I didn't see another specific thread for this, so thought it might be worthwhile posting. Maxwell has put a kickstarter live -with his collaborators - which is intended to help filter tap water to use with coffee at home.

Sounds interesting and it would certainly be nice to reduce the bottles that I'm going through.

Everything my heart could desire (more or less). . .

https://cupperjoe.com

@jlarkin - thought this was due up tomorrow, so thanks for posting a link.

Per my comments on the other current water thread (sufficiently unrelated), my views are similar re plastic bottles

V60 - Sage DTP - Sette 270 - Feldgrind

Thanks Joe, will take a look

R58, Niche (midnight black), IMS screen, VST Basket, Acaia Pearl, Torr GF, Feldgrind, V60, Kalita 185 and loads of other stuff I probably don't need :)

Better be quick if you want the early bird starter pack. I'm #71/100!

Hope it can handle the London chalk solution.

Laissez les bons temps rouler

Better be quick if you want the early bird starter pack. I'm #71/100!

Hope it can handle the London chalk solution.

I’ve backed it too! Living here in Scotland, thankfully that’s less of an issue.

Nuova Simonelli Oscar II // Macap MXD //

I’ve backed it too! Living here in Scotland, thankfully that’s less of an issue.
Darn you & your prehistoric volcanic rock filtration!

I honestly don’t know how you guys do it - if I lived in England I’d be installing a water filter to my water supply to the house. Ruins your skin!

I honestly don’t know how you guys do it - if I lived in England I’d be installing a water filter to my water supply to the house. Ruins your skin!

I am too late to back I think :(

2019 L-R with hand turned Thuya burr handles and toggles / 1998 La Pavoni with NickNak single hole steam wand tip  / Monolith Titan Conical & MAX  / HG-1 / Kalita wave / Stag kettle / OCD / Joey Skateboard Handle Pullman Big Step & matching stirrer /  gold B Plus stirrer / Wenge Handle Lev Tamp / Push Tamper / Puqpress / 15g & 18g vst / IMS 35μM / LDT / Barista Gear Titanium 12oz pitchers / LW Bean Cellars & Caddy / Decent thermometer / Acme Evo 150ml cups / Espazzola / Hottop / embroidered by me bar towels / coffee bar towel logo embroiderer to the hoi polloi  / in the cellars: Steampunk, North Star, Foundry, The Barn, HasBean, Coffee Compass / 6 gorgeous guineas / a dog / a very lovely and understanding husband 

Only a £2 saving anyway. Just do the £20 one so £22 in total

SAGE IS NOT A UPGRADE

:)

I think it's too late for the early bird backing but pretty sure you can still back it, it'll just be £20 rather than £18 :)

Gaggia Classic / Aeropress / V60 / Niche Zero / Wilfa Svart / Feldgrind

I think it's too late for the early bird backing but pretty sure you can still back it, it'll just be £20 rather than £18 :)

Oh yes, silly me. Done!!

2019 L-R with hand turned Thuya burr handles and toggles / 1998 La Pavoni with NickNak single hole steam wand tip  / Monolith Titan Conical & MAX  / HG-1 / Kalita wave / Stag kettle / OCD / Joey Skateboard Handle Pullman Big Step & matching stirrer /  gold B Plus stirrer / Wenge Handle Lev Tamp / Push Tamper / Puqpress / 15g & 18g vst / IMS 35μM / LDT / Barista Gear Titanium 12oz pitchers / LW Bean Cellars & Caddy / Decent thermometer / Acme Evo 150ml cups / Espazzola / Hottop / embroidered by me bar towels / coffee bar towel logo embroiderer to the hoi polloi  / in the cellars: Steampunk, North Star, Foundry, The Barn, HasBean, Coffee Compass / 6 gorgeous guineas / a dog / a very lovely and understanding husband 

Early bird starter back with 12 filters is mighty tempting. Thanks for posting about this.

Definitely good to reduce plastics.

Early bird starter back with 12 filters is mighty tempting. Thanks for posting about this.

Definitely good to reduce plastics.

That’s the one I’ve gone for - if you’ve committed to the jug, might as well commit for 2 years you know!

If it reaches 65k that is.

SAGE IS NOT A UPGRADE

:)

Did no one here think about asking questions. The facility is there on the site, but it is a big fat zero so far?

First off; these bicarbonate busting resins, what are they made of?

Well marketed, but not a lot of substance, though I agree about city to city variance, even within city variance, and then here in Leeds and over to York. I do respect the effort that went into 'water for coffee', but for me I think a work top jug filter is another dispatched into the cupboard solution. I cannot get out of my thoughts that if a filter has a 'working life' it must also have a sweet spot, beyond which it is not as good (either side). Trouble would be identifying that sweet spot I guess, and spending more time than just tasting the coffee.

Edited by Syenitic

Having asked a couple of questions, I understand they’ll be adding an in-depth FAQ tomorrow (the answers I got were positive enough to make my mind up about pledging) - which will hopefully help to allay some valid concerns

I’m not a kickstarter member yet so can’t ask questions.

Could someone please enquire on the volume of water that each filter should process? I guess the four “power” levels of filtration will impact effective lifespans, so likely one filter will process 25-250 litres, say?

The difference in price between a single filter and a 13-filter package is £60 for 12 extra filters, so at £5 per filter (presumably a discounted Kickstarter price??) is a lot of money and needs to filter at least 25 litres to even match Ashbeck’s price.

Very interested in the concept but don’t want to hamstring myself to what could be one an expensive and niche system.

I’m not a kickstarter member yet so can’t ask questions.

Could someone please enquire on the volume of water that each filter should process? I guess the four “power” levels of filtration will impact effective lifespans, so likely one filter will process 25-250 litres, say?

The difference in price between a single filter and a 13-filter package is £60 for 12 extra filters, so at £5 per filter (presumably a discounted Kickstarter price??) is a lot of money and needs to filter at least 25 litres to even match Ashbeck’s price.

Very interested in the concept but don’t want to hamstring myself to what could be one an expensive and niche system.

They estimate that the 13 filter pack will last 2 years.

@rob177palmer

I asked a not dissimilar question - so I’m confident the FAQ will answer it when it’s added to the page

Just backed and still got the early bird price.

Londinium-R - Kafatek Monolith Flat (yes, that one) 

I'm in at £18 + £2 UK P&P too.

________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

ACS Vesuvius, Niche Grinder, Aeropress, Oomph

Just backed and still got the early bird price.
It was limited to 100 spaces yesterday & now it's 1000.

I wonder whether the jug would be any good for soft water that doesn't have much minerals which is the problem I am facing. At the moment I am using a epsom salts & bicarbonate soda solution to fix this but it's a hassle and not that straightforward.