IGNORED

Awesome Debut Albums

As suggested by Syenitic, this is a Bank Holiday thread for the above. Keep it brief but tell us why or what memories it invokes. There are so many but for me, the clear winner is Mealoaf Bat out of Hell. At the time, I was going out with a girl in Manchester and going down most weekends. This was played absolutely non stop for many many months!

The advantage of being a Silver member....

As suggested by Syenitic, this is a Bank Holiday thread for the above. Keep it brief but tell us why or what memories it invokes. There are so many but for me, the clear winner is Mealoaf Bat out of Hell. At the time, I was going out with a girl in Manchester and going down most weekends. This was played absolutely non stop for many many months!
Three for me...

The stone roses (got into them during my teenage years)

Kasabian (a levels)

Lcd soundsystem (mid 20's).

Might go and have a little listen to all three!

A few here although there are many more - some are great albums before they went up their own arses

U2 - Boy

Heaven 17 - the luxury gap - played this to death in my teens

Coldplay - parachutes (the second choice here that fits my initial comment)

Lorde - Pure Heroine

Marillion - Script For a Jesters Tear - some great memories from playing this

Hard to pick debut albums, so some next-best choices:

Weather Report - Heavy Weather. This was the first album with Jaco Pastorius as bass player. A lot of bass players including me went out and bought fretless basses as a result. "Birdland" has remained an iconic track. Incredible arrangement by Joe Zawinul.

Miles Davis - Seven Steps To Heaven. The "Second Great Quintet" starts here with Tony Williams aged 17 on drums and Herbie Hancock. Phenomenal.

Sviatoslav Richter - the 1958 Sofia Recital. This was the first album of Richter to be released in the UK. Critics were stupefied by the Liszt pieces and called him the "Pianist of the Century". I went up to London by myself age 14 to hear his debut recital in the UK (on BBC Legends). The atmosphere was electric. He played 6 encores and everyone ran down to the front of the stage like he was a superstar. In the celebrity box at the Royal Festival Hall were Britten, Shostakovich, Hindemith, Oistrakh and Rostropovich (who were also playing concerts) and no doubt several others I didn't recognise.

Edited by les24preludes

As a kid was mostly exposed to pop music but in early teens moved to Canada where, curiously, I was exposed to a ton of British rock music I never heard on the UK radio stations, became a fan of Led Zep, Genesis, Tull and all that lot. But I discovered them going backwards e.g. first Zep album was Physical Graffiti and this is about debut albums so here’s a few since then:

Van Halen - Van Halen : memories of being a late teenager cruising around Montreal, where I partly grew up, with me noisy rock-lovin Canuck mates. Couldn’t believe Eddie VH’s guitar technique, Eruption still blows me away 40 years later

The Cars - The Cars : another brilliant debut from a band that stood the test of time, more memories of looking for girls in downtown Montreal, we usually had The Cars and VH on while we were driving around

One Step Beyond - Madness : from Montreal to Manchester for uni and dropped into the whole UK post-punk scene, which was incredible, lots of bleary, boozy nights some of which I can’t quite remember. The start of the broadening of my musical horizons

The Specials - The Specials : awesome UK ska revival period, loved all the two-tone stuff and still do

Chic - Chic : hated Chic when I first heard them at Uni, but then developed into a lifelong appreciation and deep respect for Nile and Bernard and everything funk, eye-opening for a young bass player :)

Probably loads more but these had the most impact in my formative teenage years, now I love all sorts, folk, jazz, classical.

Rage Against the Machine - self titled.

563e2f9f696a0a6855070a526a9aeaa9.jpg

I shouldn’t have to explain this one - if you haven’t listened to this yet, I strongly suggest you do!

(Side note: saw them live 10 years ago, when they reunited for a gig at Coachella, in California. Hands down the best gig I’ve ever been to.)

Van Halen - Van Halen : memories of being a late teenager cruising around Montreal, where I partly grew up, with me noisy rock-lovin Canuck mates. Couldn’t believe Eddie VH’s guitar technique, Eruption still blows me away 40 years later.

And there is the album that inspired me to mention the idea of this thread in dfk41's cover versions post.

Guns and roses - appetite for destruction

Pearl jam - ten

Faithless - reverence

Dr Dre - the chronic

All were amazing for their time and bring back memories in so many different ways

Don't know if it would qualify as a debut album really - Blizzard of Oz - launched the much too short lived partnership of Ozzy with the immensely gifted Randy Rhoads (who took Mr van Halen's efforts to the next level).

Pearl jam - ten

Dr Dre - the chronic

Oh yes. I once saw Pearl Jam at a festival - I was with my now wife, at the time, who wasn’t a PJ fan. Missed half the set. I’ve never fully forgiven her. :p

Oh yes. I once saw Pearl Jam at a festival - I was with my now wife, at the time, who wasn’t a PJ fan. Missed half the set. I’ve never fully forgiven her. :p

Saw Pearl Jam at a Neil Young concert - think it was Finsbury Park. Really good performance

Rage Against the Machine - self titled.

563e2f9f696a0a6855070a526a9aeaa9.jpg

I shouldn’t have to explain this one - if you haven’t listened to this yet, I strongly suggest you do!

(Side note: saw them live 10 years ago, when they reunited for a gig at Coachella, in California. Hands down the best gig I’ve ever been to.)

I do love a bit of Tom morello

Did you listen to Audioslave, his project with Chris Cornell (rip)

That was a pretty good debut album

Yeah I have, I listen to Soundgarden too. Audiosalves self titled album is excellent - another good shout!

Saw Pearl Jam at a Neil Young concert - think it was Finsbury Park. Really good performance

Showing your age there, that was back in 1993...!

Big Weather Report & Jaco Pastorius fan myself. Technically of course Heavy Weather is not a debut album for WR. Miroslav Vitous fans will be after you! ;)

I hope they come and visit, and I'll brew them up some nice coffee! Czech Republic has produced some great bassists, like Vitous, Robert Balzar and George Mraz. I love going to Prague for the opera - big Janacek fan. My son lives there which is convenient. Lovely city, Prague.

Yeah I have, I listen to Soundgarden too. Audiosalves self titled album is excellent - another good shout!

Showing your age there, that was back in 1993...!

It was indeed

The line up that I can remember was 4 non blondes (playing as we got there)

James

Pearl Jam

Neil Young with Booker T

And that's as much as I remember - All Along the Watchtower was the stand out song for me

felt a degree of responsibility for this thread and have actually struggled to think of any worthy contenders beyond the VH album. You probably all got me down as some sort of hard rock bore...and if it is allowed Brian Johnson's debut with AcDc was pretty cool, but sadly outdone, for me, by his predecessor, so not an awseome album, but a damned fine one - Back in Black

Beyond that thought, a strange one maybe; Scissor Sisters by Scissor Sisters. Not usually a fan of mainstream radio pop, which is how it brute-forced its way into the summer consciousness way back in the noughties. It is not mainstream pop though, some beautiful vocal arrangements, and some great interpretation of old classics that I think might get some members here foaming at the mouth including @dfk41 (yes comfortably numb - but unlike so many covers it does not try to be like the original - sort of BeeGees does Pink Floyd).

Lenny Kravitz - Let love rule, fine album, lots of promise, never realisedd

Pixies - surfer rosa - anything that delivered 'where is my mind' on a debut album automatically becomes special. but the album has some great supporting music. bit marmite maybe?

The Ruts- The Crack. No finer punk anywhere.

....and tonight i got a reminder from BBC4, kate bush - kick inside -i appreciate it now I am grown up, hated it as a teenager. Think all her work is probably worthy.

Edited by Syenitic
Eponymous........

On that note:

Queen was pretty good

I think Peter Gabriel was OK too.... although I think I preferred Peter Gabriel & Peter Gabriel

Yes wasn't too shabby

Black Sabbath was not as good as Paranoid

And while we are here - Seal and Seal were up there...

Oh and Kraftwerk (even if not as well remembered as Autobahn

because of Kraftwerk - I have just remembered - Iso Tomita "The Planets"... which I loved (but it might not actually be his debut)

If I may take a second bite of the cherry...

Agree with these two which I thought about including:

A Kick Inside - Kate Bush : quite extraordinary and still is, and offered a first fascinating insight into the mysteries of the female mind to us confused male teenagers

Peter Gabriel - Peter Gabriel : first solo album after leaving Genesis so wasn’t sure it counted as a debut, but every track on here is a gem in my opinion

One more slightly contentious one:

Never Mind The Bollocks - The Sex Pistols : certainly had an impact, but behind the shock value Nick Lowe’s production is quite outstanding