I think there must several of us in the same situation. I have a Bianca "put aside" for me with BellaBarista so the choice may have been made for me. Just need to sell the Sage, seems like a quiet market at the moment for them second hand.

I enjoy my Bianca very much. However, there is one thing that worries me a little. Every time a solonoid valve switches on there is a rather violent metal noise from the switch clicking on and of. Even the whole machine shudders a little. My old Vivaldi valves made noises, but much less. Also I find the machine not very silent at all. Pump noise and I think some resonance.

Are other users having similar experiences?

I enjoy my Bianca very much. However, there is one thing that worries me a little. Every time a solonoid valve switches on there is a rather violent metal noise from the switch clicking on and of. Even the whole machine shudders a little. My old Vivaldi valves made noises, but much less. Also I find the machine not very silent at all. Pump noise and I think some resonance.

Are other users having similar experiences?[/quote

Mine is quieter than other machines that I've worked around. The pump and boilers are rubber damped and the wooden feet have rubber seating rings, which all helps. It's not plumbed in, so there's no associated "water hammer" as the solenoids open up on start.

I can sometimes hear a thump from the machine when the WEMO brings it on first thing in the morning. This would undoubtedly be louder if it was 3 bar hitting the pipework. On H.B. I see that Jim Schulman who is doing a long term Bianca review rates it as a quiet, smooth machine, but I'm not aware of how his Bianca is plumbed.

If Dave C picks up on this, he has more machine experience than most, in order to judge its relative noisiness.

I reduced the inlet pressure to 2 bar. This reduced the “water hammer” somewhat. Pump noise remains the same. Maybe, I should try out the machine in tankfeed operation to see if the noisy operation has to do with plumbing it in...

I reduced the inlet pressure to 2 bar. This reduced the “water hammer” somewhat. Pump noise remains the same. Maybe, I should try out the machine in tankfeed operation to see if the noisy operation has to do with plumbing it in...

That's a good idea. At least you are starting from a standard machine "experience" then and it certainly shouldn't be much louder than your old Vivaldi.

Is it sitting on a solid surface that's not prone to movement or sympathetic vibration? - I guess if it is the same place as your last machine that should be covered. Also you could verify maximum pump pressure during brewing or when the blind basket is in place - should be around 10-10.5 bar. maximum. This is easy to adjust if needed.

Problem solved. Only I don’t exactly know how or why. I disconnected the plumbing, I opened the casing and checked for lose connections or items touching, nothing obvious to be seen. Rebuilded everything. Surprise... no loud solenoid anymore and a softy whirring pump. Happy!

Hi! New and happy Bianca owner here. One thing (of many) I am wondering about is what the rest of you decided to do with the baskets that come with it. Did you stick with them or did you go down the VST route? For those who did: was there a significant difference?

Problem solved. Only I don’t exactly know how or why. I disconnected the plumbing, I opened the casing and checked for lose connections or items touching, nothing obvious to be seen. Rebuilded everything. Surprise... no loud solenoid anymore and a softy whirring pump. Happy!
Thanks for sharing that, I am tempted to do the same, as i think a simple disassemble and careful reassemble would improve thr quietness of my Bianca also.

Good news! Thats a classic result from disconnecting and reinstalling plumbing, if you have a partial airlock. Sounds like you have bled out or removed the airlock in the process. Your final comment also confirms that they are a quiet machine, as reviewed and that's certainly been my experience.

Hi! New and happy Bianca owner here. One thing (of many) I am wondering about is what the rest of you decided to do with the baskets that come with it. Did you stick with them or did you go down the VST route? For those who did: was there a significant difference?

I did some research on replacing the Lelit baskets, but after coming close to buying the set of Decent Espresso baskets, I was dissuaded by all the test work on baskets that Jim Shulman did, over on H-B. Summing up, unless you are particularly dedicated to light roasts only, you end up spending a large sum on three baskets and have to regularly swap them when changing to medium or dark roasts, when in fact the standard basket is a very good compromise. If you are dedicated largely to light roasts, then it could be a good swap. But they don't extract well outside of a narrow range of roast.

BTW, if you haven't read them already, his review of Bianca and the user experience thread on H-B re very useful.

I'll be interested to read about your experience with replacement baskets, if you go ahead.

Thanks a lot, Graham! I had read some of the posts on HB, but not all. Shall rectify that when I have the time and stay off the basket purchases in the mean.

It's a good value

The peculiarity of espresso beverage is the simultaneous presence of three dispersed phases coexisting within a matrix, namely a concentrated solution of salts, acids, sugars, caffeine and many other hydrophilic substances. These phases are: an emulsion of oil droplets, a suspension of solid particles and an effervescence of gas bubbles, which evolves into a foam.

MildredM's towels, joey24dirt's tamper, Norvin's dosing ring, Portaspresso Rossa PG Air and HC-P, Kinu M68, Feld47 travel, Aergrind, Bellman steamer, IMS baskets, Hario Syphon TC3, Java Maestro dripper, Chemex, French press, Gnali & Zani moka pot, Bonavita kettle & scales, BWT Bestmax Premium

These look to be selling like hotcakes at Bella Barista, they had 9 last week now they are down to only 2!

I am guilty for that, bought Bianca from Bella Barista Wednesday, very impressed with the machine it is a thing of beauty. Claudette was very helpful and showed me how to play with the machine.

Lelit Bianca, Niche Zero Black, Felicita Arc, IMS Competition.

It's a very nice machine.

I want to say big thank to you Dave as I firs came across Bianca and Lelit thanks to your review and your experience with the machine. I am very happy with it and it is such a great value for money..

We spoke with Claudette about the machine and I mentioned my interest for Lelit thanks to you and the forum. Claudette hold very high regards for you as well ;):good:

Lelit Bianca, Niche Zero Black, Felicita Arc, IMS Competition.

I want to say big thank to you Dave as I firs came across Bianca and Lelit thanks to your review and your experience with the machine. I am very happy with it and it is such a great value for money..

I think if the reviews get people asking the right questions, even if they don't buy the machine, it's a good thing. Sometimes my independent work with other companies does strain relations, but that's the nature of being independent and not an employee... It's also part of my value in a way.

ACS Vesuvius DBPP, Izzo Duetto DB, Minima DB, Lelit Bianca Prototype DB (paddle flow control) BTC Machines: Roasters: Amazon Dalian 1kg Drum Roaster, other failed roasters: Grinders: Ceado E92, Niche US and UK: 145kg assorted greens: My reviews at https://coffeeequipmentreviews.wordpress.com/

My Bianka has just been ordered. Hurry up only 1 left at BB.

:p

Deed done, Bianca sits in my van for the long (well 4 hours) journey home.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]38029[/ATTACH]

Still waiting in the box until I get back from a few days in the Lakes.

Edited by Teejay

Another new Bianca owner here.

Had been following it closely since it was announced as it filled many of my criteria: some form of control over the extraction process, use of mostly standard parts, not too deep (thanks to alternative tank placement), and rotary pump.

DaveC's review and other seemingly positive impressions read here and elsewhere helped me pulled the trigger.

I didn't think I would ever spend so much on an espresso machine (I should have known better as I have other hobbies...), but I'm 100% satisfied so far. I found it really well built with nice attention to details and nice finishing throughout. No bad surprise when unboxing I thought BB and Lelit's packaging were quite robust. Don't know if they've changed something since Dave's negative comments about this a few months ago or if I got lucky.

Performance-wise I can unfortunately only compare it to my Gaggia Classic. Paired with a Niche grinder the results I got from the first shot were better than 99% of what I could achieve with my former machine. I expected it to be more forgiving, but not that much!

I experimented a bit with flow control and couldn't help myself pulling shot after shot to see differences between profiles, and the effect depending on the beans and roast. I think I've barely scratched the surface. Definitely looking forward to playing again with it the next few days!

The only thing that didn't work so well for me is frothing milk. I think it's due to the machine being more powerful than what I'm used to. I end up heating the milk too much before I'm able to generate good foam. I'll work on my skills and hopefully will be able to get it right!

In short I can see myself using this machine for many many years, and foresee a huge espresso consumption increase in my future, so thanks to everyone who has provided feedback on this thread.

I experimented a bit with flow control and couldn't help myself pulling shot after shot to see differences between profiles, and the effect depending on the beans and roast. I think I've barely scratched the surface. Definitely looking forward to playing again with it the next few days!

The only thing that didn't work so well for me is frothing milk. I think it's due to the machine being more powerful than what I'm used to. I end up heating the milk too much before I'm able to generate good foam. I'll work on my skills and hopefully will be able to get it right!.

Yes, it can be difficult to know where to start with Bianca, but what you are describing seems to be a good place! Getting a roast that you like dialled in by using the "DaveC normalising shot" and moving from there without changing grind or dose is a good start.

I'll post a description in the next day or so of a shot that works well for Bianca, when used to develop a medium roast with profiling. I shared it with Bianca users on the H-B thread and it was well received and not too technically demanding.

Moving steaming technique on from a Gaggia Classic can be a challenge especially if you were using the Panarello wand. But starting with the single hole nozzle supplied with your Bianca and just having a short (1 or 2 seconds) turf with the wand tip just below the surface, works well to get going. Then just sink the tip a little deeper to get a quiet swirl going on and all will be well - micro foam!

I kept blowing milk out of my smaller pitchers on 130 degrees, so backed it off a bit (125 at first, now 126). That helped and the microfoam is quite amazing compared to my previous machines.

Which temperature for the steam boiler are you other Bianca owners using?

I kept blowing milk out of my smaller pitchers on 130 degrees, so backed it off a bit (125 at first, now 126). That helped and the microfoam is quite amazing compared to my previous machines.

Which temperature for the steam boiler are you other Bianca owners using?

If you had a DE1, you wouldn't have that problem at all ;)

ACS Vesuvius DBPP, Izzo Duetto DB, Minima DB, Lelit Bianca Prototype DB (paddle flow control) BTC Machines: Roasters: Amazon Dalian 1kg Drum Roaster, other failed roasters: Grinders: Ceado E92, Niche US and UK: 145kg assorted greens: My reviews at https://coffeeequipmentreviews.wordpress.com/