The Asgard

Coffee Puck sticking to shower screen

Hi Guys,

Anybody else suffer from the puck sticking to the shower screen when you remove the portafilter?

I ususally get this 50% of the time and it drives me nuts.... I’m assuming it’s to do with the suction when the valve does the business?

I have tried everything to minimise the issue. Using a 18gram shot with the standard double basket with an IMS shower screen. Tried different force tamping, twisting, varied the shot weight. Doesn’t make any difference really.

Any thoughts?

Rocket R58 V2, Mazzer Royal ( Ti Burrs ), 6 Cup Chemex, Ceramic 02 V60, 6 Cup Venus Moka. Bonavita Drip Scales & Temp Controlled Goose Neck Kettle

This normally happens to me if I don't leave enough gap for expansion of the puck, so to resolve (assuming a consistent weight in) I loosen off the portafilter by ten/twenty degrees or so. Whether you can do that may depend on the seal/gasket on your particular machine.

I agree the size of the gap (and the grind) play a role. I like the puck to raise enough so I see a small imprint, nor pronounced.

But also a clean grid , the underside of the grid is covered with sticky oils before cleaning with some crystals or pullycaf

The initial pressure at the beginning of extraction push on the puck, send the fines at the bottom. may be a too slow pressure raise is wrong ?

If it's a Sage DB it can happen where ever the top of the puck sits. It can be a bit mysterious. For instance I have run with the same bean, dose, shot time for a long time with no sticking. :) Tried a variation on prep and it's stuck twice on the trot. Difference a 3 wing levelling tool and levelling the grinds first with cocktail stick. Previously just a chisel type leveller before and nothing done to the grinds. Going on a few shots the main reason seems to be the use of the cocktail stick as the 3 wing on it's own didn't stick.

I use 13.5g. Get to 13.7 and it's likely to stick. 13.6 is ok. Drop it to 13 say 13.2 and it generally sticks.

The answer is a certain length of a press of the shot button. Say a couple of seconds.

If it is the  DB I am using an IMS screen as well. Not sure it helps with this problem and the thicker rim means some evidence of that can always be seen on the used puck.

This seems to be a problem with the model.

John

-

In Use Sage DB+IMS Shower Screen, Niche. Profitec T64. Others Sage BE, Mazer Mini A, Ceado 37J. Projects Little Gem, Gaggia M7D

:pToo many filter baskets - maybe. For sale when I get round to it. Robur Elect, Ceado 37J, Ascaso i_1,Piccino

People should really mention the machine when they ask questions like this. Another Sage. The BE, At some fill height they stick. Needs to be approached slowly. When that happens another 0.1g can stop it from happening.

Some one with an E61 machine. Sticks if the lever is moved too quickly to end the shot. ;) One report anyway.

John

-

In Use Sage DB+IMS Shower Screen, Niche. Profitec T64. Others Sage BE, Mazer Mini A, Ceado 37J. Projects Little Gem, Gaggia M7D

:pToo many filter baskets - maybe. For sale when I get round to it. Robur Elect, Ceado 37J, Ascaso i_1,Piccino