dsc

Anyone here uses robotic vacuum cleaners?

Wife was asking whether its a good idea to get one seeing as I hate vacuuming and she's busy with a newborn. Someone suggested Xiaomi as a brand worth getting, but I'm not super eager on coughing up ~£300 on one only to find out we have too much crap chucked around the house for it to be effective.

T.

Espresso: Londinium L1, ZR-71 grinder

Photography: Flickr

A friend of ours has one. Well, she did. Now she employs a cleaner, which I think is probably the better option . . . . I am not saying they’re rubbish (!) but hers wasn’t much use. The dog enjoyed chasing it round though :)

Congrats, by the way :)

2019 L-R with hand turned Thuya burr handles and toggles / Monolith Titan Flat & Conical / HG-1 / Kalita wave / Stag kettle / OCD / Joey Skateboard Handle Pullman Big Step & matching stirrer / Wenge Handle Lev Tamp / Push Tamper / Puqpress / 15g & 18g vst / IMS 35μM / LDT / Barista Gear Titanium 12oz pitchers / LW Bean Cellars & Caddy / Decent thermometer / Acme Evo 150ml cups / Espazzola / Hottop / embroidered by me bar towels / in the cellars: Steampunk, North Star, Foundry, The Barn, HasBean, Coffee Compass / part-time LSOL participant / 6 gorgeous guineas / a dog / a very lovely husband / 

As Mildred said. My parents had one. Your money would be better spent on a cleaner, we have a cleaner now after I've returned to work and it's the best thing we've ever done, they do the tasks we hate (bathrooms, kitchen) and make the "public areas" presentable (I work from home) but don't touch bedrooms etc (because we couldn't afford them to do everything!) So you can ask for specific tasks.

My parents hoover thing was fine if there was no mess at all. It was basically like trying to hoover everywhere with one of those novelty desktop hoovers, but at least it did it, itself, when it died (not after a particularly long time) they didn't bother to replace it.

Did someone say coffee?

:Gaggia Classic--> Nuova Simonelli Oscar--> fracino Cherub:Mazzer SuperJolly:Hario V60+aeropress+french press:

I’m with missy, get a cleaner! Ours just does the kitchen and bathrooms and a whizz round with the hoover. It’s the best 20 quid a week I’ve ever spent. We’re adopting an 11 month old in 2 weeks so she’s going to be a godsend.

Vesuvius, Monolith Conical, Feldgrind

I’m with missy, get a cleaner! Ours just does the kitchen and bathrooms and a whizz round with the hoover. It’s the best 20 quid a week I’ve ever spent. We’re adopting an 11 month old in 2 weeks so she’s going to be a godsend.

Does your cleaner cover the whole area? I've debated having one but wasn't sure.

Congrats also. Exciting times indeed

Home - Nuova Simonelli MAC2000 V, La Pavoni, Compak e8, Niche Zero, IMS & VST baskets, IMS shower screen, skateboard torr, MildredM bar towels

@SkateReclaimCreate

Wow how exciting. Though the tongue in cheek bit of me thinks we need "the cleaner" rather than "she" prior to the godsend bit, as I wondered if you were hoping for a replacement to requiring a cleaner!

There is honestly no way we would be able to clean and work and have any quality of life, we've added the cost into the "cost of childcare" expense bracket, we live in tied accomodation, and it is far too big and easily messed up for two working people with small children to keep on top of. (It's all beige carpets and cream walls!) We've also got two short haired sheddy dogs, so the cleaner is essential in keeping me sane, and compared to the cost of nursery it's a bargain!

Did someone say coffee?

:Gaggia Classic--> Nuova Simonelli Oscar--> fracino Cherub:Mazzer SuperJolly:Hario V60+aeropress+french press:

Does your cleaner cover the whole area? I've debated having one but wasn't sure.

Congrats also. Exciting times indeed

She lives in ingleby arncliffe so usually covers around stokesley. She’s retired so I think it’s just a bit of extra.

It’s worth asking around who people know, ours is an old work friend of my mum. The agencies are really expensive. A local well known one wanted £150 up front for a ‘deep clean’ (it was a brand new house, immaculate) then £68 per week

(Btw, I took your question literally to start with, I was about to tell you where she hoovers )

Wow how exciting. Though the tongue in cheek bit of me thinks we need "the cleaner" rather than "she" prior to the godsend bit, as I wondered if you were hoping for a replacement to requiring a cleaner!

2 year olds can mop floors right?

She lives in ingleby arncliffe so usually covers around stokesley. She’s retired so I think it’s just a bit of extra.

It’s worth asking around who people know, ours is an old work friend of my mum. The agencies are really expensive. A local well known one wanted £150 up front for a ‘deep clean’ (it was a brand new house, immaculate) then £68 per week

(Btw, I took your question literally to start with, I was about to tell you where she hoovers )

"oh yes she gets right into every corner" haha it's still early

Home - Nuova Simonelli MAC2000 V, La Pavoni, Compak e8, Niche Zero, IMS & VST baskets, IMS shower screen, skateboard torr, MildredM bar towels

@SkateReclaimCreate

2 year olds can mop floors right?
Not until they are 3.... They can chop your veg and cook meals from 2. And with intensive training can fly coffee gear solo from around 18 months.

Definitely get someone self employed. A couple do ours, it's £26 for 2 person hours, whereas an agency was around £50 for the same work, but that would actually take 2 hours, my pair are in and out in an hour.

Did someone say coffee?

11 months old? I thought you were getting a new Monolith :)

Seriously though, I am so pleased for you - congratulations xxx

2019 L-R with hand turned Thuya burr handles and toggles / Monolith Titan Flat & Conical / HG-1 / Kalita wave / Stag kettle / OCD / Joey Skateboard Handle Pullman Big Step & matching stirrer / Wenge Handle Lev Tamp / Push Tamper / Puqpress / 15g & 18g vst / IMS 35μM / LDT / Barista Gear Titanium 12oz pitchers / LW Bean Cellars & Caddy / Decent thermometer / Acme Evo 150ml cups / Espazzola / Hottop / embroidered by me bar towels / in the cellars: Steampunk, North Star, Foundry, The Barn, HasBean, Coffee Compass / part-time LSOL participant / 6 gorgeous guineas / a dog / a very lovely husband / 

Wife was asking whether its a good idea to get one seeing as I hate vacuuming and she's busy with a newborn. Someone suggested Xiaomi as a brand worth getting, but I'm not super eager on coughing up ~£300 on one only to find out we have too much crap chucked around the house for it to be effective.

T.

We have a botvac bought used at a reasonable price from eBay. We like it a lot and despite its diminutive size, it vacuums really well. I think perhaps because it moves quite slowly compared to when a human pushes a normal vacuum around.

However, rooms do take a little preparation for it - lifting obstacles out the way etc and being wary of places it can get stuck eg under chests of drawers and sofas. If you had small rooms or lots of furniture I wouldn’t bother. If you have vast swathes of carpet and a minimalist approach to furniture - you’ll love it.

Londinium-R - Kafatek Monolith Flat (yes, that one) 

If you can get a good cleaner, hang on to them. We had two great cleaners who moved to commercial cleaning for the money. One of the cleaners they employed then took over the domestic cleaning business but was nowhere near as thorough.

After a couple more disasters (one who wouldn't come into the house if any man was in the house) we decided to bite the bullet and do it ourselves.

One thing that I couldn't understand was that Mrs WD would clean up before the cleaners came so that the house looked good

a grinder a lever and some beans

One thing that I couldn't understand was that Mrs WD would clean up before the cleaners came so that the house looked good

I tidy round because that's a 5 minute job and I know where things live. If the cleaner does that it's less time spent with their head down my toilet/doing the floors.

Did someone say coffee?

I've been thinking about the same thing. I have a lot of smart gadgets in the house already so a smart vacuum was a obvious next addition. However, I still think just employing a cleaner would be a better option. I live on my own and I hate cleaning bathrooms, kitchen etc. so for the money I'm thinking a cleaner is the better investment and this thread has helped :D

Breville (Sage) Dual Boiler, Niche Zero, joey24dirt custom tamper

Macap MX

Aeropress

If you live in a minimalist white cube, go for it. If you have 'stuff', go with a cleaner, we've been without one for a month and will be sorting that out pronto. It makes such a difference!

"Coffee: The Good, The Bad, and The Ayurvedic Perspective"

Behave yourself.

11 months old? I thought you were getting a new Monolith :)

Seriously though, I am so pleased for you - congratulations xxx

The monolith is coming next Wednesday, we can get into a nice routine before baby arrives

I can't imagine they're as good as a good vac for pick up, so maybe they're a bit of a false economy.

The one thing they're good for as far as I can see is this

Gaggia Classic Chrome - Mignon Specialita 55

The Xiaomi I was thinking about has really good reviews and seems to be smarter than the rest in terms of room scanning, but I'm still not convinced considering the price.

Will have a look at cleaners in our area, although with it being down sauf I reckon prices will be x2 :/

Thanks for all the replies!

T.

We have a Roomba. It's good in that you just pop it in a room and shut the door and it does the job. And in that it is far better at getting dog hair out of the carpet than our proper hoover. But as noted above you obviously have to tidy away all cables etc.

I think it's because it's more brush than suck that it's good at hair, but that also means you have to get all the hair out of the brush pretty much every time you run it. I also find it's unreliable at finding its charger again and gets itself stuck in places.

Ours has its place but its not amazing, especially for the money.

We used a Roomba for some time. Biggest problem was not buying the model that would start itself up each day. Used daily it wasn't too bad. They don't hold much dust. We have a dog and the brush did need cleaning from time to time. We also bought a door guard for it so that it wouldn't go into the kitchen if the door was open. We mostly used it in the living room - it can get under most of our chairs. 1911 parquet flooring partly carpeted. Were I feel it failed a bit is getting dust out of the carpet.

The charger broke after about 4 or 5 months and replacements were too expensive in the UK really. It's also an odd charger - nothing else keeps the Roomba happy. I also had to strip it thoroughly to get dust out eventually but that was mostly down to wanting to sort out a none standard charger - I was surprised how much dust there was in places.

We have switched to a powerful cordless now. I could be tempted to use a Roomba again daily and use the vac now and again. The problem with daily use for us was parking it under a chair - hands and knees job to start it up.

John

-

In Use Sage DB+IMS Shower Screen, Niche. Profitec T64. Others Sage BE, Mazer Mini A, Ceado 37J. Projects Little Gem, Gaggia M7D

:pToo many filter baskets - maybe. For sale when I get round to it. Robur Elect, Ceado 37J, Ascaso i_1,Piccino

We constantly have cables laying around even though I try my hardest at tiding (my wife leaves chargers and extensions cables everywhere), so I reckon I'd need to do some prep each time before the vac can go out and do it's business which is far from ideal. I'm also worried that it would get stuck in smaller spaces as from what I gather it just bumps around randomly trying to find a route out of a dead spot? the Xiaomi one is apparently more clever as it scans the room first and then it goes around avoiding obstacles, but I've got no idea how well this works in a fairly untidy scenario.

T.

Our roomba is from the random path bump til you escape school. And we're untidy. Many times it has got into a robotic embrace with shoe/charger/toy. However I imagine even if its path wasn't random it would still find its natural attraction to these things impossible to resist.

The robotic lawnmower is much better. That is less sophisticated but it destroys rather than collecting things, leaving it to continue its job unchallenged, day after day. Or at least it would if the lawn was flat...

We have a roomba as well and it's amazing that we get to have a clean floor despite having a furry dog. I noticed it 's such a pro when it comes to hair and carpet. I read here other cheap vacuum alternatives. One thing we didn't like much about it though is that we will have to constantly do "preliminary cleaning", pick up all unnecessary stuff on the floor just before letting the roomba run.

Edited by CoffeeCartel

I have a Neato. It works really well on carpets, rugs, hard tiles and wooden floorboards.

It can handle obstacles really well, and generally runs without needing any human intervention at all, except for dustbin emptying, the frequency of which depends on the size of your floors, how often you run it, and how dirty they are. The bin is really easy to empty.

It handles cat hair, cat litter crystals, ordinary dust and dirt, leaves, feathers (don't ask! clear.pngclear.png), little bits of paper, and in general pretty much everything one might find on the floor and regard as dirt.

https://flipboard.com/@maxgoodz/top-20-best-ping-pong-paddle-review-2019-elcb7m7qy

Edited by streem26