• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Came on 26th  

The Busy Little Men are busy on another job at present  

Do you have Little Scientist you can send in?🧐

Posted Images

I *think* I have a ZeroWater jug that you can have if you can collect from Golders Green area (although it’ll only save you a tenner or so because most of the cost is in the cartridges). Cartridges are expensive but can be picked up from Amazon and one should last you for 40 litres or so (enough for espresso machine use until an Osmio arrives). As the name suggests, it’ll remove everything from the water, so you’ll have the faff of remineralising, before suffering the same fate as Peake Water (fish smell and resin balls) after about 40l.

let me know if you are interested and I’ll check if we still have it.

Andy

On 31/07/2020 at 14:41, AJP80 said:

I *think* I have a ZeroWater jug that you can have if you can collect from Golders Green area (although it’ll only save you a tenner or so because most of the cost is in the cartridges). Cartridges are expensive but can be picked up from Amazon and one should last you for 40 litres or so (enough for espresso machine use until an Osmio arrives). As the name suggests, it’ll remove everything from the water, so you’ll have the faff of remineralising, before suffering the same fate as Peake Water (fish smell and resin balls) after about 40l.

let me know if you are interested and I’ll check if we still have it.

Andy

Thanks for the offer.

I've just picked up a Brita filter as we needed one quite quickly for drinking water in the new flat.

Hopefully this will do until I get an Osmio Zero!

• 2 weeks later...

I also again started seeing something like sand in my kettle after a while. I sent them a mail while ago but no response. To me this seems like a really poor quality product that doesn't work like intended at all and should have never been released in this state. Back to using bottled water for now and looking to get a Claris Prime filter once my new kitchen is here. Only good thing to come out of this maybe that it will motivate a company like BWT or Brita to make a filter with a coffee-brewing focus.

Edited by the_partisan

The latest comment on the kickstarter and reply are interesting. "margin of error" on the test strips, with people reading them low? I was very surprised at the result mine gave me as we have very hard water. Just whacked it back up to 5 from 4 again based on that.  

With that said I am pleased with the taste and mouthfeel improvements. Another 4 filters arrived just over a week ago so 4 more to come. I also sent 2 off to be recycled, a bit of faff inputting information into the website for the label and further faff as the self checkout in the post office wouldn't scan the barcode and made me type it all in including the address. All I wanted was to print the label and chuck it in a postbox (If you use the box as suggested it's too big). 

I have a Peak sat here doing nothing and the amount of water I use the Osmio works out better for me and cheaper in the long run. And other crap, what part did I say it was better in my reply can't actually see it can you!!!!!

Edited by Jony

5 minutes ago, dsc said:

How is Osmio which produces water with 25ppm TDS better than Peak which can be used straight away without adding bicarb or some other crap?

Osmio/RO or Distillation is precise, repeatable and more economic? Peak seems variable from one fill to the next (sometimes significantly according to Partisan's data). You show yourself a increase in performance before a decline. Not sure how the reported TDS variance translates to an alkalinity and hardness variance.

Does the Peak filter out the "crap" like Chlorine, Chloride, Sulphate, Sodium, Fluoride, Nitrate, and other impurities?

I ended up with a fairly early production run Peak (mine was delivered early May or thereabouts) but it sat in a box. Unboxed it a month or two ago and it had a dodgy filter - leaking plastic balls into the jug in pretty large quantities, and didn't really fit. Peak swapped it out immediately and the new filter arrived one or two days later. Then things got busy, and I only tried it for the first time a few days ago. Filter seems fine but taste is not right - clear but dull, I'd say, so I'm not sure it's on the right setting (hot flavoured dishwater would be one description).

I've mostly avoided water chemistry to date, and started using volvic years ago on @MWJB 's "if you just want a single bottle then" recommendation alongside a plumbed-in BWT filter. I'm also jamming volvic in the machine on the basis that it doesn't scale too much.

But this Peak jug has thrown me a bit - it's probably time I looked into this properly, but it looks like Hendon's book Water for Coffee is out of print? So I guess a couple of questions:-

- Is there a neat summary of the relevant chemistry other than in Water for Coffee (e.g., a review paper, particularly comprehensive blog article etc)?

- The Peak jug seems to work using total alkalinity, is there a recommended way of testing that at home? Not sure how accurate the test strips are

I might leave the jug on the setting it's currently on and play with grind a bit, but so far it seems to have just added a(nother) moving target into my brewing

17 minutes ago, tambu said:

But this Peak jug has thrown me a bit - it's probably time I looked into this properly, but it looks like Hendon's book Water for Coffee is out of print? So I guess a couple of questions:-

- Is there a neat summary of the relevant chemistry other than in Water for Coffee (e.g., a review paper, particularly comprehensive blog article etc)?

- The Peak jug seems to work using total alkalinity, is there a recommended way of testing that at home? Not sure how accurate the test strips are

I might leave the jug on the setting it's currently on and play with grind a bit, but so far it seems to have just added a(nother) moving target into my brewing

Neat summary = aim for 40-60mg/L alkalinity as CaCO3 (or 50-75mg/L as bicarbonate on a water bottle label).

Test using the Peak test strips, or a KH drop kit from Amazon/aquarium supplies shop.

You can't fix water with grind. Grind changes extraction, water changes the taste/scaling potential. You wouldn't necessarily expect to extract significantly differently because you have changed an ingredient (water), but it will change the taste (lower alkalinity for brighter taste, higher alkalinity for attenuated alkalinity).

Thanks MWJB. I thought the hardness of the water impacted extraction rates as well. Need to find an old copy of Hendon's book 😂

I found the Peak test strip unsatisfactory. The colour continued to change very rapidly over the first 20 seconds, so picking the colour at 10s feels a bit like it's got a big error bar on it. I'm not entirely sure I trust my colour perception either tbh. And there's only two in the box, not sure where to get more. Perhaps they'll send out more with next filter.

Will look at a KH drop kit; these Red Sea ones look OK - found one that does pH and KH

What setting is your peak on? I was using Volvic for the same reasons as you and noticed an improvement, and also had issues with the test strips. If you look at the latest comment on the nonstarter it's noted by Maxwell the test strip results aren't great. The manual suggests dialling a bit lower if you use lighter roasts IIRC, whilst La Cabra recommend setting it to he max for their roasts.

I've been alternating between 4 and 5 and not sure which I like best. I definitely prefer it to volvic and get more clarity but feel I'm lacking something with some coffees. 

2 hours ago, tambu said:

Thanks MWJB. I thought the hardness of the water impacted extraction rates as well. Need to find an old copy of Hendon's book 😂

I found the Peak test strip unsatisfactory. The colour continued to change very rapidly over the first 20 seconds, so picking the colour at 10s feels a bit like it's got a big error bar on it. I'm not entirely sure I trust my colour perception either tbh. And there's only two in the box, not sure where to get more. Perhaps they'll send out more with next filter.

Will look at a KH drop kit; these Red Sea ones look OK - found one that does pH and KH

Hendon has agreed, since the book, that water does not impact measurable extraction.

If you're looking for a quick guide, the book is not for you. It goes into depth but doesn't really have any new insights. The authors thought it did, but there were errors in their method.

• Thanks 1
20 hours ago, tambu said:

I ended up with a fairly early production run Peak (mine was delivered early May or thereabouts) but it sat in a box. Unboxed it a month or two ago and it had a dodgy filter - leaking plastic balls into the jug in pretty large quantities, and didn't really fit. Peak swapped it out immediately and the new filter arrived one or two days later. Then things got busy, and I only tried it for the first time a few days ago. Filter seems fine but taste is not right - clear but dull, I'd say, so I'm not sure it's on the right setting (hot flavoured dishwater would be one description).

I've mostly avoided water chemistry to date, and started using volvic years ago on @MWJB 's "if you just want a single bottle then" recommendation alongside a plumbed-in BWT filter. I'm also jamming volvic in the machine on the basis that it doesn't scale too much.

I came across the SCAE's water chart document, which explains some of the chemistry and features the recommendations from Water for Coffee prominently. It's obviously much shorter than Water for Coffee, but it seems very practical.

• Like 1
On 22/07/2020 at 15:53, the_partisan said:

I have been tracking the "non-fishy" filter a bit more now, and this is how it looks:

1. Flush
  2. 122
  3. 115
  4. 67
  5. 80
  6. 112
  7. 114 - start seeing scale in kettle
  8. 115
  9. 103
  10. 132
  11. 112
  12. 145
  13. 98
  14. 122
  15. 160
  16. 233
  17. 262

Each fill is about 1,2L, and ignoring the 1st one, that's <20L before I started to get quite high TDS reading, which works about £0.6/L, about 3x more expensive than bottled water. Numbers are not super consistent, not sure if it was due to some temperature variation, or just in general how fast water was going through, but at least it gives some general trends.

That corresponds to my finding, it’s not much more reliable than a Brita, and after around 20l the filter turns useless with my water. 

your filter definitely “died” at filtration 15. 

I won’t be buying a single filter again, as it is not consistent enough. Just have to find a new RO solution as the one I have is not manufactured anymore.

This is not a great product, I have to say. My replacement filter - as the first leaked little balls on the first flush - is now also leaking balls, after about 5 refills. Not great. There's also huge variability in the test strips - I used the last one I had and it indicates I should be around setting 3 now (was 4-4.2 on the last I did). I find this a bit hard to believe as the local water report is ~290mg/L total hardness, so total alkalinity would have to be less than half total hardness. Perhaps the strip was faulty as it was left in the (opened) wrapping for a bit (but in the box in the dark, so not sure if it would degrade). Getting a KH test kit would resolve that but with all the plastic balls leaking out the filter I'm not sure there's any point.

Edited by tambu
On 25/08/2020 at 10:26, malling said:

That corresponds to my finding, it’s not much more reliable than a Brita, and after around 20l the filter turns useless with my water. 

your filter definitely “died” at filtration 15. 

I won’t be buying a single filter again, as it is not consistent enough. Just have to find a new RO solution as the one I have is not manufactured anymore.

I heard good things about BWT Roc but it's on the large side. I might end up getting the Claris Prime, it's not perfect, but at least should be consistent. Another option is something like Osmio Zero.

Edited by the_partisan