nattyj

Gaggia Baby Dose Electronic Card

I just had another failed attempt at repairing this machine. There are burn marks on the back of the electronic board, so it definitely needs a new one. Anyone happen to have one spare?

I just saw this on sale:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Gaggia-Baby-Motherboard/113883617672

He hasn't supplied the model number or any other info but looks fairly similar. Some of the components look a little different, and there is something missing on the left hand side, there two of them on mine. but only one here. As the product advertised on MrBean2cup is also compatible with the Baby Twin, perhaps the second one isn't necessary?

Will this work?

The missing parts are either going to be optional, or they got cost-reduced.  And slightly different looking parts aren't an issue, different batches will have different plastic blends by design or sheer happenstance. 

Does anything important plug into the JP1 connector? That appears to be the only difference between them. 

And I think you may have a bigger issue. Something is cooking the board, probably a bad solenoid or heater pulling too much current.

Gear:

Gaggia Baby 2001, Gaggia Color 2007, Delonghi Dedica, Severin grinder, Marcfi badged Compak K6 2004

Sent from my grinder using smoke signals.

Thanks for your reply.

I traced the two wires from JP1 and they both go to the power switch (as do lots of others).

As to the cause of the burnt board, I think this might be down to me. I bought the machine from ebay with assurances that it was in very good condition etc. Before using it, I thought I'd descale it. I can't remember to exact process now, but it stopped working after repeatedly pulling shots to flush clean water through the system. Perhaps I over did it?

Without seeing the board, has it been a dry joint that's over heated and caused burning to the continuity of it ?.

Jon.

One Life this is it, it's not a rehearsal so enjoy it best you can - Have some fun, buy a coffee machine.;)

ECM Synchronika - ECM V-Titan 64 Grinder - EXPOBAR MEGGACREM 2 Group - MAZZER Super Jolly grinder with doser -  AMIR Scales and they work fine - 15-18-20-22-25g VST Filter Baskets - Several MOTTA Jugs and a Home Made Knock Box. - Useful contributions from the Family.

I've attached a couple of pics. You can see the burn marks and my attempts to repair with solder. The blob of solder below the lowest burn was also I burnt joint, the new burn appeared after I powered it up to see if this had solved the problem.

Might be better to move this thread to another forum if a moderator can do this?

20200214_124733.jpg

20200214_123806.jpg

The top picture component side, the lower two R/H legs of the upper SS relay look to have a bridge of solder across them ?.

Jon. 

One Life this is it, it's not a rehearsal so enjoy it best you can - Have some fun, buy a coffee machine.;)

ECM Synchronika - ECM V-Titan 64 Grinder - EXPOBAR MEGGACREM 2 Group - MAZZER Super Jolly grinder with doser -  AMIR Scales and they work fine - 15-18-20-22-25g VST Filter Baskets - Several MOTTA Jugs and a Home Made Knock Box. - Useful contributions from the Family.

Sorry, not very technically minded, is the SS Relay the component labeled JQX ? I can't see any legs? Or did you mean the pair chip like things above them, with four pins on one side and three the other? In the picture it does look like there is a solder bridge between them, but I've had a close look at the board and it's just the way the light has caught it in the pic, there is no bridge between them.

It would have been better to flip the board for the lower shot so that the orientation was the same. In this case with the existing 1st photo by turning it over from the top - that way it's easier to see what is connected to what.

Fix? Maybe but I am having problems orientating the bits. It's a double sided board which can make fixing difficult. A first step might be to resolder the burnt joints. I'd do that by carefully scraping the green stuff off near to the joints and then bridging the solder over onto the cleaned area. Heat on the track last and just enough for the solder to wet out else the track may lift. A flux pen helps that.

If the track messes up it can be replaced with wire. Wire wrap wire is usually used (kinar) but in some cases anything could be used within reason.

Getting a duff part out can be easy but depends what it is.

;) I had work type work in my head then. Another option is self fluxing copper wire. solder one end, bend to shape, cut to length and solder the other end. The a dab of epoxy to make it stay there. More suitable for higher currents.

John

-

Edited by ajohn
  • Like 1

In Use Sage DB+IMS Shower Screen, Niche. Others Sage BE, Mazer Mini A,. Projects Little Gem, Gaggia M7D

SageBanner_v01.jpg.a45786743a4eb401969788b45ae7f893.jpg

SS  Solid State ...

We had a similar failure with the PCB in our (Old hat-Outdated) washing machine and typically,  yes  you still get the board from some suppliers at £100 plus and damn it you can get a very basic new machine for not deal more,  I could not locate any components in the UK and ended up buying from China in quantities of 10's,  however even with postage the price was well under a tenner and we could afford to wait.

De-soldering  sucker,  pointed nose pliers,  fine tipped soldering iron and thin gauge fluxed solder  are very handy,  the pliers for gripping the component legs as a heat sink to prevent  component damage

I enjoyed the challenge 😏  more interesting and less tasking than a crossword..

Jon.

Solder suckers can benefit from adding more solder first. They usually don't work that well if too little is there and that can often be the case. Desoldering braid can be useful for cleaning up after something has been removed. With modern boards a flux pen is always useful to have around for resoldering things. Best to find one that doesn't leave a corrosive residue - ideally.

John

-

In Use Sage DB+IMS Shower Screen, Niche. Others Sage BE, Mazer Mini A,. Projects Little Gem, Gaggia M7D

SageBanner_v01.jpg.a45786743a4eb401969788b45ae7f893.jpg

Thanks everyone for your time on this.

I think it will be more than a challenge for me to repair the actual board! I'm not very handy with tools (really, I have a medical condition known as dyspraxia), it was hard enough to get those two blobs of solder over the joints, let alone removing and replacing components. Also, I don't actually own a soldering iron, I borrowed one from work, but they didn't have a fine tip or flux pen etc. I can buy all this for about £14 on Amazon, but I can also buy the card that on sale on ebay for not much more than that (it's on at £20, but open to offers, so £15 maybe). That's if the board is compatible of course.... any more thoughts on that?

Try the ebay board.

Gear:

Gaggia Baby 2001, Gaggia Color 2007, Delonghi Dedica, Severin grinder, Marcfi badged Compak K6 2004

Sent from my grinder using smoke signals.

1 hour ago, allikat said:

Try the ebay board.

Yes, I'd go with that as well,  especially if it has a returns policy.

Jon.

Thanks. There's no returns policy, but I'll make him an offer.

• Like 1

The seller on ebay has posted some more pics of the board and the machine it came from, which looks to be from a similar vintage as mine, without the Dose buttons. The numbers on the back to the board are the same as on mine. Any thoughts before I make him an offer for it?

s-l1600 (6).jpg

s-l1600 (5).jpg

s-l1600 (4).jpg

s-l1600 (3).jpg

s-l1600 (2).jpg

s-l1600 (1).jpg

s-l1600.jpg

So I bought the card, connected it all up, fired up the machine and.... all seemed good until I pressed the water button. There was a loud pop and a flash from inside the machine, all the lights stared flashing. When I looked inside, the card had a huge burn mark on it!

I replaced with the original card, and now it doesn't start up at all. I think I'll have to sell it for spares.

• About
    Coffee Forums UK is the UK's premier coffee forum Started in June 2008 by Glenn Watson, we now have more than 24000 mainly UK based members, and welcome more than 3000 members and visitors from around the world each day! With strategic investment and digital expertise from the Jackson Lockhart team (Tait Pollack and Adam Bateman), we are taking Coffee Forums UK to the next level, and are delighted to share the journey with you.

New Members:
    We are often referred to as the friendliest forum on the web and we look forward to welcoming you onboard. Please read our Terms of Use.

Advertising

Coffee Forums Media Kit

Click Here To Buy Advertising Space 
    £100 p/m when paid yearly, up-to: 690000 banner impressions per month!

Donate / Sponsor

Click Here To Donate (big thank you!)

Get Your Supporter Badge Today (per year)

image.png