fatboyslim

LSOL April - Outpost Coffee Roasters [Nottingham]

I've had some luck in using the redelivery service on the Royal Mail website without the reference number on the card.

If you think the postie forgot or someone nabbed the card you can give it a go!

No card. Just a few bills. I will look at the Royal Mail website. Thanks for the idea.

I ask non-receivers to have a little bit more patience. Outpost have offered to replace any missing parcels via Dpd!

I ask non-receivers to have a little bit more patience. Outpost have offered to replace any missing parcels via Dpd!
RM don't consider 2nd class as lost until 10 working days after due date which is 3 working days after postage. It's got to a point with my local sorting office where I'm shocked if I receive anything in less than a week!

Laissez les bons temps rouler

It's a brew slurry! But it's an LSOL brew slurry so it's still on topic. First brew that went past 2:30! Acidity is low but flavour is.... Pudding!

dbd0a9cc870a5b8b157420b32c67ee52.jpg

Espresso attempts of this morning after a couple of chokers from previous bean's grind setting:

Ceado 5.3: 18-36.5 38s incl 6s pi . Had sweetness, bit bitter and a bit sour at same time, decent mouthfeel, bitter aftertaste tds: 9.39 EY: 19.73%

Ceado 5.3: 18-38.5 34s incl 6s pi. Marzipan & plum with bitterness . Low acidity, sourness subsided, decent mouthfeel, bit bitter aftertaste tds: 9.14 EY: 20.26%

Flavour was definitely better in the second shot, more balanced and more discernible flavours.

Are you finding a higher yield works best for this one or should I aim for a faster shot and keep a 1:2ish ratio? Pulled on LR so shot times are not necessarily comparable but hey ho :)

LR - EK43S; Ceado E37S; Aergrind; Comandante MK3 - Syphon & V60 - patience

I am away from home on business so going back to these tomorrow. Anyone else running this thru a V60 yet?

Mr LSOL - November offering here -> Clicky <-

Mine arrived today. I'm not home till Friday but it will be going straight in the v60 then!

Thanks as always for organising.

ACS Minima, Motta Tamper, Naked Portafilter + 18g VST, Baratza Sette 270, Brewista Scales

Hario V60 (02), Hario Skerton, Aeropress, Porlex

Will be starting on these tomorrow, lets hope they're rested enough.

What's the point...it'll only change soon!

Will be starting on these tomorrow, lets hope they're rested enough.

Me too

Sage DB; Mazzer Major; VST 15g, 18g & 20g Baskets;TORR Trapez & Perger Tamper

First try this morning. I ground at slightly finer than the usual espresso range.

18=>36g 55 secs lol!

Still a very drinkable shot. Dark choc slight bit of bitterness (which was probably due to the 55 sec shot) sweet red fruit glacé cherry, with a bit of nuttiness in there poss Almond.

All in all a bit like a black forest gateau. I’m going to try much coarser so these tasting notes are probably way off.

As others have said it seems a darker roast than the usual LSOL but so far really good.

Similar results as urbanpumpkin, I went with 18-38 in 35 secs, cherry and chocolaty, needed quite a fine grind, probably could benefit from a couple more days resting.

What's the point...it'll only change soon!

Struggling a little bit with this, my shots have been quite bitter. Maybe due to the fact it’s been hard to dial in properly with a one year old hanging off my leg, insisting she gets involved

Vesuvius, Monolith Conical, Feldgrind

Struggling a little bit with this, my shots have been quite bitter. Maybe due to the fact it’s been hard to dial in properly with a one year old hanging off my leg, insisting she gets involved
I'm having similar results (but without the leg problem)

Rocket Giotto Evo, Mythos, Torr x 2, Rapha Chris King Tamper (coz they are cool), VST's, Hausgrind, Airgrind, Hario Slim, Chemex, Aeropress, Oomph, Puck Puck, Bialetti, Black Acaia scales, Acia Lunas,fresh beans

Blah Blah Blah - it makes coffee

I am away from home on business so going back to these tomorrow. Anyone else running this thru a V60 yet?

Not v60 yet, but I've been trying kalita wave. Usually go for light beans, so still working this one out. First two were pretty bitter, but last one was getting there. Ground a bit courser than I started with a quicker time than usual. Will try a few more before I give any recipes because still wasn't quite what I hoped for.

One bonus though... Easiest bean to grind by hand that I've had in ages!

Of course she wants to get involved, a little mini-mmmatron barista in the making!!

2019 L-R with hand turned Thuya burr handles and toggles / 1998 La Pavoni with NickNak single hole steam wand tip  / Monolith Titan Conical & MAX  / HG-1 / Kalita wave / Stag kettle / OCD / Joey Skateboard Handle Pullman Big Step & matching stirrer /  gold B Plus stirrer / Wenge Handle Lev Tamp / Push Tamper / Puqpress / 15g & 18g vst / IMS 35μM / LDT / Barista Gear Titanium 12oz pitchers / LW Bean Cellars & Caddy / Decent thermometer / Acme Evo 150ml cups / Espazzola / Hottop / embroidered by me bar towels / coffee bar towel logo embroiderer to the hoi polloi  / in the cellars: Steampunk, North Star, Foundry, The Barn, HasBean, Coffee Compass / 6 gorgeous guineas / a dog / a very lovely and understanding husband 

Not v60 yet, but I've been trying kalita wave. Usually go for light beans, so still working this one out. First two were pretty bitter, but last one was getting there. Ground a bit courser than I started with a quicker time than usual. Will try a few more before I give any recipes because still wasn't quite what I hoped for.

One bonus though... Easiest bean to grind by hand that I've had in ages!

Still not feeling the love with these. Tried going a lot finer with no result I liked and I have tried a classic long immersion CCD which was not nice. I think these beans are not best for me and brewed and will most likely gift then now to someone else

Still not feeling the love with these. Tried going a lot finer with no result I liked and I have tried a classic long immersion CCD which was not nice. I think these beans are not best for me and brewed and will most likely gift then now to someone else

That is unfortunate. It could be that if they roasted multiple batches, one or more ended up a bit darker than others?

I would say this probably isn't a coffee I'd choose from their website by guessing what the descriptors might be.

I'm sure any constructive feedback would be appreciated by Outpost :D

Not sure what I can add that is constructive, they are definitely darker than normal LSOL, from reading above people seem to be feeling the love on the whole with espresso but for me they are on the edge of bitter for brewed. I tried to like them but I think I was trying to hard when I thought there was red currant there.

Don't get me wrong, 2 years of LSOL and they have all been belters, one batch i don't like does not ruin LSOL for me at all.

It looks rather like mine have been lost in the post.

It looks rather like mine have been lost in the post.
I'll inform outpost

I'm enjoying them. They do have a nice deep fruitiness.

I've done V60 (Rao method 13.5g : 225g) and aeropress both as a short brew and a 20 minute steep.

Looking forward to some espresso!

Best shot yet,

Ceado grind setting 5: 18g-39.8g 32s including 6s PI. nice pour.

Plum, cherry, marzipan, chocolate.

Smooth, low acidity, ever so slight bitterness on the aftertaste.

TDS 8.93 EY 20.46%.

I'll go longer tomorrow and see what happens.

LR - EK43S; Ceado E37S; Aergrind; Comandante MK3 - Syphon & V60 - patience

Similar for me. 18=>35g 38 secs. More orange notes and a bit more acidity.

Chocolate orange.

Chocolate, sticky fruits, I rather like it.

Went for 15.5g/35s/35g If you need to know it was a PuqPress 10kg tamp so I would say it was a fairly fine grind.

I think its it’s one of those beans that will get better as the days go on!

Thanks again for organising and giving us the chance to try something new :)

2019 L-R with hand turned Thuya burr handles and toggles / 1998 La Pavoni with NickNak single hole steam wand tip  / Monolith Titan Conical & MAX  / HG-1 / Kalita wave / Stag kettle / OCD / Joey Skateboard Handle Pullman Big Step & matching stirrer /  gold B Plus stirrer / Wenge Handle Lev Tamp / Push Tamper / Puqpress / 15g & 18g vst / IMS 35μM / LDT / Barista Gear Titanium 12oz pitchers / LW Bean Cellars & Caddy / Decent thermometer / Acme Evo 150ml cups / Espazzola / Hottop / embroidered by me bar towels / coffee bar towel logo embroiderer to the hoi polloi  / in the cellars: Steampunk, North Star, Foundry, The Barn, HasBean, Coffee Compass / 6 gorgeous guineas / a dog / a very lovely and understanding husband