joey24dirt

Headquarters bunker upgrade - what the hell have I started!

Ok so this thread will hopefully serve to give me a kick up the arse when I lose faith and start slacking.

Bunker upgrade time. Light nights, warm weather, the kids old enough (ish) to go see Nanny and Grandad for a few hours. Put all this into a pot and stir it up and you come out with a large portion of motivation for me.

Currently I’m working out of a 80 year old shed that has more lean than the tower of Pisa. It’s set to fall down at any point and needs replacing. The plan is to relocate from the back yard, and dig a bunker into my bottom sloped garden as it’s useless as it is. Then we can level the garden up by using the bunker roof. Win win.

First step was to locate parts. One of my sites had an old welfare container sat doing nothing so I asked the question. Turns out that it was getting scrapped imminently and they were due to organise it’s removal. I quickly put a stop to that and said I would have it. Paid my mate Bod £50 to come down with his hiab truck and I bagged myself a 20ft container .....

10aa2303764b84023d7627c11a56298e.jpg

It looks a bit rough but it’s totally solid so with a bit of TLC (not the band) it will be fine.

Next job is site excavation. Luckily we have a mini digger so we’re able to take a lot of the hard slogging out of the equation.

First steps were test digging for pipes as we have water and gas in the vecinity.

902cc049a7b8e50e28680069b767734c.jpg

Once happy we gradually opened up the gap to the desired width. Even had mrs dirt getting on with the excavator

c4bdaaf8230a69c3304a7d3a0fdde0b5.jpg

And obviously my boys had to have a go..

32fb7402d3bc9c04044240dccee8656b.jpg

So this is as far as we have got..

b1c1dc14fe9d9fe216455692cc83fdd1.jpg

We need to relocate the steps to give us extra width and get a concrete pad down. Then we can start thinking about moving the container home, which is going to be a mammoth task.

To be continued......

Home - Nuova Simonelli MAC2000 V, Compak e8, IMS & VST baskets, IMS shower screen, skateboard torr, MildredM bar towels

@SkateReclaimCreate

Awesome idea! Good luck :good:

I came across this dude on YT a while back.

Sage DTP - Eureka Mignon MK2 - Motta tamper - Moka pot

Haha yes I’d heard about this. Mine isn’t quite as extreme unfortunately

Edited by joey24dirt

Home - Nuova Simonelli MAC2000 V, Compak e8, IMS & VST baskets, IMS shower screen, skateboard torr, MildredM bar towels

@SkateReclaimCreate

Looking good. :)

Bod? Not Bod Sutcliffe by any chance?

Input: 'Terranovered’ Versalab M3 + Mahlkonig EK43 Turkish burrs + Niche

Output: KVdW Speedster + V60 + AeroPress + Syphon + Bialetti Induction Moka Pot + Bialetti Mucka Express + jar of instant for visitors..

Looking good. :)

Bod? Not Bod Sutcliffe by any chance?

I don’t actually know his last name. Bald bloke?

@SkateReclaimCreate

Amazing! What a fantastic idea :) :)

Please, please keep the pics coming!

2019 L-R with hand turned Thuya burr handles and toggles / Monolith Titan Flat & Conical / HG-1 / Kalita wave / Stag kettle / OCD / Joey Skateboard Handle Pullman Big Step & matching stirrer tool / Wenge Handle Lev Tamp / Push Tamper / Puqpress / 15g & 18g vst / IMS 35μM / LDT / Barista Gear Titanium 340ml pitchers / LW Bean Cellars & Caddy / Decent thermometer / Acme Evo 150ml cups / Espazzola / Hottop / embroidered by me bar towels / in the cellars: North Star, Foundry, The Barn, HasBean, Coffee Compass / part-time LSOL participant / 6 gorgeous guineas / a dog / a very lovely husband / and a large array of coffee towels!

a>

Amazing! What a fantastic idea :) :)

Please, please keep the pics coming!

I’ll do my best. This thread will be a slow burn I think while I try to get to grips with all the other jobs i have to do

@SkateReclaimCreate

Bunker Bunker Bunker!!!!!

This will be ace!

Sage DB; Mazzer Major; VST 15g, 18g & 20g Baskets;TORR Trapez & Perger Tamper

That is going to be ace! Stroke of luck getting the container and knowing the right people with the right gear to help.

Mrs Dirt earning the name haha!

A mate of mine in Germany got one to use as a secure lock-up for their motorbikes. I don't envy you the project but I will be jealous of the result! Will be no mean feat but the ultimate shed. Men need sheds. You will have an armoured panic room... with coffee facilities I take it?

_______

Eat, drink and be merry

Rocket R58Ceado E37SAeropressAerGrind • Puck Puck cold brew widget • VST 18g basket • Torr Goldfinger 58.5 convex black Ti/walnut tamper • Torr Goldfinger 58.5 flat sharp edge tamper • Big bag o' beans • Triumph Street Triple 675R

That is going to be ace! Stroke of luck getting the container and knowing the right people with the right gear to help.

Mrs Dirt earning the name haha!

A mate of mine in Germany got one to use as a secure lock-up for their motorbikes. I don't envy you the project but I will be jealous of the result! Will be no mean feat but the ultimate shed. Men need sheds. You will have an armoured panic room... with coffee facilities I take it?

_______

Eat, drink and be merry

More than likely yes. Hardest part is getting it home. I live down a single track road. 100yds long with low slung trees, all with TPO’s on them. I have to chop the container up in order to get it down the lane, then reassemble

@SkateReclaimCreate

Bunker Bunker Bunker!!!!!

This will be ace!

Fingers crossed. When it’s done I’ll put on a forum tour haha

@SkateReclaimCreate

You know the other day when I said you seem a bit busy...

Vesuvius, Monolith Conical, Feldgrind

Great project but don't envy you the task of rebuilding the cabin. Or any of the other work, come to that

a grinder a lever and some beans

You know the other day when I said you seem a bit busy...

Haha yeah. I don’t think I know how to stop.

@SkateReclaimCreate

That's some project Joey!

Will be brilliant when finished but I don't envy the task ahead mate.

BTW - hope you put some barriers up on that drop; 'elf'n'safety and all that!!

Keep the photos coming...

:popcorn:

La Spaziale S1, Ceado E92, Feldgrind. Niche. Work - Gaggia Classic and BTC.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

A spot of Corten welding too. Is there nothing you won't do. You just need a BIG crane :D

They look like crap when rusty but they retain their strength.

Steel walls, warmed inside, cold outside = condensation. Gonna have to resolve that one with insulation.

I don't envy you the work that is needed but the space...... wow

A spot of Corten welding too. Is there nothing you won't do. You just need a BIG crane :D

They look like crap when rusty but they retain their strength.

Steel walls, warmed inside, cold outside = condensation. Gonna have to resolve that one with insulation.

I don't envy you the work that is needed but the space...... wow

Because it’s a welfare unit it has all the walls insulated already. Hopefully going to add a little wood stove but I’m a long way off that

@SkateReclaimCreate

That's some project Joey!

Will be brilliant when finished but I don't envy the task ahead mate.

BTW - hope you put some barriers up on that drop; 'elf'n'safety and all that!!

Keep the photos coming...

:popcorn:

I’d only fall over them when leaning on them. I work for the waterboard remember, it’s what we do

@SkateReclaimCreate

lot of room for coffee equipment :D :D

nice job looking forward to updates :good:

The peculiarity of espresso beverage is the simultaneous presence of three dispersed phases coexisting within a matrix, namely a concentrated solution of salts, acids, sugars, caffeine and many other hydrophilic substances. These phases are: an emulsion of oil droplets, a suspension of solid particles and an effervescence of gas bubbles, which evolves into a foam.

MildredM's towels, joey24dirt's tamper, Norvin's dosing ring, Portaspresso Rossa PG Air and HC-P, Kinu M68, Feld47 travel, Aergrind, Bellman steamer, IMS baskets, Hario Syphon TC3, Java Maestro dripper, Chemex, French press, Gnali & Zani moka pot, Bonavita kettle & scales, BWT Bestmax Premium

Are you planning on some kind of retaining wall & drainage for the inevitable rainwater soaking into the hill behind ir jus hoping the container wall will survive ok?

Laissez les bons temps rouler

Are you planning on some kind of retaining wall & drainage for the inevitable rainwater soaking into the hill behind ir jus hoping the container wall will survive ok?

Yeah got all that sort of thing in my head. Going to use the container to retain, not that it needs one as the ground is rock hard towards the bottom.

Took me and mrs dirt two hours digging this corner by hand a71c73bc6996e5581b81abf9e51f8a33.jpg

So yeah anyway protect the retaining side of the container against water. Then back fill with some gravel or something similar for drainage. Likely run some channels for it to soak into also. We have to be careful what we do as the bottom of our lane gets flooded easy. The land struggles to drain away.

@SkateReclaimCreate

Had these two for support again

20e0bd689f652dbbe4ae9e368fbc9f3d.jpg

And I think we need a new barrow

b85fcccf8d409d83cf6b493979d4bf8b.jpg

@SkateReclaimCreate

Because it’s a welfare unit it has all the walls insulated already. Hopefully going to add a little wood stove but I’m a long way off that

Do not forget ventilation for the stove / any heating.