ATZ

Profitec Pro 800

Anyone here using one? Or much experience with them?

Sage Duo Temp Pro and Mazzer Super Jolly (Doserless Mod) | Espresso Addict!

I guess the answer will be no, on here and for a good reason. Same price more or less as an LR.....the Londinium range are pretty much undisputed at the top end of the lever market. there are always alternates but are they as good? I think the profitec 800 is basically a dipper which means it draws its water straight from the boiler, so a bit like an HX you have to learn to control that element. Apart from that, it probably comes down to brand loyalty. I know BB had one on demo, and still do so that probably tells you something. On the plus side it is reduced to £2099 with warranty

https://www.bellabarista.co.uk/profitec-800-hand-lever-machine-with-pid-control.html

@dfk41 is there an idiots guide to dipper vs HX in a lever? What does the Londinium run?

It is similar price to the LR, granted. But 400 quid is a fair amount of coffee and it does have some nice engineering, an insulated boiler and a PID. I'm unsure of the utility of the latter on a lever mind.

My lever knowledge has not kept up to date with the new LR I am afraid. On the old L1, the boiler ran a thermosyphon loop through the group and back to the boiler which meant that water constantly circulated in it. This did away with the need for a cooling shot, in fact, quite the reverse as on occasion, the syphon stalled meaning a short pull was needed to increase the water temp.

The new LR works totally differently I think and am sure others will explain. The LR system does not need a pid though and really am not sure what purpose it fulfils on the 800. Go to BB if you can and have a play and if you declare the area in which you live I am sure a Londinium owner would only be too happy to show you their gear. There is no right or wrong in all of this. the only place that opinion matters in is a court of law!

There is lot of info over at the home barista forum, also few videos on YouTube (

is nice) , also there is the parts diagram available.

It is a traditional dipper with PID control.

I've had a chance to use it twice at a barista training centre for several hours, making around 50 drinks both times, with frothing milk. It worked like a charm, looks great and when plumbed in, its completely silent.

The coffee it made was great.

The peculiarity of espresso beverage is the simultaneous presence of three dispersed phases coexisting within a matrix, namely a concentrated solution of salts, acids, sugars, caffeine and many other hydrophilic substances. These phases are: an emulsion of oil droplets, a suspension of solid particles and an effervescence of gas bubbles, which evolves into a foam.

MildredM's towels, joey24dirt's tamper, Norvin's dosing ring, Portaspresso Rossa PG Air and HC-P, Kinu M68, Feld47 travel, Aergrind, Bellman steamer, IMS baskets, Hario Syphon TC3, Java Maestro dripper, Chemex, French press, Gnali & Zani moka pot, Bonavita kettle & scales, BWT Bestmax Premium

So thanks to the helpful @PPapa I'm actually picking one of these up in a few weeks.

Low usage from a small tea room with 6months of BB warranty remaining.

Has anyone any tips on operation? Any other pro 800 owners on here?4c7bd229810cf257a92901979aade9eb.jpg

Is it the same group as L-R? You might want to pick up 35um IMS shower screen.

Is it the same group as L-R? You might want to pick up 35um IMS shower screen.
Same group I believe? Or very very similar.

Yep, same group as the Bosco but a different approach to the Londinium 1 (originals) that controlled water temp via a thermosyphon

Yep, same group as the Bosco but a different approach to the Londinium 1 (originals) that controlled water temp via a thermosyphon
So because it's a straight dipper you would not want to run a cooling shot. Quite the opposite as the group provides some cooling due to its mass?

When I had a Bosco, I am fairly sure a cooling shot was needed. Does the water not just sit in the group as opposed to returning in a loop to the boiler. I am afraid I cannot remember but I am sure there are plenty who know more than me on this topic and will put me right

When I had a Bosco, I am fairly sure a cooling shot was needed. Does the water not just sit in the group as opposed to returning in a loop to the boiler. I am afraid I cannot remember but I am sure there are plenty who know more than me on this topic and will put me right
The Bosco has a little reservoir behind the group head prior to the boiler, where as the Pro 800 the boiler is connected direct to the group via the neck.

Learnt this via that HB link you put up and some sub links based off that.

Concerns seems to be it need a warming shot after significant time idlelling.

Would there be anyway to prevent or to pipe this water from the expansion valve away?

Not sure if interchangeable but on the Profitec 700 it is directed to the drip tray ..

Not sure why they didn’t do it on the 800

That’s annoying.... I used to own a P700 and, even though it was channel to just above the drip tray, the water would spray on the body instead. The paranoid me forged a little ptfe ornament to channel it into the drip tray so no water on the body.

Would there be anyway to prevent or to pipe this water from the expansion valve away?

It's not much before the pressure seals the valve but it would annoy me a bit too. Maybe fabricate a metal dish to catch it with a removable lid resting on top (to direct the spits but also so you can check the valves operation easily) would work? The heat from the boiler would evaporate it off.

Laissez les bons temps rouler

3 weeks until I pick one of these up. Is there anything you lever heads can recommend I need moving from a pump machine?

Ok, so I'm picking this up on Saturday and yes, I'm excited.

Question for you the forum. As I understand it, the point of the group head on lever dipper machine like the Pro 800 is to act as a heat sink to reduce the temperature of the water that arrives directly from the boiler but too hot to brew without the group heat shedding. Therefore it follows on that the longer the water spends in the group head pre infusing, the more heat it will shed.

On that latter point am I right in thinking I'd want to keep pre-infusion time relatively short for lighter roasts to prevent heat loss? I guess you can also crank up the PID on these to ensure incoming water is as hot as possible.

Thanks. That explains it well. Same arrangement as the Fracino Retro. Surprised by the suggested heat up time as the group looks to be directly bolted to the boiler.

John

-

In Use Sage DB+IMS Shower Screen, Niche. Profitec T64. Others Sage BE, Mazer Mini A, Ceado 37J. Projects Little Gem, Gaggia M7D

:pToo many filter baskets - maybe. For sale when I get round to it. Robur Elect, Ceado 37J, Ascaso i_1,Piccino

Thanks. That explains it well. Same arrangement as the Fracino Retro. Surprised by the suggested heat up time as the group looks to be directly bolted to the boiler.

John

-

It is, but the group weighs nearly 8kg so it's a lot of mass to warm up and it warms by conduction rather than a thermosyphon.

Sorry for lumping in far too late on what is now a completely ancillary issue, but won't the remaining BB warranty be voided since the machine was used in a commercial setting? Hopefully you never have to use it, but I like to point it out.

Beyond that, congrats on the new machine and I'll watch your learning curve with interest!

1973 La Pavoni ++ Niche Zero ++ Aeropress ++ V60

Coffee by the Casuals

Sorry for lumping in far too late on what is now a completely ancillary issue, but won't the remaining BB warranty be voided since the machine was used in a commercial setting? Hopefully you never have to use it, but I like to point it out.

Beyond that, congrats on the new machine and I'll watch your learning curve with interest!

Oh thanks!

Should I need to call in the warranty I'll cross that bridge when I come to it.