Anyone noticed any weird smells from their boiled Peak water? Mine was fine early on but now whenever I boil the water from the Peak it smells of fish :/ like, the whole kitchen smells of it. Cold is fine, no odd smells, but boiled is fishy as hell, no idea what it might be.

T.

• Replies 480
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Came on 26th  

The Busy Little Men are busy on another job at present  

Do you have Little Scientist you can send in?🧐

Posted Images

53 minutes ago, dsc said:

Anyone noticed any weird smells from their boiled Peak water? Mine was fine early on but now whenever I boil the water from the Peak it smells of fish 😕 like, the whole kitchen smells of it. Cold is fine, no odd smells, but boiled is fishy as hell, no idea what it might be.

T.

Hey @dsc

That fishy smell is indicative of a spent filter. I've had the same issue with my first filter after only putting approximately 25-30 litres of water through it at around 4.1 on the dial. If you are able to test your water, you'll probably also notice that it's performance has dropped off a cliff.

I reported the issue and was sent a replacement which did exactly the same at around 25-30 litres.

After providing further feedback, I've been given another replacement filter that has a tweaked resin mix and will be keeping an eye on its performance. Although I am slightly surprised that I was getting the issue from the start seeing as I live in the same town as water treatment company who mix the resin and load it into the filters 😁

• Like 1

@StusBrews damn, that's pretty bad. I've not even thought of checking the water as I barely got 30l through it :/ I've dropped Maxwell an email an hour or so ago, but I reckon I'll be getting a new filter based on what you've said. Off to check what the filtered water TDS is...

25-30 litres sounds like a lot to me. How long are these things supposed to last?

EDIT: Just checked how long zero filters last so looks like I'm wrong (unless your water is really hard). 

Edited by Rob1
6 minutes ago, Rob1 said:

25-30 litres sounds like a lot to me. How long are these things supposed to last?

I would hope more than this. It’s £25 for two filters so at £12.50 for a filter if it did only 25 litres that’s 50p a litre. Compare that to around 20p a litre for Tesco Ashbeck that would be incredibly expensive. 

BWT should last up to 150l I think, but with my 260ppm TDS water they give up at around 100l.

Just checked and the Peak gives water which is 185ppm, so still fairly legit. Cold water from it now also started to stink of fish...Checked the bottom of the jug and only found a few tiny black balls, so I think the filter is whole at least.

Seems like zerowater filters also suffer from the fishy smell issue. Plenty of instances on the internet. On the lakeland site this was posted by either the Lakeland team or more likely Zerowater.

A note from the team

We're sorry to hear of your disappointment. Once the TDS meter reads more than 006 it’s time to change it. In areas where the water has particularly high dissolved solids you may need to change your filter every two weeks. The smell is caused by the ion exchange in the filter which decreases the pH of the water and means your filter is overdue a change. For more information you can visit this website: https://zerowater.co.uk/pages/how-long-will-my-filter-last We've been in touch to offer you a full refund and hope this helps to explain.

https://www.lakeland.co.uk/73247/ZeroWater 5-Stage Water Filter Jug with Free TDS Meter 1.7L/all-reviews

Really sounds like the filters may need to be changed a lot more often than people were expecting!

Nothing here...

I have recently been researching to ion exchange resin... you know, the stuff the window cleaning people use to clean the water.

1 litre of resin will saturate pretty quickly in hard water areas...

https://www.grippatank.co.uk/resin_calculator

I does make me wonder how long a Brita filter or the Zero water really last, given the amount of resin in those filters.

Current: Lelit Elizabeth / Niche Zero / VST baskets / Distilled water + 100mg NaCO3/L

Previous: Gaggia Classic | Eureka Mignon | Rocket Cellini Evo | Profitec 700 | Profitec T-64 | Gene Cafe CBR-101 | Kinu M68 | Feldgrind 2 | La Pavoni Europiccola 2012

Also at: CoffeeTime Forum & Niche Zero Owners Group

Got a reply from Maxwell:

"That fish smell is trymethlamine which is a compound used in strong base resins and is noticeable at the end of life of filters. "

So yes, the filter seems to be at the end of it's life. I've thought some more re how much water I pushed through it and it's probably closer to 50l. If every filter is like this I'll either have to have less coffee made using water from the Peak or give it up altogether :/

Their goal was to produce 100l filtered water on the hardest setting according to their FAQ. I assume the hardest setting = maximum bypass? It seems it would be hugely dependent on water quality going in anyway....

They advertised approx 10p per litre on their kickstarter campaign. If they are unable to get even close to this figure with an average water spec filtered to a more ideal target they should really reduce the cost of the filters to make it possible. 

• Like 2

Btw what is the cost of a new filter?

Our tap water is 265ppm / 7.2ph (no idea on other parameters need to order a kit) which is high but not yet liquid rock imho. I'm running the Peak at setting 4 even though the strip test indicated that I should be using 3, but Maxwell suggested those are typically low and to bump it up a notch.

I'll be honest, I still prefer my BWT Mg filter to the Peak, if I have to switch out filters every 40-50l which is roughly 2-3 weeks, I'll probably just stay with the BWT.

Got a reply from Maxwell:

"That fish smell is trymethlamine which is a compound used in strong base resins and is noticeable at the end of life of filters. "

So yes, the filter seems to be at the end of it's life. I've thought some more re how much water I pushed through it and it's probably closer to 50l. If every filter is like this I'll either have to have less coffee made using water from the Peak or give it up altogether :/

https://zerowater.co.uk/pages/how-long-will-my-filter-last

My water, according to Thames Water is 275ppm. I think it’s more like 300 plus.

According to their own information.... and let’s say it’s marketing and they are optimistic....

55L or thereabouts.

Current: Lelit Elizabeth / Niche Zero / VST baskets / Distilled water + 100mg NaCO3/L

Previous: Gaggia Classic | Eureka Mignon | Rocket Cellini Evo | Profitec 700 | Profitec T-64 | Gene Cafe CBR-101 | Kinu M68 | Feldgrind 2 | La Pavoni Europiccola 2012

Also at: CoffeeTime Forum & Niche Zero Owners Group

2 hours ago, MediumRoastSteam said:

My water, according to Thames Water is 275ppm. I think it’s more like 300 plus.

According to their own information.... and let’s say it’s marketing and they are optimistic....

55L or thereabouts.

My water reads 235 to 255 & using Zerowater, at a litre plus per day, a filter lasts me 3-4 months. 

Moot really as regulations suggest changing filters for any jug every 2 months max.

Their goal was to produce 100l filtered water on the hardest setting according to their FAQ. I assume the hardest setting = maximum bypass? It seems it would be hugely dependent on water quality going in anyway....
They advertised approx 10p per litre on their kickstarter campaign. If they are unable to get even close to this figure with an average water spec filtered to a more ideal target they should really reduce the cost of the filters to make it possible. 

Hardest is zero bypass, all water goes through the filter, which is why it uses it up the quickest. But it really isn't going to work for a lot of people if you need a new filter every 2-3 weeks, at £12.50 a pop. I'm a fairly average user anyway, so using 2-3l per day tops, the issue is that you don't just brew with your boiled water, you rinse filters, warm up vessels etc. If it's that expensive to use the Peak then you'd need a separate, ordinary water kettle for all those non-brewing tasks and this isn't very practical.

I Finally got mine, It apparently  got stuck somewhere for weeks. 

Luckily I don’t have a noticeable lid issue, everything seems to work almost as it should, but it’s not very easy to turn the dial on. 

With 324ppm water I set it 4.2 or 5, so the bypass function is completely irrelevant for me. 

on a normal basis I use RO with added mineral concentrate, this isn’t going to replace it by any means. The quality of the water is okay but it isn’t even close to be at the same level, the Ro deliver better sweetness, clarity and more noticeable flavours. But for comfortable travel, short visits or longer stays in one location this will be just fine. I don’t see it as a great solution for day to day usage as it is both to expensive and dos not deliver the highest quality of water.  

• Like 1

I also wrote to them about the beads issue and now a replacement is on the way. I also started getting the fishy smell after about maybe 30 liters, far from the advertised 100L. The first 15-20L was good, but TDS is now upto 200 after filtering and I started to notice some scale in the kettle. I'll keep a more accurate log with the next filter so I can track the performance better.

Edited by the_partisan

Mrs Gee has bought me one as a present, however with our local water company giving a TH figure of 367 I’m not sure filters are going to last long by the sound of it.... 😕

After finding lots of the resin beads in the bottom of my glass / kettle they sent a replacement filter. After a day of use it’s the exact same issue only this time it has the fishy smell too. 

Supposedly these newer filters were manufactured using a different process to avoid the issue happening. 

After finding lots of the resin beads in the bottom of my glass / kettle they sent a replacement filter. After a day of use it’s the exact same issue only this time it has the fishy smell too. 
Supposedly these newer filters were manufactured using a different process to avoid the issue happening. 
Crap that is bad, fishy smell basically indicates that the filter needs changing, unless of course there's a different issue in the manufacturing process and the smell is there due to higher concentration of trymethlamine :/

I got my replacement filter today, only just primed it, so will take notes of tds / ph of filtered water now and keep logging how much water goes through it.
On 14/06/2020 at 21:15, the_partisan said:

I also wrote to them about the beads issue and now a replacement is on the way. I also started getting the fishy smell after about maybe 30 liters, far from the advertised 100L. The first 15-20L was good, but TDS is now upto 200 after filtering and I started to notice some scale in the kettle. I'll keep a more accurate log with the next filter so I can track the performance better.

How did you manage to get a replacement? I've been in touch with them last week and they asked for my address to send a new one. Gave it on Friday and haven't heard anything since, despite a follow up email. I'm now left with a filter leaking beads, passed it's "one month" best before, and no confidence of purchasing more as I'm not convinced the issue has actually been fixed based on others experiences with new filters.

Bit annoyed really. Not going to take it further but feel massively ripped off for my £50. Back to the BWT

2 hours ago, JoeBL said:

How did you manage to get a replacement? I've been in touch with them last week and they asked for my address to send a new one. Gave it on Friday and haven't heard anything since, despite a follow up email. I'm now left with a filter leaking beads, passed it's "one month" best before, and no confidence of purchasing more as I'm not convinced the issue has actually been fixed based on others experiences with new filters.

Bit annoyed really. Not going to take it further but feel massively ripped off for my £50. Back to the BWT

I got a pretty much instant response using Insta message. I am sure he will be pleased to replace that filter, speaking from my experience.

14 hours ago, JoeBL said:

They sent a me tracking number as reply to a mail to [email protected] It arrived a few days ago, seems much better sealed. I also asked about the fishy smell and they said this:

Yes, with the early filters, it seems that a very small amount of people with specific water composition triggers this 'fishy' smell. Humans are quite sensitive to this aroma at 5 parts per million. We have since added a specific resin making up 10% of the total that mitigates the trimethylamine that causes the smell. The filter coming your way has this resin in, so you shouldn't have this problem.

Just started to use the new filters now, and TDS doesn't seem as low as the old one (around 120 on 2nd fill after the flush), but will keep using it and also tracking how it progresses.

• 2 weeks later...

I've been tracking the TDS after each fill, each fill is about 1.2L-1.3L (filled directly from tap)

TDS without filtering 400-450ppm

On Hardest setting

1. Flush Fill - didn't measure
2. 122
3. 115
4. 67
5. 80
6. 112
7. 114 - at this point I already start to notice a little bit of scale on my pour over kettle
8. 115

Seems rather poor performance,  did anyone else try to measure this way?

What happened around 4 and 5? Seems like you changed settings there.

Other than that the numbers are consistent. Is that 0 bypass?

You will get scale with "ideal" brew water.

Edited by Rob1