Coffee Forums banner

Er indoors wants a stronger Cappuccino

2K views 21 replies 16 participants last post by  ashcroc 
#1 ·
Well my wife has nailed her flag to the mast. My current cappuccinos are a little lightweight, so was wondering what would be the best ratio to bring it up to?

I currently put 16g of ground coffee in and get 25g of liquid out over 25 seconds. She has said that it seems a little weak. I am inclined to agree with her. A couple of times I have just let the extraction run on to get more liquid, but it isnt ideal.

Working on the numbers that I have given what is the ratio and what would others suggest in order to get a stronger coffee?

Thanks for your input.

#4 ·
The biggest change I found with my Sage DTP was changing to a darker roast, specifically Coffee Compass Hill & Valley. I think this made it easier for the DTP to extract more flavour, being a darker roast.

#6 ·
Thanks Systematic Kid. I currently use Brighton Lanes. It gives a great flavour. The kind that I really like. Is there anything that you would recommend that might be suitable?

#7 ·
You don't say what beans you are using but I'll go with the darker roasts as well, I generally enjoy espresso's and my Dear Lady a cappuccino, I can't help but put a dollop of foam on my espresso, I suppose making it a Macchiato and the taste just follows through beautifly.

AND Madam is more than happy.

Jon.

#8 ·
Hey El carajillo. I use Brighton Lanes. I have experimented in the past, but I found that BL really did it for me. Perhaps I need to do some more?

#9 ·
The best two I've found up to press to satisfy both our tastes are..........

Tynemouth Espresso from Tynemouth Coffee Co

And

Colombian from Mr Beans.

Jon.

#11 ·
Try the Gaggia triple with maybe 20g in and also try extending your ratio maybe as far a 1 to 3 but often a bit less. You can extend on time or via the grinder setting. In your case I would suspect that 1 to 2 in 30sec extended via time might be the best option.

No idea what your baskets should hold but be aware that too much can result in a coarser than ideal grind being used. If too low the usual result at some point is a messy puck.

I don't drink or even make milk based now so can't suggest any beans. Your gaggia triple should put you in the Sage double area size wise and lots of people manage to produce strong milk based using those with all sorts of beans.

John

-

#12 ·
It's been said a few times up above and surely the easiest quick win is just to give her a bit less milk....

#13 ·
Drewster said:
It's been said a few times up above and surely the easiest quick win is just to give her a bit less milk....
Do you measure the milk right now? That would at least give you a way of getting to the ideal coffee to milk ratio. I use a Wilko Pyrex 1 pint measuring jug to froth my milk. For 17g in and around 35g out I use between 110 and 140ml of milk. That's decaf, but probably in the ballpark.

#14 ·
Surely you would always fill the cup to both enjoy the latte art and foam, UNLESS otherwise directed by Er, in doors, the all important factor of the OP.

Jon.

#16 ·
Our regular drink is flat white in a 160ml cup - 17.5g dose with around 30g espresso - using a medium dark roast. Rave Italian Job but currently trying some of Tynemouth CC roasts which are also good. Even going up to a 200ml cup, the flavour is still very good.

I don't really see the point of cappuccino - I'd rather have liquid than foam/froth. I only end up with one if I don't get the microfoam right..

#17 ·
StuartS said:
Our regular drink is flat white in a 160ml cup - 17.5g dose with around 30g espresso - using a medium dark roast. Rave Italian Job but currently trying some of Tynemouth CC roasts which are also good. Even going up to a 200ml cup, the flavour is still very good.

I don't really see the point of cappuccino - I'd rather have liquid than foam/froth. I only end up with one if I don't get the microfoam right..
Stuart you are on a collision course with Er in Doors .. It appears she like a cappuccino, flat whites are not a substitute.

I'll go with you on the Tynemouth products which I prefer the Tynemouth Espresso over the Black Midden, either way I'd settle for either when compared with many others over the last few months.

Jon.

#18 ·
StuartS said:

Decent Cappuccino has good micro foam too, just a little more of it.

#19 ·
Rave Italian job here to, and it does vary depending on cup used more so, smaller the better for stronger taste. Do tend to froth same amount of milk and getting quite consistent with it now to. Id say probably an inch on top is dense foam.

Also do experiment with Ameircano style topped up with milk but varying amounts that is one was way to get stronger less milk.

#20 · (Edited by Moderator)
Maybe the OP is more modern in the drink size area. 8 and 12oz / 240 and 360ml aren't unusual. The huge ones 16oz etc seem to have mostly gone. If drinking out I usually go for a large americano so you can guess what I drink at home - a 12oz long black. I suspect that there isn't a bean on the planet that would make a capaccino I would like with the doses mentioned as they would be getting on for 12oz as well - somewhat less to allow for foam. I only buy those out if I have to and add plenty of powder on top.

We do have some 60, 80's etc coffee cups about but they haven't been used for a long time. May as well get rid of them really.
;)
The 60's ones belonged to my parents and even those didn't get used for long - espresso sized. The others were bought by my wife, left over from her first marriage. Probably hardly ever used but a lot bigger than the others.

If the OP is having strength problems he may be over filling - it's tempting to just add more coffee but too much doesn't work out. Maybe he should try a coin on top of the tamped grounds and fitting the portafilter and then checking the impression the coin leaves. A very slight one seems to be favourite.

I usually try new beans when ever I buy some. I then find out how much I need to use. If the OP has a strength problem the simple answer that doesn't mean buying another type of bean which also may not work out is to use a bigger basket.

Whoops - bit of an edit in bold

John

-

#21 ·
I can only repeat what several others have said - less milk. How much are you adding? Maybe she just doens't like really milky or long drinks. There was a time when I drank cappuccinos but I'd find them too weak now even with extra shots added.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.