dsc

Anyone here uses robotic vacuum cleaners?

Our Roomba has gone. After using it and nothing else for 12 months or so we noticed that there was a build up of very fine dust. We just leave most things as they are and also have a hairy dog. It finds it's way around some how and gets the dog hairs up. We tried to use it daily and mostly did just that. ;) The fully auto one would have done that for us.

We still have a Henry about so did a thorough clean with that. Near zero gets though it's filters. Then started using a Dyson V8. Will have to see how that goes but looks ok so far. It's very good at getting dog hairs up and dust out of carpets. If we have been a bit lax sometimes have to empty it part way through a clean - dog hairs. Suction dropped of recently so dismantled it for a thorough clean.

I also had to dismantle and clean out the Roomba. There was a lot of dust inside it.

We also have an 18v Morphy Richards one. Seems to be as efficient as the Dyson but cleaning the container and cyclone etc is a bit more of a pain that the Dyson. Have to undo screws and wash the lot and then let it dry but they will sell a 2nd one as a spare. It's internals collect more dust that wont come out than than the Dyson but that has a similar problem. Cleaning that needed a certain size of safety torx driver.

Makes me wonder sometimes. The Henry just goes on and on and just needs a new bag when they are full. We suck all sorts of rubbish up with it - jobs on house etc also as an extractor for power tools at times.

John

-

In Use Sage DB+IMS Shower Screen, Niche. Profitec T64. Others Sage BE, Mazer Mini A, Ceado 37J. Projects Little Gem, Gaggia M7D

:pToo many filter baskets - maybe. For sale when I get round to it. Robur Elect, Ceado 37J, Ascaso i_1,Piccino

With a newborn, I would unhesitatingly go for a powerful cordless instead. Within a few months your newborn will be throwing crumbs around and leaving so much stuff all over the floor that a robot will sit gathering dust (or not!) as it won't be able to cope. Children are agents of chaos and you will soon find small areas of mess (sand, dirt, small stones, crushed biscuit, torn leaves) scattered across your house (and in your car!) that a robot won't be able to help you with, when you need it. Back in the day, when faced with an untidy mess of toys with a fine biscuit crumb underlay, I'd push the plastic aside or throw it into baskets and clean the detritus off the floor in seconds, no waiting around for the robot to figure it out. Takes seconds, or maybe a couple of minutes if you decide to do the whole room and hallway while it's in your hand.

I would get the newest Dyson, since with every new model the battery life gets longer, if money is less of an issue. Some (maybe all, these days) have what's called a 'fluffy' head which means that they can pick up Cheerios and other things that kids like to throw around; brush-heads, which are good for carpeting, often just kick larger crumbs off into the distance, where they stay until said small child finds it and eats it a week later. We have our Dyson attached to the wall in the kitchen and it takes literally seconds to run around the room. I don't bother using the big vacuum cleaner now either, since it's so easy to quickly do one or a few rooms in one charge, although if I do the whole house I have to empty it a couple of times since the bin is quite small. Also good for vacuuming beds etc if your kids get allergies.

I have more experience in this whole area than anyone would want to have. Apart from the cordless, the best thing a woman can have for dealing with the mess and stress of a newborn and the associated chaos is a helpful husband :-) (and a cleaner, but cleaners aren't there to pick up the everyday crap that a cordless can deal with!)

Good luck with it all!

I should add... we did have a robot. It had novelty value and I do think it would be great for people who are out during the day, but with kids I found I needed to do spot clearups before things get ground into the carpet, and the cordless was waay better.

The Dyson V8 still seems to be keeping us clear of very fine dust so happy so far but not too happy about having a need to dismantle and clean it to get the performance back up. Not sure how long it was before that was needed - probably 10 months or so but we will have got rid of a lot of the stuff the Roomba left behind by now. V10 - suspect it's the same thing with a larger cannister. The V8 is very easy to empty but plastic in places in it accumulate dust over time. Boost seems to be a good idea to empty the grinder out. Henry does that with ease without using it's boost. The Henry is destined to go in a cupboard at some point. It's currently being used to get brick dust and all sorts up as I work on the kitchen.

John

-

In Use Sage DB+IMS Shower Screen, Niche. Profitec T64. Others Sage BE, Mazer Mini A, Ceado 37J. Projects Little Gem, Gaggia M7D

:pToo many filter baskets - maybe. For sale when I get round to it. Robur Elect, Ceado 37J, Ascaso i_1,Piccino

Posted (edited)

Just resurrecting this thread from last year - to see if anyone else has recent experience of robot vacs????

I've done some good research, and it seems that the Neato Botvac D7 Connected comes out on top - so that's probably what I'm going for.

@streem26 above seems happy with a Neato, and I've got a friend that reports similarly.... anyone else any good / bad experiences?

I specifically want a "proper" one - that properly navigates (rather than the cheap ones, which just use random turns after hitting obstacles), ideally by laser (so it'll work in the dark) and that include smart-phone integration, with configurable exclusion areas and zone cleaning on a schedule.  The Neato D7 seems to be the best when looking at these features, combined with the D shape giving better brushing, and the motor itself being a more powerful vaccuum.

Before anyone mentions it again - I already have a cleaner, and a wife armed with a corded and cordless Dyson, this is for "top up" cleaning overnight of high-traffic areas (having kids and pets, it doesnt take long!)

Edited by MrShades

Lots of everything: machines, grinders, roaster, beans, tampers, baskets, blah, blah

However - Too much is never enough!

The Neato sounds really good. I’ve got the Roomba 612. It is perfect for us. Small rooms, nothing too difficult to negotiate etc. My sister also has one and she said it didn’t like her black rug. Of course, it isn’t the one with the App (I didn’t want that option for now). It covers every square inch and I have been absolutely amazed at how much dust, bits, muck, hair, fluff etc it collects. I have to empty it frequently!!!

I think having a robot vac is great! The floors look cleaner - we are clean anyway, no shoes indoors here, but I expect the dog brings a good bit in on her paws, but everywhere really does seem very clean. I set him (Ron) off when we get up and move him to the kitchen after breakfast. You don’t want clutter or cables on the floor and the Roomba has been known to get stuck under the bath as it’s just the 'wrong' height but overall it rarely encounters any problems. 

My sister also has a robot window cleaner and a robot floor mop thing!!

• Like 1

2019 L-R with hand turned Thuya burr handles and toggles / 1998 La Pavoni / Monolith Titan Flat & Conical, MAX Flat on order  / HG-1 / Kalita wave / Stag kettle / OCD / Joey Skateboard Handle Pullman Big Step & matching stirrer / Wenge Handle Lev Tamp / Push Tamper / Puqpress / 15g & 18g vst / IMS 35μM / LDT / Barista Gear Titanium 12oz pitchers / LW Bean Cellars & Caddy / Decent thermometer / Acme Evo 150ml cups / Espazzola / Hottop / embroidered by me bar towels / in the cellars: Steampunk, North Star, Foundry, The Barn, HasBean, Coffee Compass / 6 gorgeous guineas / a dog / a very lovely husband 

Thanks@MildredM - I think they are improving all the time and actually seem pretty good these days. Whilst Dyson rule the roost of cordless, the reviews of the Eye 360 seem poor. I think they were innovative with the decent navigation but others now do it better and with better pickup.

Roomba have the brand recognition and the one that ‘empties’ itself seems cool - but it’s hellishly expensive!

When my wife suggested getting one it was because a friend gave great reports of hers (which transpired to be a Neato) - and before starting my Google based research I’d never heard of them and was heading off along a Roomba tack - but they do look v good.

I’ll probably hold out until Prime Day and see what happens to prices - but the expensive ones seem to be better, especially with the proper navigation, zoning, exclusions and schedule - to wake up every morning to freshly cleaned rooms sounds great.

Hiding the charger and vac under a sideboard also seems like a common suggestion - and having the little fella pop out of hiding, do his cleaning and then disappear again sounds ideal.

Have set up some camelcamelcamel alerts and will see what happens...

• Like 1

Lots of everything: machines, grinders, roaster, beans, tampers, baskets, blah, blah

However - Too much is never enough!

When my sister said she’d bought one I laughed out loud - I thought they were a joke! Now I’m a convert!

Our upstairs is horrid to hoover manually what with the low ceilings and sloping walls down 2 sides of every room. It is fully carpeted too. Ron sails up and down getting right into the edges and almost into the corners leaving the carpet immaculate and fluffed up! Downstairs is mainly tiled with a rug, and another room has sisal flooring. The tiles look more polished than ever now and the sisal has to be cleaner than it ever was by the look of all the bits in the container when it’s been in there!

I wasn’t convinced with the Dyson after reading the reviews. That, coupled with the price, put me off. My Ron was only £230 from Argos when I got him, I see they are £340 or something now.

• Like 1

2019 L-R with hand turned Thuya burr handles and toggles / 1998 La Pavoni / Monolith Titan Flat & Conical, MAX Flat on order  / HG-1 / Kalita wave / Stag kettle / OCD / Joey Skateboard Handle Pullman Big Step & matching stirrer / Wenge Handle Lev Tamp / Push Tamper / Puqpress / 15g & 18g vst / IMS 35μM / LDT / Barista Gear Titanium 12oz pitchers / LW Bean Cellars & Caddy / Decent thermometer / Acme Evo 150ml cups / Espazzola / Hottop / embroidered by me bar towels / in the cellars: Steampunk, North Star, Foundry, The Barn, HasBean, Coffee Compass / 6 gorgeous guineas / a dog / a very lovely husband 

Posted (edited)

👍 for Neato

I take all the credit for hovering the house, tested it against the Dyson (well I hovered the same area afterwards with the Dyson which hardly picked up anything extra).

It lives in the kitchen and has a program to hoover up after breakfast and then if we leave the door open it will wander around and do the rest of the ground floor, it has to recharge halfway through, but will go back and finish off.

The Neato scans the room and doesn't bump into everything, we put a magnetic strip around stuff we don't want hoovered at Christmas, for instance.

You do have to be careful to not leave wires around.

Batteries are cheap to replace, it's easy to maintain, mine is three years old and keeps going, I would replace it the second it gives up.

Got mine from Costco and they will replace for up to two years.

Edited by Sticky
  • Like 2

Rocket R9 One - LaMarzocco GS3 - Rocket Porta Via - VA Mythos One - Mythos PuqPress - Eureka Atom 75mm - Acaia Lunar Scale - Kruve Sieves - Espro Convex Tamper (30lbs click) - VST baskets - IMS screens - Motta Stainless Milk Pitchers - Akira Beam Heater - Hario Next Syphon - Chemex 8 Classic & an ever growing collection of coffee making accessories that I don't use often, none more ridiculous than the Hario 'minifon'.

Posted (edited)

I decided to get rid of mine...…….. well it was just collecting dust...….

weed.png.4b3da89a5d382b6a5526a11e57749d5c.png

Joking aside consider getting a Bosch Athlet cordless vac - as good  as a Dyson and will run for upto 60 mins, very light and easy to push around and small to store, 

Here  you can pay up to 300 forone but the 150 or less version are just as good

Edited by jimbojohn55
  • Haha 1

keep calm and grind flat

32 minutes ago, jimbojohn55 said:

I decided to get rid of mine...…….. well it was just collecting dust...….

weed.png.4b3da89a5d382b6a5526a11e57749d5c.png

Joking aside consider getting a Bosch Athlet cordless vac - as good  as a Dyson and will run for upto 60 mins, very light and easy to push around and small to store, 

Here  you can pay up to 300 forone but the 150 or less version are just as good

LOLOLOLOLOLOL but . . . You have to PUSH it around 🤣🤣🤣

• Like 2

My Roborock S50 is ace. £280 from AliEpress on Singles day last year. Mop mode, powerful, map editing with zones and barriers. Gets great reviews

• Like 1

Robocock? Jesus...

We have our 10+yo Roomba clean up after my roasting mess (chaff, beans, paper corners from labels) and knockonwood it always does what we ask it to do. By now the charging station it should return to has given up but you can plug it in directly so no big deal as you have to pick it up and get the reservoir out to empty it, anyways.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

says Hasi.

'This Sunday I will be out in the road saying - "Hasi says your impeading me from pursuing my recreational motivations while you wank off over the finer details of some aloof brainfork" :whistle: ' @jimbojohn55

Deep Thought says 'tight wiggles' is the answer. @Scotford

I do! 🙋‍♀️ Best thing I ever bought to myself . I turn it on when I'm leaving the house, and when I come back, the house is clean, vacuumd, and I'm not tired of vacuuming around 😃