fatboyslim

LSOL May/June - Long and Short Exclusive!!!

I'll be primarily drinking this as espresso I think, but I got a bit impatient after smelling it on my desk in the office all day. I have lots of beans left in the espresso hopper, so I dusted off my kalita wave and made a cup.

And I've got to say ... wow, this stuff tastes incredible. I'm not sure I've ever had anything quite like it. I would say very blueberry and fragrant?

Espresso: QM Rapida, Ceado E37S • Brewed: Kalita Wave, Sage SGP • Work: Aeropress, Feld2

Mine arrived today, roasted on the 30th, so a bit of a rest required yet.

Thanks both for arranging

John

Roasters: BB Dalian Amazon 1kg -Power contolled GeneCafe 101- 106Kg of greens - Tonino

Espresso: Londinium L2 - Gaggia G105 - Silvia v3 Mr.Shades PID'-d - Faema E92a2 (Project) - MyPressi Twist - VST baskets / Motta Europa (350/500/750ml) - Torr Ti 58.55 & Goldfinger flat 58.4 TiBlack, Pullman 51.4 - Acaia x2

Grinders: Flats: Compak R120 - NS Mythos plus Conics: Compak K10PB - Lido 3

Brewed: Behmor Brazen - Moccamaster KBGT471 - Aeropress - V60 - Cona model D - Clever - Mizudashi - 8-10 + 6 cup Chemex

Water: BWT Bestmax V Refrac: VST III

and a Puq Press not in a pear tree..

Got mine. It’s coming to work with me tomorrow for a proper test. Loving what I’m hearing on here though, sounds right up my street!

Anyone got a recommended feldgrind setting for pour over before I take a stab and risk wasting a cup?

Couldn't wait any longer after reading the glowing reports so figured I'd try a syphon. Somehow managed to choke it on a metal filter! Even so it tasted good but most definately haven't got the best out of it yet. Gonna will try again tomorrow with a more relaxed grind.

Laissez les bons temps rouler

Anyone not received their coffee by tomorrow please let me know

It sure is tasting good

I'm away so won't know until the weekend.

Home: Sage Dual Boiler, Probat EK43 & Feldgind

Work: Sage Dual Boiler & Niche Zero

I've opened them, covered the kitchen floor with chaff from shaking them, but not tried them yet. Will be delving into them in the next few days..

Input: 'Terranovered’ Versalab M3 + Mahlkonig EK43 Turkish burrs + Niche

Output: KVdW Speedster + V60 + AeroPress + Syphon + Bialetti Induction Moka Pot + Bialetti Mucka Express + jar of instant for visitors..

Got mine yesterday and brewed this up this morning using the kalita and AP filter method. First impressions: Deliciously fruity. I was tasting winey red grapes and florals. Lovely :) Going to push brew time to see try and increase the extraction. I suspect these beans won't last long ;)

Had a bit of a dud this morning. Ages to drain and a really uneven bed in the kalita.

Courser grind (3.2 on the field grind) and slowed down the water with the ap method, still took 4 mins to drain, but amazing result. Flavours in there that I haven't really come across before, but agree with @Elcee above that it might be wine red grapes...

Bit weak, possibly because it was course, so may need to tweak slightly, but lots of promise with this one. Another knock out coffee from L&S!

This is a knockout when it's cooled. Don't be tempted to sip too soon. It's thick and chewable...nom nom nom.

Also has anyone seen @Daren? He needs to pay up

You sound like my wife! Always after my wallet!!

All done - stand easy

This is a knockout when it's cooled. Don't be tempted to sip too soon. It's thick and chewable...nom nom nom.

Also has anyone seen @Daren? He needs to pay up

Rocket Giotto Evo, Mythos, Torr x 2, Rapha Chris King Tamper (coz they are cool), VST's, Hausgrind, Airgrind, Hario Slim, Chemex, Aeropress, Oomph, Puck Puck, Bialetti, Black Acaia scales, Acia Lunas,fresh beans

Blah Blah Blah - it makes coffee

Well this is by far the best coffee so far, that blueberry funk is addictive, I can’t leave it alone

Anyone tried this as espresso?

Sage DB; Mazzer Major; VST 15g, 18g & 20g Baskets;TORR Trapez & Perger Tamper

Yes just tried a few shots playing with my new grinder, tastes amazing!

I'm going to be crying when I finish this bag. :(

Espresso: QM Rapida, Ceado E37S • Brewed: Kalita Wave, Sage SGP • Work: Aeropress, Feld2

Yes just tried a few shots playing with my new grinder, tastes amazing!

I'm going to be crying when I finish this bag. :(

Is grind fine and long?

Tried an cheeky spro this morning. 18=>38g 30 secs. Could get a bit of booze but not dialled in properly.

19g -> 36g, 30s + 10s preinfusion on my lever

I think I could probably dial it in better, but still delicious

Sorry it's taken so long to respond - it's been rather hectic recently!

Glad people seem to be enjoying the coffee - we serve to please.

Our preference is for V60 and dialling back the coarseness as far as possible before hitting astringency/weakness - whichever descriptor you live by. Tetsu Kasuya's 4-6 Brewers Cup method is our choice, but I'd assume almost anything else should do the job too. Using an original Feldgrind at home, I *slight* updose 12.5g into 200g at 2.4. to be honest, 12g will be fine too, but I just like a little extra.

To be honest, this is my recipe for any great coffees and often find if I deviate much, it's more the fault of the coffee than the machine/Mano.

I won't comment on espresso since this is far too large a topic to tackle in regards to the expansive range of equipment people are likely to have... The long and the short of it, ahem, is that you should be able to get a great shot from it.

Enjoy!

Had a few morning flatties this week and this has settled down on a lovely blueberry note for now.

Region-wise, for me its like a mellow (and for me superior) version of a Guji I had recently although a bit if googley-woogley suggests a few naturals can go this way depending on the roast profile.

Hopefully try a v60 and some espressos at the weekend.

Big thanks to L&S. New roaster for me and definitely going to get again.

Had a few morning flatties this week and this has settled down on a lovely blueberry note for now.

Region-wise, for me its like a mellow (and for me superior) version of a Guji I had recently although a bit if googley-woogley suggests a few naturals can go this way depending on the roast profile.

Hopefully try a v60 and some espressos at the weekend.

Big thanks to L&S. New roaster for me and definitely going to get again.

Hope you're managing with having too much delicious coffee :D

Hope you're managing with having too much delicious coffee :D
Ha ha. Yes. My head tells me i have too much to drink while at their best but doubt I'll let any of this go after all!

Helped that the SSSSS is espresso friendly (at least within Mrs Vees eyes) unlike in previous months. Next challenge is to get her on the blueberry funk wagon!

I've left my beans to rest until now and taken them on holiday with aeropress and aergrind.

It's definitely different to what I'm used to. Sort of herby?

What recipe would be recommended as an aeropress starting point?

Sorry it's taken so long to respond - it's been rather hectic recently!

Glad people seem to be enjoying the coffee - we serve to please.

Our preference is for V60 and dialling back the coarseness as far as possible before hitting astringency/weakness - whichever descriptor you live by. Tetsu Kasuya's 4-6 Brewers Cup method is our choice, but I'd assume almost anything else should do the job too. Using an original Feldgrind at home, I *slight* updose 12.5g into 200g at 2.4. to be honest, 12g will be fine too, but I just like a little extra.

To be honest, this is my recipe for any great coffees and often find if I deviate much, it's more the fault of the coffee than the machine/Mano.

I won't comment on espresso since this is far too large a topic to tackle in regards to the expansive range of equipment people are likely to have... The long and the short of it, ahem, is that you should be able to get a great shot from it.

Enjoy!

I'll give this a go :) 2.4 on the feldgrind? I got a 4 minute brew in the kalita at 3.2 today, think I started at 2.6 and had a at least 5 if not 6 minutes at first... Maybe I have more learning/experimenting to do :) I leave the v60 at work, so I'll give that a go on Monday.

Based on the funky fruit and crazy long time to finish on a pourover I'm guessing natural Ethiopian I think... It's the closest I can match to anything I've had before. And I've never had this funky a brew from anything other than a natural Ethiopian!

My guess will be a natural Brazilian. Loving the sweetness that’s retained with the funk in a flat white.

I'm really enjoying this. Reminds me of a brilliant natural Panamanian I had from Dark Woods last year, so I'm going with Panama

ACS Minima, Motta Tamper, Naked Portafilter + 18g VST, Baratza Sette 270, Brewista Scales

Hario V60 (02), Hario Skerton, Aeropress, Porlex

I had an espresso before heading out to my sons 11th birthday party (paintballing)!!!

I’ve gone fine 18=> 45g 45 secs. I’m getting a bit of funk, sweet tartness with a bit of bitterness. I reckon these beans can offer more though.

Coarser could be the way forward, hows everyone else got on.