ATZ

Profitec Pro 800

Ok, so I'm picking this up on Saturday and yes, I'm excited.

Question for you the forum. As I understand it, the point of the group head on lever dipper machine like the Pro 800 is to act as a heat sink to reduce the temperature of the water that arrives directly from the boiler but too hot to brew without the group heat shedding. Therefore it follows on that the longer the water spends in the group head pre infusing, the more heat it will shed.

On that latter point am I right in thinking I'd want to keep pre-infusion time relatively short for lighter roasts to prevent heat loss? I guess you can also crank up the PID on these to ensure incoming water is as hot as possible.

@coffeechap any thoughts on my line of reasoning here?

Sage Duo Temp Pro and Mazzer Super Jolly (Doserless Mod) | Espresso Addict!

What’s the expected loss of temperature in a fairly heavy and warm group? It’s going to be similar to losing heat in the basket too, isn’t it? Smaller area, of course...

If you read long enough, you’ll find someone suggesting that declining pressure and temperature profile is what you want. Is it true? I’d rather sleep at night than think about it!

One of the issues with an original L1 is the tiny shot volumes - about 40g absolute max. This is due to the low pre infusion pressure. It will be interesting to see if the Profitec suffers from the same draw back.

Londinium 1, Pharos, Ceado e37s, Gene Cafe, Aerobie

One of the issues with an original L1 is the tiny shot volumes - about 40g absolute max. This is due to the low pre infusion pressure. It will be interesting to see if the Profitec suffers from the same draw back.

I wouldn't call 40g "a tiny shot" but I've read people getting up to 60g out. With the PID you can up boiler pressure quite easily on the Pro 800.

Just as an update on this I can get 60g out of my Pro 800 no problem, running the boiler at 1.1 bar or 121c on the PID

Just as an update on this I can get 60g out of my Pro 800 no problem, running the boiler at 1.1 bar or 121c on the PID

Thanks ATZ, very interesting. There is no way an L1 could achieve that, particularly at that boiler pressure. I can't explain it, but I suspect that its because the Pro is a dipper and the L1 a thermosyphon.

I can pull 1:3 shots with 18g VST on LR, which totals into 54g volume.

It’s close to the max volume, but there’s probably 5 or so grams left. I can give it a go, I guess!

I can pull 1:3 shots with 18g VST on LR, which totals into 54g volume.

It’s close to the max volume, but there’s probably 5 or so grams left. I can give it a go, I guess!

Out of interest is there any benefit to pulling longer ratio shots? I was under the impression the coffee woukd blonde.

Sometimes the best extraction ratios are longer it all depends on the coffee and the grinder

AKA Toffee chips

Accidental repeat post

So I gave the piston a first full service since picking this up. As you can see it was pretty cruddy and over lubed, don't think the previous owner had looked at it but it does explain the excess of lubricant that was on the shower screen when I got it.

I also took the opportunity to replace the stock rubber seals and shower screen with the Cafelat versions. Very impressed with the speed these were shipped from HK. The cafelat screen should, in theory, give a better distribution of water as the E61 deadspot has been taken out.

Cleaning up was the messy bit, very easy to install otherwise.69476dc71a00836a499963b209c508a5.jpgb66ee879aca009e4a2353454d19ecca0.jpgb84e7b1c47c03c68fe767b447943d3df.jpg4fd1763afe2994a4c982cc9fbbd8d706.jpg

How’s the portafilter gasket, if you got one?

How’s the portafilter gasket, if you got one?
It's a lot tighter, I'm sure there'll be some more give over time.

Thanks Aled. Might just order a set.

Interesting to see the double spring as well!

Thanks Aled. Might just order a set.

Interesting to see the double spring as well!

Service was really good from Cafelat, would recommend.

I've seen videos of people removing the double spring on these as apparently peak pressure is closer to 11-12bar rather than the 9 you get on single sprung Londinium.

ATZ, did your portafilter gasket wear in after a while? Mine feels supper grabby - from zero grip at 7:30 o’clock to fully locked at 7 o’clock!

It just feels kind of weird to have so little play. It’s been on only for two days and I can’t exactly remember how the original gasket progressed.

I've seen a secondhand pro 800 for sale at around £1k. Two years old - seems to have been well looked after.

Anything I should look out for? Is this a good price? I don't often see machines of this quality for sale nearby and I doubt I'd ever buy at full price so I'm really tempted!

Is this is as well-built as it lasts? It looks bomb-proof!

The sheer size and warm-up time put me off slightly but would love to hear thoughts from anyone who has experience with this machine.

Sorry for all the questions - just trying to make my own mind up before I begin trying to convince my wife!

Sav

I've seen a secondhand pro 800 for sale at around £1k. Two years old - seems to have been well looked after.

Anything I should look out for? Is this a good price? I don't often see machines of this quality for sale nearby and I doubt I'd ever buy at full price so I'm really tempted!

Is this is as well-built as it lasts? It looks bomb-proof!

The sheer size and warm-up time put me off slightly but would love to hear thoughts from anyone who has experience with this machine.

Sorry for all the questions - just trying to make my own mind up before I begin trying to convince my wife!

Sav

Most Lever machines of this quality go for around that money, there's a lot of engineering and quality components that have gone into them.

Less than half price at only 2 years old is pretty decent value if you think about it.

I can confirm I'm really impressed by the build. Mine is now approaching 2 years old and doesn't miss a beat. Key things are regular weekly cleaning and to clean/lub the piston around 12monthly. You might want to ask about this on the machine you're interested in.

My missus wasn't keen on the size either (there's a first haha!) But warm up times are easy to combat with a smart/wifi plug. I have mine set to come on at 5am pre morning shots and 4pm pre tea time coffee. Weekends it stays on all day.

Feel free to ask anything else @bigsav

Most Lever machines of this quality go for around that money, there's a lot of engineering and quality components that have gone into them.

Less than half price at only 2 years old is pretty decent value if you think about it.

I can confirm I'm really impressed by the build. Mine is now approaching 2 years old and doesn't miss a beat. Key things are regular weekly cleaning and to clean/lub the piston around 12monthly. You might want to ask about this on the machine you're interested in.

My missus wasn't keen on the size either (there's a first haha!) But warm up times are easy to combat with a smart/wifi plug. I have mine set to come on at 5am pre morning shots and 4pm pre tea time coffee. Weekends it stays on all day.

Feel free to ask anything else @bigsav

Thanks ATZ, that's good info!

I had been thinking about WiFi plugs to sort the long warm up time problem. Do you find leaving it on all day at the weekend is hard on electricity?

Could you measure the height with the lever in the up position? And if you had any photos of it in place it would be great to see how it fits in a kitchen!

Thanks,

Sav

Thanks ATZ, that's good info!

I had been thinking about WiFi plugs to sort the long warm up time problem. Do you find leaving it on all day at the weekend is hard on electricity?

Could you measure the height with the lever in the up position? And if you had any photos of it in place it would be great to see how it fits in a kitchen!

Thanks,

Sav

Once up to temperature it doesn't really expend all that much energy, certainly nothing significant that has left me querying something on my electricity bill.

Height to the op of the lever is 730mm, so Ideally you want it away from overhead cupboards to prevent conflict there.

You can see what my set up looks like here. I have it sitting adjacent to our breakfast bar.

I think you should get it it's a pretty good price for this great machine

The peculiarity of espresso beverage is the simultaneous presence of three dispersed phases coexisting within a matrix, namely a concentrated solution of salts, acids, sugars, caffeine and many other hydrophilic substances. These phases are: an emulsion of oil droplets, a suspension of solid particles and an effervescence of gas bubbles, which evolves into a foam.

MildredM's towels, joey24dirt's tamper, Norvin's dosing ring, Portaspresso Rossa PG Air and HC-P, Kinu M68, Feld47 travel, Aergrind, Bellman steamer, IMS baskets, Hario Syphon TC3, Java Maestro dripper, Chemex, French press, Gnali & Zani moka pot, Bonavita kettle & scales, BWT Bestmax Premium

Posted (edited)
I think you should get it it's a pretty good price for this great machine

It's really tempting! However, the seller seems to have stopped communicating so I don't know if it's still available.

I also don't have a good enough grinder at the minute and buying this would prevent any further coffee purchase for a while! My Wilfa Svart just wouldn't cut it on the Profitec so it could be a long road before I would really start to enjoy it!

And it's enormous so Mrs Sav may have an issue or two about it dominating the kitchen!

If nothing comes of the Profitec, I may hold off until the Londinium C becomes a reality.

Or get a nice refurbed La Pavoni Europiccola?

Too many options!

Thanks for the replies!

Sav

Edited by bigsav

You can see what my set up looks like here. I have it sitting adjacent to our breakfast bar.

I'm hoping to go for the Niche at some point soon too! It looks well beside the Profitec!

Thanks for your help!

Sav

On 05/05/2019 at 04:15, ATZ said:

I've seen a secondhand pro 800 for sale at around £1k. Two years old - seems to have been well looked after. Anything I should look out for? Is this a good price? I don't often see machines of this quality for sale nearby and I doubt I'd ever buy at full price so I'm really tempted! Is this is as well-built as it lasts? It looks bomb-proof! The sheer size and warm-up time put me off slightly but would love to hear thoughts from anyone who has experience with this machine. Sorry for all the questions - just trying to make my own mind up before I begin trying to convince my wife! Sav

Most Lever machines of this quality go for around that money, there's a lot of engineering and quality components that have gone into them. Less than half price at only 2 years old is pretty decent value if you think about it. I can confirm I'm really impressed by the build. Mine is now approaching 2 years old and doesn't miss a beat. Key things are regular weekly cleaning and to clean/lub the piston around 12monthly. You might want to ask about this on the machine you're interested in. My missus wasn't keen on the size either (there's a first haha!) But warm up times are easy to combat with a smart/wifi plug. I have mine set to come on at 5am pre morning shots and 4pm pre tea time coffee. Weekends it stays on all day. Feel free to ask anything else @bigsav

Had my Pro 800 for a year now. Love it. And the warm-up time (120 volts in the States) is about 20 minutes. Not bad compared to other machines I've had.

Had my Pro 800 for a year now. Love it. And the warm-up time (120 volts in the States) is about 20 minutes. Not bad compared to other machines I've had.

How long until the group gets to temperature? I doubt it’s 20 minutes.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk