Badgerman

Mazzer Royal single dosing mods - safety hopper and autodosing removal

Just trim a bit off the funnel end to open the hole up, or it will block now and again.

The other thing it to file a bit off the lip of the funnel where it touches the grinder and it will straighten the funnel up for you.

It's looking good

keep calm and grind flat

Looks great

AKA Toffee chips

Just trim a bit off the funnel end to open the hole up, or it will block now and again.

The other thing it to file a bit off the lip of the funnel where it touches the grinder and it will straighten the funnel up for you.

It's looking good

Cheers, I’ve cut the bottom 1.5cm off already I find too big seems to spray the grinds a bit. Not sure where to file at the top as if it goes out forward too much the gap between the chute is too big to fill.

Any other mods worth doing on the single doser Royal or am I done tinkering?

I also have royal myself, haven't looked into the alignment, can anybody give a link, thanks!

I also have royal myself, haven't looked into the alignment, can anybody give a link, thanks!

https://coffeeforums.co.uk/showthread.php?40402-Pimp-my-Major/page6

this is a dial gauge on my major, however it doesn't show

1 using shims of paper between the outside edge of the burr and the carier legs to get the burr central before tightening the screws 1 turn at a time to keep equal pressure

2 Using shims of aluminium foil under the burr to adjust any low spots

3 when you have done the lower burr ink up the burr edge of the upper burr then bring into contact while running 'chirp' gently to find out where the top burr needs adjusting

when I did this on an old Royal I found it needed up to 4 layers of foil to shim it

keep calm and grind flat

1 using shims of paper between the outside edge of the burr and the carier legs to get the burr central before tightening the screws 1 turn at a time to keep equal pressure

3 when you have done the lower burr ink up the burr edge of the upper burr then bring into contact while running 'chirp' gently to find out where the top burr needs adjusting

when I did this on an old Royal I found it needed up to 4 layers of foil to shim it

Many thanks!

Thanks Jimbo. So that was my rock n roll Saturday night sorted! dff7323ba6745d408a34859875e1bee2.jpg

Not sure how successful I was though. I didn’t find any low spots to shim and I’m still finding my espresso range is only 3/4 of a ‘number’ from the chirping point. Having said that, this morning’s round of coffees were great.

__

Home: La Pavoni pre-millenium + Mazzer Major. V60 + MBK Feld2. Work: V60, Aeropress + Wilfa Svart grinder

Thanks Jimbo. So that was my rock n roll Saturday night sorted! dff7323ba6745d408a34859875e1bee2.jpg

Not sure how successful I was though. I didn’t find any low spots to shim and I’m still finding my espresso range is only 3/4 of a ‘number’ from the chirping point. Having said that, this morning’s round of coffees were great.

Nice, I have the Mazzer Stark and did walk against the same problem, do I will follow Your idea!3d896b7b5c3bb032c4b2c19ad10fd475.jpga40862d4db3285a6c427d5c1c5139784.jpgc4d36f987f7f21e8deb40d152cb77fb0.jpg

02-10-16 Eeklo Belgium, I'm on it with my great coffees for the second time <first time!="">

The biggest outside Flea market from Vlaanderen 1400 stands

Sales flap open; 08:00 www.facebook.com/A3koffie < My coffee-trailer >

!! I Love CoffeeForums UK !!

</first>

Hi @3aan - with your mazzer stark running at 900rpm shouldnt it have the 151B burrs and not the 151A ?

keep calm and grind flat

Just another couple of ideas that ive found makes adjusting mazzer grinders easier

1 grease up the threads with chapstick (not too much) as well as where the adjustment wheel presses on the top of the upper burr carrier

2 make a longer adjustment arm to give easier and precise movements

IMG_20190505_193541450.jpg

keep calm and grind flat

Posted (edited)
Hi @3aan - with your mazzer stark running at 900rpm shouldnt it have the 151B burrs and not the 151A ?
I like the grind thats coming out, creamy espresso's

I got 5 of these grinders, wanted one could only buy the bunch!

In my Compak E8 i do have the same 151a

The 151a make considerably less noise, while the grind that they produce is very nice and gives good espresso.

Edited by @3aan

02-10-16 Eeklo Belgium, I'm on it with my great coffees for the second time <first time!="">

The biggest outside Flea market from Vlaanderen 1400 stands

Sales flap open; 08:00 www.facebook.com/A3koffie < My coffee-trailer >

!! I Love CoffeeForums UK !!

</first>

Just another couple of ideas that ive found makes adjusting mazzer grinders easier

1 grease up the threads with chapstick (not too much) as well as where the adjustment wheel presses on the top of the upper burr carrier

2 make a longer adjustment arm to give easier and precise movements

[ATTACH=CONFIG]40245[/ATTACH]

Where did you get the adjustment arm from?

Where did you get the adjustment arm from?

The bunker

Alloy tube B&Q

Threaded bar Toolstation

Araldite - under the sink

small rubber o-ring and washer - I forget ……..possibly Do It All in the 1980's - most B&Q's should have something suitable

if making one the only tricky bit is the edge of the threaded hole in the adjustment ring has a slope to it - so adding a small o ring and washer lets the adjuster feel more solid.

The threaded bar runs through most of the tube to stop it bending and I finished it off with a dome head bolt on the outer end to make it easier to fix in place.

Bit of an experiment but it works :good:

keep calm and grind flat

The bunker

Alloy tube B&Q

Threaded bar Toolstation

Araldite - under the sink

small rubber o-ring and washer - I forget ……..possibly Do It All in the 1980's - most B&Q's should have something suitable

if making one the only tricky bit is the edge of the threaded hole in the adjustment ring has a slope to it - so adding a small o ring and washer lets the adjuster feel more solid.

The threaded bar runs through most of the tube to stop it bending and I finished it off with a dome head bolt on the outer end to make it easier to fix in place.

Bit of an experiment but it works :good:

& there was me thinking you'd just tapped a thread onto a bit of bar.

Laissez les bons temps rouler

making the time machine to go back to Do-it-All in the 1980's was the really tricky bit :whistle:

tapping a bar - Damn ! - slaps forhead

keep calm and grind flat

I took inspiration and made this for mine.

ae2c2035e6c99c25903f6003a822e370.jpg

A prong from an ikea pan drawer organiser with an M5 bolt hammered in with a spring washer.

looks good

keep calm and grind flat

Quick question- I’ve not managed to get the lens hood working as a ‘bopper’ to blow through retained grinds. It collapses when you press on it. All the eBay ones seem to be collapsible to use for telephoto/wide angle. Any tips on how you’ve done it? The fit isn’t great on the major. I think I need a bit of Perspex tubing cut to sit the mouth of the chute. But I still don’t think this would make the ‘bopping’ work.

Thanks

__

Home: La Pavoni pre-millenium + Mazzer Major. V60 + MBK Feld2. Work: V60, Aeropress + Wilfa Svart grinder

Quick question- I’ve not managed to get the lens hood working as a ‘bopper’ to blow through retained grinds. It collapses when you press on it. All the eBay ones seem to be collapsible to use for telephoto/wide angle. Any tips on how you’ve done it? The fit isn’t great on the major. I think I need a bit of Perspex tubing cut to sit the mouth of the chute. But I still don’t think this would make the ‘bopping’ work.

Thanks

Take the lens hood metal ring out and try turning it upside down, if not then you need to sand or grind it down a fraction,

Also need a lid that fits closely,

keep calm and grind flat

Take the lens hood metal ring out and try turning it upside down, if not then you need to sand or grind it down a fraction,

Also need a lid that fits closely,

I think you just like giving me Saturday night homework!

Some moderate success here- the grinding down of the metal ring from the lens hood worked well and now sits snugly inside holding the lens hood firmly in place. I found a glass lid from a Kilner jar fits perfectly as a lid.

My only doubt is how much puffing pressure it generates but I’ll try it in anger tomorrow morning.

As a back up I’ve Blue Petered a well fitting bobber from a small yoghurt pot glued to a plastic ebay piping bottle.

Now I just have to come up with a plausible explanation for the filing noises coming from downstairs late at night. Grinding my lens hood ring sounds like an unfortunate euphemism. c3a388753c900e6d6a04dbc4bed114d6.jpg2e33305ba63583bcdb236b6baf0dcb7c.jpgf8ae7a012e2889e17251be942413bd16.jpg

__

Glad it fits better- the amount of blow depends on how quickly the bellows is pushed - even then its not massive, but it does help

I ended up removing the lower burr carrier and filing and polishing it (apart from the groove the burrs sit in) - I also lightly polished the grinding chamber and shimmed the bearing cover plate to make it level ( need to increase the countersink of the screws a bit to make them flush) the effect of this was to reduce retention down to 0.1g - 0.05g even without the lens hood puffer. Its fiddly to do but made the biggest difference of any mod I made to the Major - Its what Sundays were made for :good:

keep calm and grind flat