fatboyslim

LSOL May/June - Long and Short Exclusive!!!

I opened the bag again this morning . My ratio was 19g in 40 out. I had one in the morning and after that I couldn't stop. I lost the count of how many doubles I had , might be 5 to 7. Surely so much coffee will affect my sleep tonight so I'll go for a run now to compensate LOL.

Anyway, it developed a beautifully fruity floral funk and it is also something nice there which I do not recognise. :good:

Vesuvius stainless steel pipework / VST18 / Mahlkoenig Peak / Torr flat brass

I opened the bag again this morning . My ratio was 19g in 40 out. :

Cheers what time was it? I’ll adjust the grind and try again.

Sage DB; Mazzer Major; VST 15g, 18g & 20g Baskets;TORR Trapez & Perger Tamper

Well, I do not know if my brew time would be relevant for a conventional machine. I use now a very different pressure profile from what you'll find on other machines AFAIK. The aim of this profile is to get a constant and consistent flow through all the puck. It starts with 8s pre-infusion (which is a ramp to 2bar) and then a slow ramp up to 9bar. Immediately after pi the flow starts and the ramp to 9bar takes 12s (hits the 9bar peak) then a very-very slow ramp down to 5bar. Overall 42s. The ideea behind this slow ramp up came after seeing a @DavecUK post. This together with the pi, IMO, reduces the chances of channeling and prepare the puck for an even extraction, then the ramp down is for constant flow. Hope this helps.

Well, I do not know if my brew time would be relevant for a conventional machine. I use now a very different pressure profile from what you'll find on other machines AFAIK. The aim of this profile is to get a constant and consistent flow through all the puck. It starts with 8s pre-infusion (which is a ramp to 2bar) and then a slow ramp up to 9bar. Immediately after pi the flow starts and the ramp to 9bar takes 12s (hits the 9bar peak) then a very-very slow ramp down to 5bar. Overall 42s. The ideea behind this slow ramp up came after seeing a @DavecUK post. This together with the pi, IMO, reduces the chances of channeling and prepare the puck for an even extraction, then the ramp down is for constant flow. Hope this helps.

Cheers dude. I’ve not done pre infusion for a while and I just go for a low pressure profile through out the shot. From what you’ve said I can work out a benchmark from there. :)

Sage DB; Mazzer Major; VST 15g, 18g & 20g Baskets;TORR Trapez & Perger Tamper

14g - 30g espresso 20 sec pre - still getting a candy cane at the start - but then im still learning to use the the Cimbali lever, so lots of trials and tweaking

keep calm and grind flat

Sorry it's taken so long to respond - it's been rather hectic recently!

Glad people seem to be enjoying the coffee - we serve to please.

Our preference is for V60 and dialling back the coarseness as far as possible before hitting astringency/weakness - whichever descriptor you live by. Tetsu Kasuya's 4-6 Brewers Cup method is our choice, but I'd assume almost anything else should do the job too. Using an original Feldgrind at home, I *slight* updose 12.5g into 200g at 2.4. to be honest, 12g will be fine too, but I just like a little extra.

To be honest, this is my recipe for any great coffees and often find if I deviate much, it's more the fault of the coffee than the machine/Mano.

I won't comment on espresso since this is far too large a topic to tackle in regards to the expansive range of equipment people are likely to have... The long and the short of it, ahem, is that you should be able to get a great shot from it.

Enjoy!

Stuck with 16:260 but coarsened the grind somewhat (down to 2.10 on feldgrind) and went for fewer pours in the kalita (50g bloom and 3x70g). Really nice result and drained through much better, so great suggestion! Can probably go a little courser and still be in an acceptable range :)

Interesting 24hrs after a bit of meddling.

Yesterday I slackened the grind a touch as I thought the extractions were running a bit long but the fruity notes just vanished.

Tightened up again this morning and dropped the temperature a tad to 93C (was 96 before), 10 sec pre-wet, 14g-35g in 45 secs. Super sweet again although I wonder if the berry pop is gone never to return.

Back in the good zone but different.

Edited by Flying_Vee

I just tried a low pressure shot. 18.5g in 40g out in 40s with 10s pi at 2 bar and then flat 6.4 bar throughout the shot and the grind just a touch coarser. This adds a bit of chocolate in my cup. :good:

Struggling a little bit with these, getting nutty funk and quite a thin mouthfeel. Will tweak a bit more.

Vesuvius, Monolith Conical, Feldgrind

I left the pf into the machime for about 30 min and machine was on. When I took it out I noticed a strong sweet chocolate / cocoa smell (just about to taste the puck lol). This is something different from what you smell if you take the pf out straight away. So, definitely is more chocolate in this coffee than I got with low pressure pull but how to extract it? Any ideea?

Flippin' Nora!!!!

Decided to experiment with this before I've even tried it. Just been out butchering my lawn (Mr BCS 730 came out to play and I've not got a lawn anymore.. Flattened, re-seeded and now watering it.. Blathered in sweat I needed a long drink..)

Cut down an AeroPress filter to fit in my pf basket, knocked the grind back to around V60 on the M3 and pulled a mugfull. (18g input, short pre-infuse, full pressure for around 100g extraction and line pressure for a further 200g.)

Don't know why, but when the smell of the beans hit me, I thought of curry..No idea if the chaff wasn't separated on purpose or not? The result in my mug was a very nice fruity brew (just finishing it now).

Tried a long black in comparison and it was more acidic, though the pour was slower than usual so I need to knock the grind back a bit I think. The grinds are quite pale so guesstimation on grind was a bit out in that respect. Both brew shot and long black were nice though. I'm thinking that the LSOL brotherhood have come up trumps this time (for my tastes anyway.) L&S are onto a winner here I think, and we're lucky to have it all to ourselves!

Input: 'Terranovered’ Versalab M3 + Mahlkonig EK43 Turkish burrs + Niche

Output: KVdW Speedster + V60 + AeroPress + Syphon + Bialetti Induction Moka Pot + Bialetti Mucka Express + jar of instant for visitors..

Very interesting method @Rhys. So you used your Speedster to do a pour over like drink. What that aeropress filter is doing? Is it slowing the pour down? How much time it took from start to finish? I have some kalita wave filters around. Would those filters do it?

Edit: did you tamp?

Very interesting method @Rhys. So you used your Speedster to do a pour over like drink. What that aeropress filter is doing? Is it slowing the pour down? How much time it took from start to finish? I have some kalita wave filters around. Would those filters do it?

Edit: did you tamp?

I saw a youtube vid of someone using an aeropress filter for espresso, probably to filter out any fines. I put it in to maybe build the pressure up a bit, so it didn't pee through.. Might try two filters next time.

@fatboyslim did a coffee-shot when he brought round his old EK43 a while ago, so I thought I'd try it with the Versalab. Came out a bit muddy, but very nice. I think I'll try it on line pressure next time throughout the shot next time (2 filters, courser grind and line pressure only.. Might vid it as well..)

Output: KVdW Speedster + V60 + AeroPress + Syphon + Bialetti Induction Moka Pot + Bialetti Mucka Express + jar of instant for visitors..

Back from holiday and thanks to the next door neighbour I have my beans. SSSSH to get through first though.

Home: Sage Dual Boiler, Probat EK43 & Feldgind

Work: Sage Dual Boiler & Niche Zero

[video=youtube_share;0xY-MCqY8_M]

There was a little bit of back pressure and a little ramp up to 1.5 bar or thereabouts from zero., as the Speedster got a bit excited (see its little 'thingy' stick put? :whistle: )

Results were still a little cloudy, though I'm not complaining as it's not a Syphon. Taste was mellow and moreish. Yumm :)

Very inventive! I'd not heard of peeps doing 'brewed on a machine' before.

___

Eat, drink and be merry

Rocket R58Ceado E37SAeropressAerGrind • Puck Puck cold brew widget • VST 18g basket • Torr Goldfinger 58.5 convex black Ti/walnut tamper • Torr Goldfinger 58.5 flat sharp edge tamper • Big bag o' beans • Triumph Street Triple 675R

Went waaay finer on the grind with much better results.

I’ve only just started mine. Definitely need to go finer than current setting. What ratio are we on for espresso?

Home - Nuova Simonelli MAC2000 V, La Pavoni, Compak e8, Niche Zero, IMS & VST baskets, IMS shower screen, skateboard torr, MildredM bar towels

@SkateReclaimCreate

1:2 for now. But I can’t tell you the time of the last shot that was nice cos the flippin screen died again!

I’ve only just started mine. Definitely need to go finer than current setting. What ratio are we on for espresso?
1:2.3 at the moment but going in to milk drinks.

Ive gone back to finer grind and may up the temperature again.

Extractions seem to take long time (45 secs plus 10 pre-wet) but it tastes great. It possible the new machine is flattering my recipe compared to the Silvia. Such a sweet shot.

1:2 for now. But I can’t tell you the time of the last shot that was nice cos the flippin screen died again!

Get the hammers out

Home - Nuova Simonelli MAC2000 V, La Pavoni, Compak e8, Niche Zero, IMS & VST baskets, IMS shower screen, skateboard torr, MildredM bar towels

@SkateReclaimCreate

I slackened the grinder a bit and went for a flat 9 bar w/o pre-infusion. It wasn't really flat 9 bar because the pid overshot with the ramp up reaching 10.4 bar and then dropping slowly to 9. Need to tweak the pid for this but anyway it wasn't as good as what I had during weekend with low pressure profile or slow ramp up profile.

1:2.3 at the moment but going in to milk drinks.

Ive gone back to finer grind and may up the temperature again.

Extractions seem to take long time (45 secs plus 10 pre-wet) but it tastes great. It possible the new machine is flattering my recipe compared to the Silvia. Such a sweet shot.

Might give that a try. Had it going at 1:2 at 27sec or so - but I was missing all the fruit notes that way. Tasted like tobacco.

I don’t normally go 18g - 40g in 40+ secs, but I’ll tighten it up and see how we go!

Nuova Simonelli Oscar II // Macap MXD //

Made a super-sized flattie in my travel mug thinking it would last me most of the morning but necked it on the commute! Too delicious.

I put the temp back up to 96 and slackened the grind a touch and although the blueberry is gone what's left is bright, chocolatey with a hint of redberry tartness shining through the milk.

Will probably lay off the espresso and move to filter once the last few shots are through the grinder.

Had one V60 at the weekend which was good but needed tweaking. Hows it going on that front? Is it only me that's lost the early blueberry hit?