IGNORED

Calling All Radio Listeners!

We tune in to the radio from the minute we wake up and listen throughout the day, we’ve done this for years. Radio 4 is our go to station but quite often nowadays we also listen to R4 Extra plus some R3 when there’s a particular thing we want to listen to. We listen at home, in the car, on our walks, in the bath, while we work!

I often want to jump up and down and shout 'did you hear this?’ to anyone who will listen! Well, today’s Afternoon Play was one of those programmes - written by and starring Francesca Martinez. It just 'worked' for me today. And then an added bonus following on from the play I was transported to Coventry, specifically the edgelands between the suburbs and the open countryside. It was the perfect accompaniment to my long walk this afternoon!

We have lots of regular listen-to's (Listen Again is a boon). Broadcasting House, for example, on Sunday morning is a haven of entertaining and informative radio.

What are your favourite 'listens' or 'did you hear this!’ programmes?

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I suspect they don't moan about the BBC, so much as the way it's funded. I'm all in favour of the BBC, just not the funding model. Perhaps I am odd, but It's hard to come to terms with paying for some

Nice discussion everyone, I enjoyed reading the comments after my post. I was merely showing gratitude for the excellent radio programming that BBC do. It is funny to me to see people arguing abo

Absolute Classic Rock all the way......they only have about 100 records so you do hear a few repeats but where else plays Hendrix, Floyd, Zepplin, Purple etc all day long! I did find a Russian station

Radio 4 all the way! Today, features, dramas and 'proper' sitcoms. A few hates, dreadful unfunny things in the 18:30 slot, Listening Allowed and Saturday Live. Also listen to R4 extra and iPlayer. Occasional excursions to R6 Music (Sunday mornings while the Archers omnibus is on if I've already heard all the episodes.

Rocket Giotto Evoluzione v2, Eureka Zenith 65E, Niche grinder, Pharos grinder with VoodooDaddy mods, Eureka MDL, Torr Goldfinger, Smart Tamp. Various coffee stuff.

Radio 2 - Pop Master....

If/when I listen to the radio (mainly in the car) it is basically Radio 2.

We re-tune to other random music stations if we don't like what's on.

For example - Lisa Tarbuck the most talentless, droning, annoying broadcaster ever....

or Elaine Paige the worst broadcaster since Lisa Tarbuck...

Radio 4 in the Am till either , john Humphrys the Archers or Thought for the day come on - makes me angry just thinking about them - feckin nutters....:dummy:

Then radio 6 all the way, particularly Radcliffe and Marconi in the afternoon - great music and not afraid to laugh at themselves

[video=youtube_share;cBFUPq0mvnU]

Edited by jimbojohn55

.... Well, today’s Afternoon Play was one of those programmes - written by and starring Francesca Martinez. It just 'worked' for me today.

I latched onto that play this afternoon, well after it had started waiting for my daughter at the dentists. I was quite disappointed when she came out so quick. I would say it was thick/rich and absolutely engaging. I would normally abandon hope of movie / production if I didn't catch the start.

Regular R4 listener, for several decades now after hearing a slightly older bloke than me listening on a Windermere campsite around the time Charles & Di tied the knot. Been hooked ever since. Sunday mornings are not good for me on there and I will switch to R5 as I only have analogue next to my bed.

With access to DAB downstairs I will occasionally dip into Absolute C rock on a Friday evening, which somehow reminds me of the much missed R1 DJ Tommy Vance

I'm a Radio 4 listener as well, but can't stand the Archers..

I wake up to it at 5am, listen to it on the way to work at 6, sit in my van until 8 with it on then listen to it on my way home.

Input: 'Terranovered’ Versalab M3  + Niche

Output: Slayer One Group + La Pavoni + V60 + AeroPress + Syphon + Bialetti Induction Moka Pot + Bialetti Mucka Express + jar of instant for visitors..

Yep R4 for me too. Only other station is World Service during the night, on which some very good stuff too! Is the news more in-depth on the radio? It's certainly less UK-centric on the radio.

I sometimes think I miss out on the news really. At 5pm R4 seems keen to impart all the goings on from Syria, which is extremely important obviously, but then they go off on some silly thing when they could have shared more UK news instead.

R4 this morning, bleuh. The Reunion, Woman's Hour (which can be decent, not today for me though), the 15 minute drama is ok this week. I didn’t like Ronnie Corbett first time round! It’s over to 4 Extra then :)

Really interesting to hear how many R4 listeners there are on the forum. I will give some of the other recommendations a go too.

^^^ I couldn't quite work out whether The Reunion this morning might just have been a fiction purporting to be reality - by presenting it as a documentary. Probably not, but when R4 presents poltergeist stories, it does make me wonder whether there might be something in it. I try to be open-minded. Ha ha as they say!

Edited by Banjoman
typo

I think many moons ago folks used to listen to Radio 1 (which is now crap), then they progress onto Radio 2.. Since then they matured and moved on to Radio 4. It's an age thing I guess.. Although I had to listen to R4 as a nipper as my mum listened to it.

At work we have a Makita DAB radio, but I never get it out of the van as my work mate insists on listening to 'oldie goldies' from his era. I could manage them for so long, with his comments of 'this is the best era, they don't make them like this any-more..' It was just the same old drivel repeated over and over again.. I didn't mind them on Radio 2 as they played other stiff as well, but non-stop 60's music was like water torture to me.. He hates Radio 4, says it's full of talking and boring stuff... So we compromise and leave the radio in the van :rolleyes:

Output: Slayer One Group + La Pavoni + V60 + AeroPress + Syphon + Bialetti Induction Moka Pot + Bialetti Mucka Express + jar of instant for visitors..

That takes me back to helping on new build doing a rewire - radio 2 was on for the 7-8 old farts on site - then occasionally they would spontaneously sing a line from some old random song each while working in different parts of the building - just out of the blue, as though they were singing a song in their head and a line slipped out, I think it was their way of marking their territory without pissing on something :act-up:

Absolute Classic Rock all the way......they only have about 100 records so you do hear a few repeats but where else plays Hendrix, Floyd, Zepplin, Purple etc all day long! I did find a Russian station on Tunein Radio that played Floyd 24 hours a day mind you.....must see if I can find it again!

• Like 1

Bye Bye...........come back when you have less time.........or better still, please do not bother

That takes me back to helping on new build doing a rewire - radio 2 was on for the 7-8 old farts on site - then occasionally they would spontaneously sing a line from some old random song each while working in different parts of the building - just out of the blue, as though they were singing a song in their head and a line slipped out, I think it was their way of marking their territory without pissing on something :act-up:

My work mate is like that. He sings the wrong words to songs which does my head in, and often repeats the same line of a song over and over again (like he doesn't know the rest..)

Absolute Classic Rock all the way......they only have about 100 records so you do hear a few repeats but where else plays Hendrix, Floyd, Zepplin, Purple etc all day long! I did find a Russian station on Tunein Radio that played Floyd 24 hours a day mind you.....must see if I can find it again!

Sounds like a good radio station :)