Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Came on 26th  

The Busy Little Men are busy on another job at present  

Do you have Little Scientist you can send in?🧐

Posted Images

29 minutes ago, aaronb said:

Is it meant to let a tiny amount through even in the hardest setting? 

Email them, post on the kickstarter, keep hassling them.

I emailed them asking about the lid and they said to test it by setting to HARD, and if there's no bypass water then it''s set correctly

Well, it isn't

Then I saw the groove at the bottom of the filter and I'm sure it has slotted in, because there's nowhere else for the filter to go?

I don't know where the thing is leaking from tbh

2 hours ago, StusBrews said:

I have the same to be fair...if I lift the blue compartment out whilst it is filtering, is see a drop of water come out the bypass hole every 5 or so seconds. Is this comparable to what you are seeing @Neo?

I wish it is a minimal amount...

i thought i was being overly dramatic because maybe 10-20% water was comes out of that hole at first, but then as more water is added, as i feared i'd say 80-90% comes out of the bypass hole - that can't be right.
i sent my query to peak again hoping they'd help me out 🙁

p.s: I have made sure I at least hear a little click when I push the filter in...

Edited by Neo
7 hours ago, Neo said:

I wish it is a minimal amount...

i thought i was being overly dramatic because maybe 10-20% water was comes out of that hole at first, but then as more water is added, as i feared i'd say 80-90% comes out of the bypass hole - that can't be right.
i sent my query to peak again hoping they'd help me out 🙁

p.s: I have made sure I at least hear a little click when I push the filter in...

When you look inside the top water chamber, can you see that the bypass hole is clearly closed off when you have the dial in the HARD position?

I know some folks have received their peaks with the dial detached. If the dial is not re-attached in the correct position, then one might not be truly at the HARD setting and the bypass hole could be fully open!

6 hours ago, StusBrews said:

When you look inside the top water chamber, can you see that the bypass hole is clearly closed off when you have the dial in the HARD position?

I know some folks have received their peaks with the dial detached. If the dial is not re-attached in the correct position, then one might not be truly at the HARD setting and the bypass hole could be fully open!

It does look closed to me...even if it's mildly mismatched, it won't explain the amount of water coming out of bypass

besides mine wasn't detached,sigh

10 hours ago, aaronb said:

I wonder if the filter itself is defective? 

Very frustrating and annoying. 

seems like they didn;t receive my reply emails..3rd time's a charm?

Talking about smells now. Mine smells odd when I stick my nose in before I refill it. I can smell the chlorine smell of tap water plus this other smell. It isn’t very nice really. I am only using mine for the kettle to check there isn’t going to be any scale.

25 minutes ago, Rob1 said:

The kettle is a pretty poor indicator.

Has anyone tested the water with a GH:KH drop kit yet?

Compared to Brita it isn’t, not for me anyway :)

La Cabra made a post on their Instagram about how they measure the PPM and are actually turning the dial higher not lower like Maxwell suggests to get the best out of their coffees. 

I know nothing about these numbers - how can I measure the PPM of my water and / or obtain more of the right kind test strips? I'm not convinced I'm on the right setting for my water anyway. 

Thanks. 

PPM is mg/l.

Your water contains ions measured as mg/l  e.g Calcium and Magnesium might be 20 mg/l and 5 mg/l respectively. Bicarbonates are also measured in mg/l. If you know the PPM of Calcium, Magnesium, and Bicarbonate then with a bit of arithmetic you can find out the PPM Hardness as CaCO3 and Alkalinity as CaCO3 which you can use to determine scaling potential.

A GH:KH drop kit will tell you the alkalinity and hardness in mg/l but not ion ppm. There might be specific test kits for different ions. I think there are aquarium test strips that measure calcium, magnesium, sodium, lead and other things.

• Thanks 1
10 hours ago, aaronb said:

La Cabra made a post on their Instagram about how they measure the PPM and are actually turning the dial higher not lower like Maxwell suggests to get the best out of their coffees. 

I know nothing about these numbers - how can I measure the PPM of my water and / or obtain more of the right kind test strips? I'm not convinced I'm on the right setting for my water anyway. 

Thanks. 

@aaronb I purchased an API GH and KH test kit of Amazon for just shy of £10. Would be worth getting a syringe too for accurate dosage of water into the test vial.

In terms of the Alkalinity (KH) in my tap water, the test strips were putting it at about 180ppm. The API test kit was reading a higher KH of around 220ppm. So that meant I had to dial my Peak in higher (i.e. less bypass) compared to the setting the test strip recommended.

I re-test the treated water periodically with the API kit and I'm hitting around 40-50ppm KH

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
8 hours ago, StusBrews said:

@aaronb I purchased an API GH and KH test kit of Amazon for just shy of £10. Would be worth getting a syringe too for accurate dosage of water into the test vial.

In terms of the Alkalinity (KH) in my tap water, the test strips were putting it at about 180ppm. The API test kit was reading a higher KH of around 220ppm. So that meant I had to dial my Peak in higher (i.e. less bypass) compared to the setting the test strip recommended.

I re-test the treated water periodically with the API kit and I'm hitting around 40-50ppm KH

Does the coffee taste any better? 

Can you link to the one you bought?