find that you start to adjust the grind a tiny bit this way or that after each shot

I find thepav levers more involving particularly where you have to think a lot more about it becoming almost a ritual - its like the Shinto Tea ceremony but with a pav lever ;)

• Like 2

keep calm and grind flat

I'd then be very sure I'm doing it completely wrong

Did you released the “false” pressure? I’m not sure if your particular machine has a vacuum breaker.

Also, there may be air in the group, most likely hence why coffee only came out half way through the lever downward movement.

There are all sorts of techniques to get that sorted out, and also depends on which “version” you have.

For me, what has been working is to pull the lever down slightly, like pulling the lever with my little finger down until you see a drop of coffee coming down.I have a bottomless PF so it’s easier.if you don’t own one I’d highly recommend you get one -it’s invaluable to know what’s going on.

Then push the lever back up and you will notice water coming into the group and the lever becomes stiffer. Then pull your shot.

However, for you particular machine there may be other techniques, like opening the steam wand and at the same time push the lever up until some water comes out.

You can also do a few half way pumps on the lever (no water comes out) to get the group up to temp.

There’s a lot of I go on the La Pavoni lever Facebook group. I’ve joined when I got mine a month ago. They have a lot of people who use them so a lot of info and advice there. They even organised a tour to the Pavoni factory the other week!

Good luck on your lever journey!

Thank you guys!

By accident (or call it intuition :D ) I sort of did it almost that way... now I got to play with all variables :cool:

Only thing I noticed: after pulling my (rather over extracted...) shots, the group head is still under pressure. Not much, but enough to force grounds over the basket rim.

Is it overfilled?

Too fine a grind?

What's max basket fill level?

But ( @joey24dirt ;) ) it is so much fun to experiment with a LaPav!!

• Like 2

Hi hasi - its just a question of leaving it for a minute or lifting the lever a tiny bit - or just lever of the portafilter very slowly

occasionally run a brush around the seal to remove any coffee from the group had seal.

• Like 1

keep calm and grind flat