IGNORED

Who keeps their empty milk jugs in the fridge?

Who keeps their milk jug in the fridge?  

39 members have voted

1. 1. Who keeps their milk jug in the fridge?

I have started to. I always have been able to make an acceptable (to me anyway) microfoam. This is my attempt at being a boffin. If you need cold milk to make good foam, then why warm it up by pouring it into a milk jug at room temperature. Can you imagine the scene if just after having poured the milk out into the jug, the doorbell goes and at the door is an encyclopaedia salesman who takes up 10 minutes of your time. You close the door on him and the phone goes and it is your mother for her weekly catch up. by the time you get back to the milk, it might be 5 degrees warmer than when you first decanted it out. That could make a big difference to the overall milk foaming capability.

I am not the first to suggest this. I know it is a common held thought amongst many industry professional. Indeed it was one such person who gave me this invaluable tip that I am sharing with the wider community.

• Like 1

The advantage of being a Silver member....

Take it a stage further then....try microfilming milk at room temp and see what happens

• Like 1

Yes. Same place as the milk is stored...... handy to pour one into the other...... why would I not ?

Small word of caution: If you are forced to abort your coffee making for some reason and decide to return the half filled jug to the fridge, do remember to make proper mental note.

If when you resume coffee making, you grab the half filled jug as if it were empty then it can result in both yourself and the kitchen floor, being covered in milk.

Please don't ask me how I know.

I used to do this at home. In the coffee shop it’s not practical and the milk goes from the bottle in the fridge to the jug to the steam wand in about 5 seconds so it isn’t going to increase in temp too much if using a room temp jug. Keeping everything super cold just gives you a bit more time to get the texture right when you’re getting your technique down but once you have it, I’d be surprised if you continue with the fridge jug routine.

Take it a stage further then....try microfilming milk at room temp and see what happens

It was a bit more than room temp . . . The milk was room temp but the jug was hot.

41068002762_87c463c564.jpg

The pic doesn’t really do it justice. It was like glossy cream in the pitcher! 10s steaming max.

41068003082_658cf1c276.jpg

Nothing like a bank holiday debate.....is it coffee bollocks, or defined never to see the light of day then?

• Like 1