After being messed about with the courier, and a stressful few days, my package finally arrived albeit completely battered and with a massive hole in it. Thankfully, the machine doesn't appear to be damaged at all.

Initial impressions (before I've even had time to sample any shots!):

+ It's massive, it completely dwarves my Sage DTP and even my Casadio Enea (which I used to think was big!) It even feels bigger than Rob's Veloce mk1 - even though mine has a smaller boiler - could be imagining this though.

+ It feels really well built, and I think it looks damn sexy.

+ I'm definitely going to need to put it on a better table, this old ikea desk looks like it's struggling under the weight and it tips with the lever if I don't hold the portafilter (though the machine stays planted to the desk). It's less bad now that it's filled with water, but still.

+ The accessories seem a bit sparse, there's not even a cheap tamper to go with it. I had to buy the bottomless separately, hence the handle doesn't match the other ones. All the instructions were in Italian, so lets hope I'm doing this right!

Anyway, whilst it warms up for the first time, here are some pics. Apologies for the construction site that is my kitchen at the moment:

IMG_20180508_161404.jpg

IMG_20180508_171249.jpg

IMG_20180508_183321.jpg

IMG_20180508_183333.jpg

IMG_20180508_183402.jpg

Looking forward to starting my lever adventure and sharing it with you guys!

Espresso: QM Rapida, Ceado E37S • Brewed: Kalita Wave, Sage SGP • Work: Aeropress, Feld2

Looking good , with a rustic backdrop also . Hope you’ve got some good beans .

I provoked people by saying Flat burr grinders are far far better than conical ones 

looks great! the courriers are a real pita :p

The peculiarity of espresso beverage is the simultaneous presence of three dispersed phases coexisting within a matrix, namely a concentrated solution of salts, acids, sugars, caffeine and many other hydrophilic substances. These phases are: an emulsion of oil droplets, a suspension of solid particles and an effervescence of gas bubbles, which evolves into a foam.

MildredM's towels, joey24dirt's tamper, MaraXprofitec, Portaspresso Rossa PG Air, Niche Zero, Aergrind, IMS and VST baskets, Hario Syphon TC3, Java Maestro dripper, Chemex, French press, Gnali & Zani moka pot, Bonavita kettle & scales, modded Gene Cafe CBR 101, BWT Bestmax PREMIUM V

i kind of like the lath n plaster look...............wouldnt be out of place in some hipster cafe ;)

Gaggia Classic Chrome - Mignon Specialita 55

Congratulations :)

Don't worry about 'accessories', they are usually not worth bothering with anyway! And as for a bottomless, I bought mine separately too.

The machine AND wall look fab!

2019 L-R with hand turned Thuya burr handles and toggles  /  1998 La Pavoni with NickNak single hole steam wand tip, tamper and stand, portafilter stand  /  Monolith Titan MAX and something or other on order  / HG-1  /  Kalita wave  /  Stag kettle  /  OCD  /  Joey Skateboard Handle Pullman Big Step & matching stirrer  /  gold B Plus stirrer  /  Push Tamper  /  Puqpress  /  EPHQ 14g baskets & 15g & 18g vst  /  IMS 35μM  /  LDT  /  Barista Gear Titanium 12oz pitchers  /  LW Bean Cellars & Caddy  /  Decent thermometer  /  Acme Evo 150ml cups  /  Espazzola  /  Hottop  /  embroidered by me bar towels  /  coffee bar towel logo embroiderer to the hoi polloi  /  in the cellars: HasBean, North Star, Foundry, The Barn, Craft House sub  /  6 gorgeous guineas  /  a dog  /  a very lovely and understanding husband 

Towel Vendor / KafaTek and Londinium Fan

https://www.etsy.com/uk/shop/MildredsBarTowels

Recoup the cost of the machine by sticking with the industrial look. Sets the lever off a treat.

Haha I'm looking forward to getting the wall at the end of this month personally! It has grown on me a bit though ;)

Espresso: QM Rapida, Ceado E37S • Brewed: Kalita Wave, Sage SGP • Work: Aeropress, Feld2

Congratulations again - looking forward to reading about the progress!

Thank you Rob for all your help so far! :)

Just a quick update. Even though I'm currently stuck with a 53mm tamper and staling beans, the shots this thing produces taste way nicer than what my dtp was producing. I was blown away by my first shot, which i was expecting to be total crap given I had to tamp it like 20 times. It also seems far more forgiving to prep, my naked shots havent splattered anywhere yet...

My 15g VST arrived today, so I'll see what that's like vs the stock baskets.

I've started on a new bag of beans today, Origin San Fermin that's been rested for 10 days since roasting.

I really enjoyed these beans on my DTP before, but I've not yet been able to get any good results for this bean on my lever.

Here's a picture of the first shot, 15g -> 32g in 32 sec (timed from the first drips):

IMG_20180512_143114.jpg

As you can see, it looked very bubbly (does anybody know what causes this?) and overextracted.

The taste was actually not terrible, but was very dull and boring and definitely none of the tasting notes were present.

I coarsened up the grind a bit, and got this for my second shot again 15g -> 32g but now taking 28 sec (timed from the first drips):

IMG_20180512_144330.jpg

It looked a fair bit better, fewer bubbles (although there are still some) but the crema seemed very light.

The taste was more interesting this time, but far too sharp and acidic for my liking to be honest.

For both shots, the cremas disappeared alarmingly quickly.

I noticed that the puck had the shower screen imprinted to it. I went ahead and did a dummy tamped dose of 15g with a 5p coin on top and placed the portafilter into my group. Sure enough, the 5p was completely depressed into the coffee. I did the same again, but with 14g and this time I only got a very light impression of the coin. It would therefore seem that the stock shower screen sits quite low down?

I'm going to try and pull a shot with 14g of coffee next time and see how that one turns out.

Does anybody else have any ideas? Any ideas what might be causing the bubbling too and the fast disappearing crema - is it something I should be worried about?

Crema I really wouldn't be overly concerned with, its can be a function as much of the roast or type of bean.

The machine had has plenty of time to heat up though ?

Bubbles , could be channeling are using a naked or spouts ?

Acidic , how much coffee in weight are you making ?

I write a blog, it's nothing to do with coffee ...

https://rjwinc.wordpress.com

Instagram - rjw_inc

Crema I really wouldn't be overly concerned with, its can be a function as much of the roast or type of bean.

The machine had has plenty of time to heat up though ?

Bubbles , could be channeling are using a naked or spouts ?

Acidic , how much coffee in weight are you making ?

Thanks for your reply boots. Machine must have been on for about an hour at this point, everything was nice and hot. I'm using a naked portafilter at the moment, with a 15g vst. The shot looked mostly okay from the bottom, no dead spots or spraying although it was slightly off centre for the second shot. The dose:yield was 15:32g.

Thanks for your reply boots. Machine must have been on for about an hour at this point, everything was nice and hot. I'm using a naked portafilter at the moment, with a 15g vst. The shot looked mostly okay from the bottom, no dead spots or spraying although it was slightly off centre for the second shot. The dose:yield was 15:32g.

Bubbles in themselves arent a particular problem , could be the shot is hit? Just making bubbles as it hits the cup ?

The pstat is up to pressure?

I see your timing is from first drips so how much are you pre infusing , easier to denote time including pre infusion , you cold be up near 40 seconds total shot time ?

I write a blog, it's nothing to do with coffee ...

https://rjwinc.wordpress.com

Instagram - rjw_inc

I'm preinfusing 4-5sec and I think there's about 2 seconds before the first drops after raising the lever back up. I didn't actually read the pressure at the time but the manometer is showing 1.25 bar most of the time and the PID is showing 125/126. You're right, could just be the height distance between the cup and the bottom of the portafilter causing the bubbles - I might see if I can elevate the cup next time or use the spouted portafilter.

I moved my cup closer to the portafilter this time, no more bubbling. I've cut my dose to 14g and am getting much nicer shots again. However I might invest in an IMS shower screen which apparently sits slightly higher up.

Edited by khampal

Switched back to using the stock basket (and started using the Londinium whisk tool thing) and am getting really tasty results again. Probably helps that the beans taste amazing too - callums ukbc entry from Extract.

IMG_20180518_212202.jpg

Once I get used to the machine, I'll try the vst again - it's probably my technique

Edited by khampal

QM really know how to make a pretty machine, its looking great. I'd be very interested to know how bigger shot you can get from your machine. I have an original L1 with the same group. The largest shot possible is about 40g

Londinium 1, Pharos, Ceado e37s, Gene Cafe, Aerobie

Thanks :) The largest shot I've managed to get so far (accidentally) was 50g ish

a5d13d1f-ed4d-446f-afb4-d993ea54d711.jpg

It seems to vary a bit per machine, @rob177palmer has a veloce and isn't able to get a shot that big if I recall correctly. I'm not sure what causes the variation

Thanks :) The largest shot I've managed to get so far (accidentally) was 50g ish

[ATTACH=CONFIG]34346[/ATTACH]

It seems to vary a bit per machine, @rob177palmer has a veloce and isn't able to get a shot that big if I recall correctly. I'm not sure what causes the variation

Yep- I’m close to 40g maximum volume if I collect every drop.

Was more - closer to 50g - for the first few after greasing the seals. It has dropped back now tho.

I presume boiler pressure is relevant? Higher pressure will push more water into the group?

the group will fill almost instantly, I guess higher pressure would mean the puck would saturate quicker but not sure how much difference that would make. My boiler is currently set to 1.25 bar

I’m at 1.1bar in the cylinder.

Once the lever is cocked on mine there will be less pressure forcing the water into the chamber.

I wouldn’t be surprised if a higher pressure would introduce more water into the chamber so allowing a bigger shot.

I think the PID on the QM keeps the pressure high, whereas on an older L1 the pressure is controlled by a pressure stat which has a wide dead band, resulting in very low shot volumes if you pull a shot at the bottom of the cycle.

Londinium 1, Pharos, Ceado e37s, Gene Cafe, Aerobie