fatboyslim

LSOL May/June - Long and Short Exclusive!!!

If you are at all struggling on espresso, I would strongly advise switching to V60 with the best grinder you have at your disposal.

I'm part of the anti-agitation crew; I feel that you can get slightly higher extraction ratios from agitation, at the expense of clarity and flavour definition. Just updose, job done. The espresso machine is basically agitation level-100.

Don't get me wrong - for this sort of coffee, I've had some great shots with espresso machines - but never the same clarity as a hand-poured filter.

Reveal coming in the next couple of days, so watch this space...

Let's start guessing the origin then.

I find it similar to other Bolivian natural I had.

BTW I'm one who's not struggling with espresso.

Vesuvius stainless steel pipework / VST18 / Mahlkoenig Peak / Torr flat brass

Had an absolutely delicious french press this morning, sweet berries.

Vesuvius, Monolith Conical, Feldgrind

Had two spros with this so far. First was 19.6:40g in 45 seconds. Had the smell of a natural which was lovely but was bitter and muddled.

Second i slackened off a bit and got 19.6:40g in 35 seconds. Better but still muddled, will try the same grind again but maybe reduce the dose a touch.

Also going to try a v60 soon

as for a guess. Too early to say, pretty confident it’s a natural, don’t think it’s Ethiopian as seems more blueberry and lime than strawberry which I usually find with those. Definate cocoa undertone too which is nice. South American natural is where I’m leaning but not sure

R58, Niche (midnight black), IMS screen, VST Basket, Acaia Pearl, Torr GF, Feldgrind, V60, Kalita 185 and loads of other stuff I probably don't need :)

less candy cane but still there, some black tea, definite coco with spro 14g - 35g double lever - still think Africa Rwanda natural - if I keep saying it every month eventually it will come around.

keep calm and grind flat

I’ve had good results going mega fine (62 sec shot) and coarse 19=>40g 30 secs. But nothing in the middle

Sage DB; Mazzer Major; VST 15g, 18g & 20g Baskets;TORR Trapez & Perger Tamper

less candy cane but still there, some black tea, definite coco with spro 14g - 35g double lever - still think Africa Rwanda natural - if I keep saying it every month eventually it will come around.

I’m thinking something like a Rwanda Natural too.

I might try going pretty fine and tamp only using the OCD style distribution tool as it flattens it a bit, plus the pre-infusion is very soft to start with. I've got my brew boiler PID set at 95 degrees (but shows around 93 on the display). Wondering whether to drop it a bit to see what difference it makes.

Input: 'Terranovered’ Versalab M3 + Mahlkonig EK43 Turkish burrs + Niche

Output: KVdW Speedster + V60 + AeroPress + Syphon + Bialetti Induction Moka Pot + Bialetti Mucka Express + jar of instant for visitors..

I've not swayed from my original thoughts. Fruity, chocolatey, balanced acidity, natural but gently so. If this isn't Ethiopian I'll eat the soon to be empty bag. I'll take a bonus point for a Gigessa Guji as well thank you very much (nothing like setting yourself up for a fall).

I've not swayed from my original thoughts. Fruity, chocolatey, balanced acidity, natural but gently so. If this isn't Ethiopian I'll eat the soon to be empty bag. I'll take a bonus point for a Gigessa Guji as well thank you very much (nothing like setting yourself up for a fall).

When-Things-Get-Uncertain-Get-Creative-A-Safety-Net-is-Great-When-You-Need-One.jpg

Output: KVdW Speedster + V60 + AeroPress + Syphon + Bialetti Induction Moka Pot + Bialetti Mucka Express + jar of instant for visitors..

Going to try an aeropress this morning. 13.5:225 give it a bit of a stir, leave it a minute and plunge.

R58, Niche (midnight black), IMS screen, VST Basket, Acaia Pearl, Torr GF, Feldgrind, V60, Kalita 185 and loads of other stuff I probably don't need :)

Todays try

19=>42g 47secs

A good mixture of fruit, craziness, choc and funk.

I’m at about a notch finer than traditional espresso range on the Major.

I’ve had good results going mega fine (62 sec shot) and coarse 19=>40g 30 secs. But nothing in the middle

Similar here - the accidental >1minute shot I first made prior to dialling in has been my best shot! Good results with coarser grinds in a more typical 25-35 secs but can’t get that first shot out of my head!

I put it down to being under rested and assumed it was a one off / would get better with a more typical shot and haven’t even tried that recipe again but will go back and try a much finer grind for my next shot!

Niche Zero || Feld2 || Aergrind

Profitec Pro 500 PID || Acaia Lunar

Kalita Wave || V60 || Aeropress || Clever Dripper || French Press

Going to try an aeropress this morning. 13.5:225 give it a bit of a stir, leave it a minute and plunge.

Hmm that didn’t work. Very thin, slightly bitter and a bit bland. Where to go?

Hmm that didn’t work. Very thin, slightly bitter and a bit bland. Where to go?
What sort of grind did you give that?

I rarely use such short steeps for aeropress unless its a really fine (for pour over) grind. If it's a coarse grind steep for 3 mins and see how that changes things.

(should add i haven't moved on to AP yet)

I've been running this mostly as espresso based (into flat white), running slightly tighter than i might normally (18>36/38 at 40secs+), which I've been enjoying.

The V60s I have had (bouncing between this and a Guatemalan from Bailies at the moment), have been particularly nice - sweet and clean (I've been doing a fairly lazy one-pour after bloom method of late).

I think this month's has reinforced my preference for pour over vs espresso based coffee.

@mrbagel @fatboyslim @daren - thanks for sorting what has been one of my favourite coffees so far this year

V60 - Sage DTP - Sette 270 - Feldgrind

When is the big reveal???

I have just made my first shot. 14 into 34g. About 50 seconds... I can do better than that!!

If I was being forced to make my prediction immediately I'd have to go with an Ethiopian Natural... However I'll come back later with final guess.

I'm getting plenty of funk and cocoa from this cup.. There's plenty more in there for me to discover.

When is the big reveal???

I'm leaving it totally in the hands of @mrbagel (assuming he's cool with that ;) )

My money is on this being a naturally processed Ethiopian. In pourovers I get flavours of blueberries, tropical fruit and florals (maybe parma violets). In immersion I find the fruit becomes more tropical with a grapefruit tang. These beans are absolutely delicious and I'd put these as one of the top tier LSOL.

What sort of grind did you give that?

I rarely use such short steeps for aeropress unless its a really fine (for pour over) grind. If it's a coarse grind steep for 3 mins and see how that changes things.

(should add i haven't moved on to AP yet)

1+6 on a feldgrind so fairly fine. Think it needed longer tbh

Has anyone found that slightly updosing with these makes a much better espresso?

The shots I’ve tried without doing this have gone either slightly bitter or papery (possibly just my basket prep)

19g shot in a 18g VST have been stonkingly good

I’ll be surprised if this is Ethiopian. I’m not getting that at all! It’s a natural - honestly can’t peg the country just yet though.

Equally - it’s been tougher than most to get dialled in on ‘spro. Enjoyable enough, but not mind blowing. Maybe I’m just spoiled these days!

Nuova Simonelli Oscar II // Macap MXD //

I’ll be surprised if this is Ethiopian. I’m not getting that at all! It’s a natural - honestly can’t peg the country just yet though.

Equally - it’s been tougher than most to get dialled in on ‘spro. Enjoyable enough, but not mind blowing. Maybe I’m just spoiled these days!

As ive said earlier I’ve struggled to with mid range shots. The mega fine 1 minute long shots and the coarser quicker ones seem to really stand out for me. Maybe that’s how the roaster gets their name

Has anyone found that slightly updosing with these makes a much better espresso?

The shots I’ve tried without doing this have gone either slightly bitter or papery (possibly just my basket prep)

Funnily enough I did the same as a quick way of slowing flow by couple seconds. Was running late for work so adjusting grind was a no no. Went for 19.5g in 18g vst and 36g out in about 32 sec. Best actually yet. All my others have been 18.0g and ranging from 36-45 with tight and coarse and really not hit that sweet spot yet. I had it and then lost it but that was on a fairly fast shot. Fiber grind has not improved taste massively. Changed it, yes, but still bitterness coming through. Also found it extracts very very easily hitting 21% in an 18-41 shot in 31 sec. Didn't taste great.

LR - EK43S; Ceado E37S; Aergrind; Comandante MK3 - Syphon & V60 - patience

Not really. I'm getting pucks stuck to my shower screen at 18g in an 18g VST.

I'm going to have a random guess (as I usually get it wrong. :rolleyes:)

DR Congo Honey Processed..