Hi there,

just for the fun of it - here‘s my office unit.

ca4ebb52331856a2974c8d606bc047a6.jpg

Lately did a little service, it‘s such a neat and fun piece to work on. Very accessible despite its compact footprint.

e932a21bbd642fdc44d568e9f909582c.jpg

If anyone has questions about the 0835 (or other Quickmill-specific groups) just let me know...!

says Hasi.

'This Sunday I will be out in the road saying - "Hasi says your impeading me from pursuing my recreational motivations while you wank off over the finer details of some aloof brainfork" :whistle: ' @jimbojohn55

Deep Thought says 'tight wiggles' is the answer. @Scotford

haha, yea!

My thoughts exactly when I decided to upload :cool:

says Hasi.

'This Sunday I will be out in the road saying - "Hasi says your impeading me from pursuing my recreational motivations while you wank off over the finer details of some aloof brainfork" :whistle: ' @jimbojohn55

Nice machine, reminds me of the profitec 300 pro with its monolithic looks

Gaggia Classic Chrome - Mignon Specialita 55

Looks nice, are these a single boiler dual use machines?

The peculiarity of espresso beverage is the simultaneous presence of three dispersed phases coexisting within a matrix, namely a concentrated solution of salts, acids, sugars, caffeine and many other hydrophilic substances. These phases are: an emulsion of oil droplets, a suspension of solid particles and an effervescence of gas bubbles, which evolves into a foam.

MildredM's towels, joey24dirt's tamper, Norvin's dosing ring, Portaspresso Rossa PG Air and HC-P, Kinu M68, Feld47 travel, Aergrind, Bellman steamer, IMS baskets, Hario Syphon TC3, Java Maestro dripper, Chemex, French press, Gnali & Zani moka pot, Bonavita kettle & scales, BWT Bestmax Premium

Nice machine, reminds me of the profitec 300 pro with its monolithic looks

Monolithic indeed, especially because it includes the grinder in a single housing. Surely it sucks if either has a terminal problem and you have to throw everything...

However, I went for this because of workplace ease of cleaning and the ability to move it around the office if necessary.

Looks nice, are these a single boiler dual use machines?

Yes, the heat exchanger is quite special and works pretty OK:

http://www.quickmill.it/images/files/76_0835n_retr%C3%B2.pdf

Here's an in-depth review that makes a lot of sense: http://www.coffeegeek.com/forums/espresso/machines/717865

Totally agree on CappuccinoKid's view of the stainless steel group head - looks a bit awkward to the average espresso afficionado but it really works well!

A bit of advice if someone looks into getting one of these:

- The grinder (43mm flat burrs) has a rotary timer switch that sometimes does not work very accurately, so if consistency is key (which I presume is the case for everybody in here), I urge every user to weigh their dose every time.

- I always double dose with this setup, singles would very often give me undrinkable results (keeping in mind this is a workplace thing so no time to fiddle around too much):

└─> A. coarser grind will overfill single basket and a reduced dose may underextract or

└─> B. finer grind to suit basket size will most likely overextract

- Channel and chute are long and narrow (which might be the reason for the above points), if you're taking it seriously, this causes some waste (stale leftovers) as well as some extra work (distribution of compressed discharge)

- Grinder adjustment has 8 steps but stays steady in between. Settings outside this scale may be achieved by unscrewing the adjustment handle and putting it back at another position (they wisely made slot holes :good: )

- baskets are ridgeless by default :cool:

Edited by Hasi

says Hasi.

Portafilter.

One more specality of the construction is a stainless steel portafilter. On newer units it has been replaced by a more standard brass model.

While the brass version is a heavy cast chuck (edit: I meant to type 'chunk' in the first place, but leave it as a Freudian slip) that could kill people, the original idea of using stainless steel sheets to punch out a lightweight basket holder complemented overall construction very well: it's all trimmed to guarantee super quick warm-up times. Without flushing (doesn't really help on this machine, anyways) or steaming (does help!) it takes less than 10 minutes to fully heat all components and successfully pull shots.

Brew Pressure.

Older models feature brew pressure adjustment through a rotary dial (connected to a burst fired control, so in fact tuning pump pressure itself) at the lower end of the machine. Newer models (mine included) lack this function. As a different pump is being used since removing the feature, it cannot be retrofitted. BUT... I'm thinking of integrating an expansion valve (like in DB machines) right at the pump exit as well as an in-line pressure gauge to gain more control over my extractions. I'm thinking about that after multiple years of daily use, so I believe it might actually be useful: if I find a way to instantly modify brew pressure, I might also get rid of the single dose issue mentioned above.

Will report once the project starts!

Edited by Hasi

says Hasi.

It‘s going to receive a useful modification... stay tuned!

says Hasi.

First update after my little four-day-trip to mid-Germany where I attended a seminar on classic car engines ( :cool: )

Arrival of parts...

4f86b1083b18b3e985bb35b9fd37c38e.jpg

What could it be...?!

says Hasi.

a worthy mod

The peculiarity of espresso beverage is the simultaneous presence of three dispersed phases coexisting within a matrix, namely a concentrated solution of salts, acids, sugars, caffeine and many other hydrophilic substances. These phases are: an emulsion of oil droplets, a suspension of solid particles and an effervescence of gas bubbles, which evolves into a foam.

MildredM's towels, joey24dirt's tamper, Norvin's dosing ring, Portaspresso Rossa PG Air and HC-P, Kinu M68, Feld47 travel, Aergrind, Bellman steamer, IMS baskets, Hario Syphon TC3, Java Maestro dripper, Chemex, French press, Gnali & Zani moka pot, Bonavita kettle & scales, BWT Bestmax Premium

And there it is!

fbfc3f178a9459610db818602d261e0e.jpg

93e23fa74a33e0fa4a0ccf22d1c91b7c.jpg

eec97d8eb33b62989ed120a3e3d343b5.jpg

6ee002d7f532fc3e602b4529de7b839d.jpg

It took me longer than expected, but finding a suitable manometer bracket (as none was included), drilling and fiddling with the wastepipe gave me an extra hour...

Tomorrow I shall brew some spros. Report will follow shortly!

says Hasi.

This is definitely going to improve the taste of your espresso!

Did you put the manometer before the OPV? If so you might consider changing things a bit so that you van read the pressure after the OPV has regulated the pressure. For now you only see the pressure generated by the pump.

I am following with intrest as I had a few simular machines before :-)

Edited by martinierius

Carimali UNO || KINU M47,M68 || Aeropress || Feldgrind,aergrind || Mini Gaggia || ROK hand grinder || Chemex || Kalita 185 || Clever dripper

Behmor 1600 PLUS, modded with beanprobe

And there it is!

fbfc3f178a9459610db818602d261e0e.jpg

93e23fa74a33e0fa4a0ccf22d1c91b7c.jpg

eec97d8eb33b62989ed120a3e3d343b5.jpg

6ee002d7f532fc3e602b4529de7b839d.jpg

It took me longer than expected, but finding a suitable manometer bracket (as none was included), drilling and fiddling with the wastepipe gave me an extra hour...

Tomorrow I shall brew some spros. Report will follow shortly!

We here did you find the clamp? Am short one too & was considering fabricating one when I make up a box to fit it to my tebe.

Also agree obout OPV. As I understand things, you may want to have it a bit further along than next to the pump too so it's vibes doesn't affect the gauge as much.

Laissez les bons temps rouler

Hey guys,

thanks for your inputs!

Had the same thoughts when putting the components together. Although, I came to the conclusion that a pressurised system always has to have the same pressure, no matter where you take measurements. Here, we're not talking about a jet nozzle that releases water into a non-pressurised volume. With an over-pressure valve, you rather redirect a partial stream like an overflow. Hence, in-line pressure should be equally shared. Also, with this setup resistance builds up from the other end - the portafilter. If you flush, you'll see not more than 2bar - only with a filled PF the pump really needs to get going.

I'm still giving another arrangement a try in due time. Especially because of aforementioned effect on the gauge. I've seen just that during my first tests. Maybe I need to insert a hose between pump and gauge to limit vibration transfer. Need - more - fittings* :cool:

* btw that was my real reason for this particular array: these were all the parts I had. Then thinking my way into an excuse to still execute it the other night :exit:

Edited by Hasi

says Hasi.

Oh and the clamp... I found it in a box in my workshop, where I keep spare fixing brackets/angles and all that jazz.

I think it belonged to some sort of transport frame or other temporary structure something else was delivered in...?! Nothing dedicated or special. ;)

says Hasi.

Where did you source the gauge and what's the dimension from the panel to the furthest part of the bracket?

I'm interested in swapping my vibiemme one on my classic out for something with less depth at the rear and had hoped that these 'proud' style gauges occupy less space behind the panel...but your photo with the bracket seems to imply not....

Gaggia Classic Chrome - Mignon Specialita 55

Where did you source the gauge and what's the dimension from the panel to the furthest part of the bracket?

I'm interested in swapping my vibiemme one on my classic out for something with less depth at the rear and had hoped that these 'proud' style gauges occupy less space behind the panel...but your photo with the bracket seems to imply not....

Got it through se Germans:

https://www.espressoxxl.de/MANOMETER-PUMPE-016-BAR-r-41-mm-1-8-FUER-ISOMAC-GIADA-MAVERICK-VENUS-TEA

They have many different ones in stock, I was looking for the smallest (and blackest :D ) gauge at reasonable price...

13610.jpg

Here you can see it sticks out half way, thus reducing required space on the inside. I'll take measurements once the new fittings arrive and my machine is disassembled again :)

I'd reckon it extends around 20-25mm to the inside - telling from memory... but as tubing is attached to the rear end it might need another 20mm to properly form a radius on the capillary.

says Hasi.

One week into brewing with lesser pressure...

a. Much more consistent results.

aa. Hooray!

aaa. Need to correct myself: grinder may not be that bad at outputting predictably even amounts. Or is it OPV ironing out some of the previous discrepancy...?

b. Pump audio has changed to a nicer, lower Hz sound output. A bit like equipping a Fiesta with a sports exhaust - doesn't make a difference but at least sounds more powerful :D

c. Yes, needle's bouncing quite a bit - so need to approximate mean deflection by rule of thumb for the time being. Going to overcome with what postie delivers, anytime soon. Let's see how pump sounds like then...

Although I don't recommend fiddling around with pressurised systems at home (think of what might go wrong if your construction fails), throwing in an OPV looks like a worthy mod for those who dare - at their own risk, obviously.

says Hasi.

1339a8da19da5b5a0e58734013b80bf1.jpg

For the sake of completeness that's the re-wiring! Did it a while ago, but only now saw that I didn't put it here.

Works a charm, the needle dances only little. And you can hear the OPV kick in by listening to the water burbling along in the tank

says Hasi.