After finding lots of the resin beads in the bottom of my glass / kettle they sent a replacement filter. After a day of use it’s the exact same issue only this time it has the fishy smell too. 

Supposedly these newer filters were manufactured using a different process to avoid the issue happening. 

• Replies 480
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Came on 26th  

The Busy Little Men are busy on another job at present  

Do you have Little Scientist you can send in?🧐

Posted Images

After finding lots of the resin beads in the bottom of my glass / kettle they sent a replacement filter. After a day of use it’s the exact same issue only this time it has the fishy smell too. 
Supposedly these newer filters were manufactured using a different process to avoid the issue happening. 
Crap that is bad, fishy smell basically indicates that the filter needs changing, unless of course there's a different issue in the manufacturing process and the smell is there due to higher concentration of trymethlamine :/

I got my replacement filter today, only just primed it, so will take notes of tds / ph of filtered water now and keep logging how much water goes through it.
On 14/06/2020 at 21:15, the_partisan said:

I also wrote to them about the beads issue and now a replacement is on the way. I also started getting the fishy smell after about maybe 30 liters, far from the advertised 100L. The first 15-20L was good, but TDS is now upto 200 after filtering and I started to notice some scale in the kettle. I'll keep a more accurate log with the next filter so I can track the performance better.

How did you manage to get a replacement? I've been in touch with them last week and they asked for my address to send a new one. Gave it on Friday and haven't heard anything since, despite a follow up email. I'm now left with a filter leaking beads, passed it's "one month" best before, and no confidence of purchasing more as I'm not convinced the issue has actually been fixed based on others experiences with new filters.

Bit annoyed really. Not going to take it further but feel massively ripped off for my £50. Back to the BWT

2 hours ago, JoeBL said:

How did you manage to get a replacement? I've been in touch with them last week and they asked for my address to send a new one. Gave it on Friday and haven't heard anything since, despite a follow up email. I'm now left with a filter leaking beads, passed it's "one month" best before, and no confidence of purchasing more as I'm not convinced the issue has actually been fixed based on others experiences with new filters.

Bit annoyed really. Not going to take it further but feel massively ripped off for my £50. Back to the BWT

I got a pretty much instant response using Insta message. I am sure he will be pleased to replace that filter, speaking from my experience.

14 hours ago, JoeBL said:

They sent a me tracking number as reply to a mail to [email protected] It arrived a few days ago, seems much better sealed. I also asked about the fishy smell and they said this:

Yes, with the early filters, it seems that a very small amount of people with specific water composition triggers this 'fishy' smell. Humans are quite sensitive to this aroma at 5 parts per million. We have since added a specific resin making up 10% of the total that mitigates the trimethylamine that causes the smell. The filter coming your way has this resin in, so you shouldn't have this problem.

Just started to use the new filters now, and TDS doesn't seem as low as the old one (around 120 on 2nd fill after the flush), but will keep using it and also tracking how it progresses.

• 2 weeks later...

I've been tracking the TDS after each fill, each fill is about 1.2L-1.3L (filled directly from tap)

TDS without filtering 400-450ppm

On Hardest setting

1. Flush Fill - didn't measure
2. 122
3. 115
4. 67
5. 80
6. 112
7. 114 - at this point I already start to notice a little bit of scale on my pour over kettle
8. 115

Seems rather poor performance,  did anyone else try to measure this way?

What happened around 4 and 5? Seems like you changed settings there.

Other than that the numbers are consistent. Is that 0 bypass?

You will get scale with "ideal" brew water.

Edited by Rob1

I would also say that you are more likely to see performance drop off a cliff, rather than a gradual decline. As yet your Peak seems to still be performing, see how it is once you have 30l through it....I would imagine the performance will drop off dramatically shortly after.

ezgif.com-gif-maker(2).gif.e86a9bdd3d8e72977b9f1a858ca5b70d.gif  It's just a game and I beat it.

4 hours ago, the_partisan said:

7. 114 - at this point I already start to notice a little bit of scale on my pour over kettle

This surprises me as I’ve brewed 100+ litres of water in my newish pour over kettle @ 150 TDS (about 110 mag and the rest calcium) and it’s still shiny like new. Tbh I wasn’t expecting scale at those levels in an unpressurised container.

2 minutes ago, AJP80 said:

This surprises me as I’ve brewed 100+ litres of water in my newish pour over kettle @ 150 TDS (about 110 mag and the rest calcium) and it’s still shiny like new. Tbh I wasn’t expecting scale at those levels in an unpressurised container.

Not sure how you know what TDS relates to....but hardness doesn't cause scale by itself. You might get no scale at 200mg/l hardness & alkalinity 30mg/l and some scale at 100mg/l & 50mg/l alkalinity.

Hi Rob, yes I should have said, it’s home brew. So I add about 1.2 grams of epsom salts and 0.3 grams of Calcium Citrate to 4l of Osmio Zero RO water. General hardness is about 150 (minimum) unless I’ve messed up my maths. Alkalinity, I have no Idea (less than 50? I forget. Perhaps that was with bicarbonate instead of citrate. I have no idea how you calculate the alkalinity effect of citrate). I didn’t think alkalinity affected scaling beyond the weight of ions added with the carbonate (na)/ citrate (ca), but I’ve probably misunderstood your comment/ the science (the carbonate has to come from somewhere!).

What I think you’re saying is that you can get scale with a general hardness of 100mg/l or less even at temperatures at or below boiling. In which case I need to rethink my “no scale” home brew for my Sage brewer (which is affected by scales Very quickly).

Edited by AJP80
1 hour ago, AJP80 said:

Hi Rob, yes I should have said, it’s home brew. So I add about 1.2 grams of epsom salts and 0.3 grams of Calcium Citrate to 4l of Osmio Zero RO water. General hardness is about 150 (minimum) unless I’ve messed up my maths. Alkalinity, I have no Idea (less than 50? I forget. Perhaps that was with bicarbonate instead of citrate. I have no idea how you calculate the alkalinity effect of citrate). I didn’t think alkalinity affected scaling beyond the weight of ions added with the carbonate (na)/ citrate (ca), but I’ve probably misunderstood your comment/ the science (the carbonate has to come from somewhere!).

What I think you’re saying is that you can get scale with a general hardness of 100mg/l or less even at temperatures at or below boiling. In which case I need to rethink my “no scale” home brew for my Sage brewer (which is affected by scales Very quickly).

You need to know the alkalinity and general hardness to determine whether or not you'll see scale at various temperatures.

The Osmio already adds calcium and magnesium with ceramic balls doesn't it? Or can you run it without those filters in place? I'm not sure what else is added (I've probably been told at some point). Most people bump alkalinity up with bicarbonates of some kind. 

Hi Rob - yes the Osmio adds a little calcium and magnesium, although with a full tank inputting at a TDS of 280, I get just over a litre of output in the internal tank at a TDS of 8, so I suspect my mineralisation cartridge is spent. I don’t know what impact the RO process has on alkalinity but I suspect my starting alkalinity is half the general hardness, so about 4. I find I prefer the taste of brews made with citrate over bicarbonate - perhaps that’s why I don’t see any scale. Downside of citrate is (I believe) it goes off quite quickly - in this weather my gallon of brew water starts to smell after two days and  this is not something I’ve noticed using bicarbonate.

Anyway, I feel I have hijacked the thread a little so will back away now.

I've turned my dial from 4 to 5 just to see what would happen. Had to grind quite a bit finer for espresso, I expected less of a gap. Conversely had to coarsen my Chemex grind up a bit. Body has changed but I'm not sure how to describe it. Flavours seem a bit more intense. I'm going to stick with it for a bit but I can see why a bit of bypass is needed.

Central Scotland here so water is very soft. Tap water is 37ppm and filtered water is coming out at 24ppm (setting just below 2). I have put quite a lot of water through mine,  > 60l.

I ran some water through it on setting 4 and it came out 6ppm!

Also no smell of fish after a month of use.

However, I also have the bead issue. Didnt get a reply when I sent them an insta message...

Edited by Jimjam11
On 29/06/2020 at 14:18, DavecUK said:

I would also say that you are more likely to see performance drop off a cliff, rather than a gradual decline. As yet your Peak seems to still be performing, see how it is once you have 30l through it....I would imagine the performance will drop off dramatically shortly after.

Reporting back so after about 1 month of usage (I haven't counted how much water I used but hey ho)

I set it at 4.2 originally, got 3 german degree KH and 5 GH

Tested again today KH is about 4.5 (1st test 4 drop just on the edge of colour change, 2nd took 5), GH is like 5-6

Might go up a bit to control the buffer at 50ppm ish

On 10/07/2020 at 20:49, Jimjam11 said:

Central Scotland here so water is very soft. Tap water is 37ppm and filtered water is coming out at 24ppm (setting just below 2). I have put quite a lot of water through mine,  > 60l.

I ran some water through it on setting 4 and it came out 6ppm!

Also no smell of fish after a month of use.

However, I also have the bead issue. Didnt get a reply when I sent them an insta message...

ngl i have considered moving to scotland because of the water

• Like 1

I have been tracking the "non-fishy" filter a bit more now, and this is how it looks:

1. Flush
  2. 122
  3. 115
  4. 67
  5. 80
  6. 112
  7. 114 - start seeing scale in kettle
  8. 115
  9. 103
  10. 132
  11. 112
  12. 145
  13. 98
  14. 122
  15. 160
  16. 233
  17. 262

Each fill is about 1,2L, and ignoring the 1st one, that's <20L before I started to get quite high TDS reading, which works about £0.6/L, about 3x more expensive than bottled water. Numbers are not super consistent, not sure if it was due to some temperature variation, or just in general how fast water was going through, but at least it gives some general trends.

I've been getting fairly mixed results as well although I only check it every X fills:

After 15L: tds 144ppm ph 7.6

After 26L: tds 162ppm ph 6.9

After 32L: tds 138ppm ph 6.4

After 40L: tds 122ppm ph 6.4

No idea why suddenly tds started dropping. I can also see some resin beads in the bottom of the filter holder and get a nasty "wet mop" smell from the filter compartment. Taste wise it's been a mixed bag, early on brews were nice but I have a feeling that now it's gone worse.