fatboyslim

LSOL May/June - Long and Short Exclusive!!!

Not really. I'm getting pucks stuck to my shower screen at 18g in an 18g VST.

I'm going to have a random guess (as I usually get it wrong. :rolleyes:)

DR Congo Honey Processed..

Oh wow you guessed it!!! Not!

My money is on this being a naturally processed Ethiopian. In pourovers I get flavours of blueberries, tropical fruit and florals (maybe parma violets). In immersion I find the fruit becomes more tropical with a grapefruit tang. These beans are absolutely delicious and I'd put these as one of the top tier LSOL.
Indeed, I too got parma violets traces so that's why I associate it with a Bolivian natural.

Vesuvius stainless steel pipework / VST18 / Mahlkoenig Peak / Torr flat brass

Oh wow you guessed it!!! Not!

See, I was right... I usually get it wrong. :whistle:

Input: 'Terranovered’ Versalab M3 + Mahlkonig EK43 Turkish burrs + Niche

Output: KVdW Speedster + V60 + AeroPress + Syphon + Bialetti Induction Moka Pot + Bialetti Mucka Express + jar of instant for visitors..

Another spro, better at 18.2:38g in 27 seconds. Quite a light bodied coffee I’m finding. Certainly not a thick gloopy shot but isn’t bad at all.

Official guess is pulped natural Brazilian

R58, Niche (midnight black), IMS screen, VST Basket, Acaia Pearl, Torr GF, Feldgrind, V60, Kalita 185 and loads of other stuff I probably don't need :)

1+6 on a feldgrind so fairly fine. Think it needed longer tbh
Yep that should be fine enough for a shorter steep. Doesn't hurt trying longer brews until you're definitely over extracting.

Anybody else struggling to get a nice clean naked pf shot with this? My normal prep is resulting in quite a lot of spraying and dead patches in the basket. Just made another and it’s just lacking sweetness and body. Tastes a bit nasty tbh. Finding this quite inconsistent which I suspect is my method. Thoughts?

R58, Niche (midnight black), IMS screen, VST Basket, Acaia Pearl, Torr GF, Feldgrind, V60, Kalita 185 and loads of other stuff I probably don't need :)

Anybody else struggling to get a nice clean naked pf shot with this? My normal prep is resulting in quite a lot of spraying and dead patches in the basket. Just made another and it’s just lacking sweetness and body. Tastes a bit nasty tbh. Finding this quite inconsistent which I suspect is my method. Thoughts?
Not spraying but dead spots starts to form towards the end of the shot.

Vesuvius stainless steel pipework / VST18 / Mahlkoenig Peak / Torr flat brass

Not spraying but dead spots starts to form towards the end of the shot.

getting them right from the off. Might give the screen and basket a soak although I do this regularly anyway.

getting them right from the off. Might give the screen and basket a soak although I do this regularly anyway.
If I could get my new nekid PF to work I could tell you

Ben - I've seen you're having a few issues.

Spray/dead spots will definitely be from shot prep, which means channelling...and a poor extraction. I'm sure you already know this. I'd recommend getting a distribution tool, or stir vigorously with a tooth pick (with one of Norvin's epic alu portafilter hoppers) and ensure there are no clumps from the grinder. Check your tamp technique and make sure the bed is completely flat; I find this more important than strength of tamp. Make sure the grind is tight enough. The target on espresso is to extract the sweetness, and will provide hints of the er, other stuff. You can pump up body (-ish) by aiming for sweetness and going finer. The coffee is delicate and a deft hand will be required on espresso.

Or just use a V60 and all the layers will be revealed.

Full reveal coming soon - I wanted to let a stray parcel arrive at its destination first.

Thanks all for the feedback and hope you're enjoying the coffee. This particular coffee, from our experience with the region/processing, should keep opening up -- but as we got this one out so quickly/early, we are learning along with you.

Ben - I've seen you're having a few issues.

Spray/dead spots will definitely be from shot prep, which means channelling...and a poor extraction. I'm sure you already know this. I'd recommend getting a distribution tool, or stir vigorously with a tooth pick (with one of Norvin's epic alu portafilter hoppers) and ensure there are no clumps from the grinder. Check your tamp technique and make sure the bed is completely flat; I find this more important than strength of tamp. Make sure the grind is tight enough. The target on espresso is to extract the sweetness, and will provide hints of the er, other stuff. You can pump up body (-ish) by aiming for sweetness and going finer. The coffee is delicate and a deft hand will be required on espresso.

Or just use a V60 and all the layers will be revealed.

Full reveal coming soon - I wanted to let a stray parcel arrive at its destination first.

Thanks all for the feedback and hope you're enjoying the coffee. This particular coffee, from our experience with the region/processing, should keep opening up -- but as we got this one out so quickly/early, we are learning along with you.

Thanke for that. My prep is as described so I think it could be grind. I’ll go a touch diner and see if that tightens the shot up and see what happens. Thanks again

I’m getting some lovely sweet tasting espresso in the 18g:36g in the 38-40 second range. Think this is the finest I’ve gone so far on the monolith. Going this fine really highlights any problems in shot prep (that’s coffee in my eye)

Vesuvius, Monolith Conical, Feldgrind

I’m getting some lovely sweet tasting espresso in the 18g:36g in the 38-40 second range. Think this is the finest I’ve gone so far on the monolith. Going this fine really highlights any problems in shot prep (that’s coffee in my eye)

I'm using same ratio but around 30 seconds. Think a touch finer is what's needed for me. Realise our kit is different but think that's what I need to do

I’m not getting any visible disribition problems with these.

Just a thought are you single dosing or are you using a hopper/bean stack?

Sage DB; Mazzer Major; VST 15g, 18g & 20g Baskets;TORR Trapez & Perger Tamper

I’m not getting any visible disribition problems with these.

Just a thought are you single dosing or are you using a hopper/bean stack?

Hopper with a Mythos. I grind in to the pf, stick a dosing ring in, give it a stir with a toothpick, tap, spin a knockoff OCD to flatten then tamp.

Hopper with a Mythos. I grind in to the pf, stick a dosing ring in, give it a stir with a toothpick, tap, spin a knockoff OCD to flatten then tamp.

That’s blown that theory then..

What are you dosing?

That’s blown that theory then..

What are you dosing?

Tried 18.5 and 19.5g in an 18g vst.

Bugger! I’m out of advice

EB316A2E-1AAE-4F9A-9916-70D5E173E586.jpg

Went finer. This was 19.5:38g in 43 seconds. Looked better eventually but still a bit dribbly to start with. Taste was marzipan sweet, some acidity and a funkiness that wasn’t unpleasant. Based on others notes I’ve still not hit the sweet spot. Wondering if it’s half way between where I was and where I am. Might drop a gram from the dose and see what happens.

First two shots of this and they seemed to be good enough that I might just stick with the recipe (18 to 40 in 38s with a 13s presinfusion, ramp up to 9bar then manually switched to 6 bar flat after 10g).

My guess has gone so I'll go for a Colombian natural.

Home: Sage Dual Boiler, Probat EK43 & Feldgind

Work: Sage Dual Boiler & Niche Zero

Finally got this right. 10sec pre-infusion, up to 9.5 bar with 18g in and 36ish out, in 32secs. If I allow a longer shot (38g+) it starts to taste like cr*p. Duly noted.

Guessing the rest time on this is really long! Over the last week I had been noticing a lot of variation in the cup, despite keeping all other variables the same (grind, tamp pressure, machine pressure). Seems to have totally settled down over the last 3 days - meaning small tweaks to the grind are having their desired effect, allowing me to properly dial in the bean.

Nuova Simonelli Oscar II // Macap MXD //

Yes, especially on espresso, if it feels a bit rough around the edges, it probably just needs more rest.

Those familiar with this terroir and processing will know it needs the rest and will continue to open more over time.

I am not confirming or denying any prior guess at this stage either ;)

[ATTACH=CONFIG]34866[/ATTACH]

Went finer. This was 19.5:38g in 43 seconds. Looked better eventually but still a bit dribbly to start with. Taste was marzipan sweet, some acidity and a funkiness that wasn’t unpleasant. Based on others notes I’ve still not hit the sweet spot. Wondering if it’s half way between where I was and where I am. Might drop a gram from the dose and see what happens.

Stick to a dose, adjust your output and or grind.

Your among your life too complicated

I write a blog, it's nothing to do with coffee ...

https://rjwinc.wordpress.com

Instagram - rjw_inc

Pour over of this today.

Nom, noms, sweet berries, but of funk, but mostly clean. tastes of red summer sweetness with nice acidity.

Getting those memories of Mr men summer lollies

I write a blog, it's nothing to do with coffee ...

https://rjwinc.wordpress.com

Instagram - rjw_inc