Badgerman

Mazzer Royal single dosing mods - safety hopper and autodosing removal

Hi All. Big thanks to @jimbojohn55 and @coffeechap for advising me to go for the Royal flush on deciding to upgrade from my Rossi. [IMG]https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180319/d796158c73d27c51095a4dde8fb4f0b0.jpg[/IMG] [IMG]https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180319/8f6b2f101c6f0871b91b90dab1269135.jpg[/IMG] [IMG]https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180319/eede1f473786452e0348f53fea83d4c2.jpg[/IMG] I picked up a nice one with new ti burrs last night. [IMG]https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180319/6d6cb420ec52d36d60accb4755e8d22f.jpg[/IMG] I’ve only taken the feet off to have a quick look at the circuits in order to remove the hopper safety switch and doser switch wires. Are these obvious from this picture? [IMG]https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180319/d41cb4204574e650c2d1924693a11289.jpg[/IMG][IMG]https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180319/a84dd68c77f22f4cf0e4f72e4d8510ad.jpg[/IMG] There are a lot more wires from when I sorted my Rossi with the same and less threads on modding Royals hence sorry for asking some Newbie Mazzer questions. I think I will go with the Octapus funnel mod in due course, I hear of a doser clean sweep mod, is this the same as those done for SJs? Thanks in advance on any advice before I take it apart to give it a good clean tonight.

yep same sweeper mod as the SJ if you stick with the doser, as for wiring have a look at my pimp my royal thread - wires are same as

looks in great condition - welcome to 83mm ti burr town, worth checking alignment as well :good:

interested to hear if you find a taste difference

keep calm and grind flat

yep same sweeper mod as the SJ if you stick with the doser, as for wiring have a look at my pimp my royal thread - wires are same as

looks in great condition - welcome to 83mm ti burr town worth checking alignment well :good:

interested to hear if you find a taste difference

Thanks all sorted. I just popped the grey wire in with the browns rather than adding bridges. Simples.

What’s the consensus on the Octopus funnel vs doser for single dosing? It looks a big space to fill behind where the doser goes.

My Tamper fits perfectly in the neck of the hopper to stop popcorning. Is the camera hood mod worth it? If so what size do people use for the Royal?

Thanks

the octopus ball funnel is worth doing, but you will need to fill the space behind the funnel with a plate of some sorts, the camera hood mod works but i prefer to single dose so just use a wooden stopper - I'm looking at something else using a central core and 120g weight but its a way off yet

keep calm and grind flat

The camera lens hood mod is totally worth it. Just get a second doser lid and use it to puff out the grinds from the chute. It makes single dosing even easier (no need to brush out grinds from the chute).

For the auto dosing removal , I assume the diagram is the same as this. Just disconnect the ‘lower micro switch’

https://goo.gl/images/j54MV3

I have also added a timer relay for £35 from RS. Others get the auber from Us , which for me is a pain because you need to add the switches as well

Inviato dal mio iPad utilizzando Tapatalk

Edited by Leoluo

QuickMill Rapida, Eureka Zenith 65e, Mazzer Major

Toys: IMS baskets, Atago Refractometer

Ok so done the octopus funnel, just need to sand it down good and proper, but falls nicely with the low rpm. I still get a lot in the shoot sticking so going to do the lens hood.

Is this the right one for a Royal? http:// https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F271395562751

Issue is I use my 58mm tamper as a weight to the beans. Any lens hood that could fit this in a Royal too.

Thanks

Ok so done the octopus funnel, just need to sand it down good and proper, but falls nicely with the low rpm. I still get a lot in the shoot sticking so going to do the lens hood.

Is this the right one for a Royal? https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F271395562751

Issue is I use my 58mm tamper as a weight to the beans. Any lens hood that could fit this in a Royal too.

Thanks

Yep that's the one but you will need a different weight or 57mm tamper or just try single dosing and brush out the chute with a pastry brush then run the grinder again for just a moment and the rest of the grind in the chamber will come out.

I don't use a weight, just a lid - but I'm looking into a central spindle and weight thing to try out in the long term

keep calm and grind flat

[quote name='jimbojohn55']Yep that's the one but you will need a different weight or 57mm tamper or just try single dosing and brush out the chute with a pastry brush then run the grinder again for just a moment and the rest of the grind in the chamber will come out. I don't use a weight, just a lid - but I'm looking into a central spindle and weight thing to try out in the long term[/QUOTE] Brill thanks @jimbojohn55. Will get it then. How do you stop popcorning with a lens’s hood? What do people use as lens hood lids? Seen custard powder to Lego as options!

Brill thanks @jimbojohn55. Will get it then. How do you stop popcorning with a lens’s hood?

What do people use as lens hood lids? Seen custard powder to Lego as options!

Buy a lathe :drink:

keep calm and grind flat

Buy a lathe :drink:
Would have to be a veey small lathe to use it as a lid!

Laissez les bons temps rouler

:secret: Or buy a compressor and use an airline to blow it all out. ;) 15bar and 10,000 cubic metres a second should do it. A small lathe sitting on top of the grinder might be difficult to mount.

Different model Mazzer grinder and doserless but I am using a lens hood at the moment and weighing beans in. I use a weight over the beans which does stop a lot of the popcorning when they are used like this. Only problem is that after the beans seem to have been ground there will be some smallish fraction of a gram on the ledge the weight sits on so have to remove and brush those in. The few bits take a fraction of a second to grind then puff with the grinder running. The weight sits low enough to allow the puffer to still function. I just cover the lens hood with my hand. ;) Then brush out the grinds in the outlet. If that isn't done they build up. If the grill on the outlet isn't removed lots get trapped over time and may pop out. Result - most of the time what went in matches what comes out and some within 0.1g. For some reason the first one in the morning may be 0.2g low and output changes a bit when the setting is changed.

A lot of faffing about. Some one on here uses a tube hopper with a weight on top of the beans. If it works this seems to be a better idea but the grill will need replacing and some grinds wasted each day to get rid of stale ones. That is what I am going to try next. Then I should be able to use the timer to set the dose.

John

-

In Use Sage DB+IMS Shower Screen, Niche. Profitec T64. Others Sage BE, Mazer Mini A, Ceado 37J. Projects Little Gem, Gaggia M7D

:pToo many filter baskets - maybe. For sale when I get round to it. Robur Elect, Ceado 37J, Ascaso i_1,Piccino

Speaking of lens hoods, I got the recommended wide angle one for my SJ. You take out the metal ring and push it on over the throat. However, I don't find this the best solution because:

- it's quite floppy and doesn't give you a good puff

- it doesn't spring back to open after you push it down, it stays down

- you can't easily get your whole palm over it so it's airtight.

Only advantage I can see is it's wider so easier to pour beans in.

My preferred solution for the SJ which has a 60mm inside diameter to the throat is to use a 49mm wide angle lens hood. The rubber part is 74mm at the top and 60mm at the bottom where it fits over the metal ring. So it pushes nicely inside the throat, and being rubber is airtight. Advantages are

- you can fit your palm comfortably over it

- it's more robust and automatically springs back to open so you can puff a few times

- it gives a better puff.

Only disadvantage is it's narrower, but since it works a lot better I'm not bothered. My own one is just marked Japan, no make. I believe Kood do one new but there are loads of second hand collapsible rubber hoods about. You want the wide angle one - the standard one is just 67mm wide at the top. It no doubt works, just a bit narrower, and haven't tried it. I also believe the 52mm wide angle could work. The crucial bit is making sure the OD of the rubber bit is 60mm at the bottom. You really need a guy with a calipers to check.

The above is for the Super Jolly. Just scale it up for a wider throat, but the principle is the same - the hood goes inside the throat together with its ring, not outside.

Gaggia Baby 2002 and 2005, Mazzer Major, Motta 58.4mm tamper

Hi All. Deciding what to do next on my Royal. I have got a quote from local garage of around £45+VAT to strip the shell and powder coat. It’s been painted (badly) as per pics. Will this get the smooth finish or anything else I or they need to do?

I was hoping for gloss black coat (to match my bread and smoothie maker) is this ok wear/dust wise or would Matt black be hardier.

I have not taken the case off from memory when I did the above. Any tips?

Thanks

Firstly be careful how they remove the paint, as if they shot blast it the case will suffer some putting! Gloss black will be fine and it looks so much nicer when done correctly. I guess you already know how to get the motor out?

AKA Toffee chips

Firstly be careful how they remove the paint, as if they shot blast it the case will suffer some putting! Gloss black will be fine and it looks so much nicer when done correctly. I guess you already know how to get the motor out?

They said they would chemically strip to bare metal. I guess they are used to repairing damage (on alloys) if there is under the spray paint.

2d99f9b486c1b42b69a14994de90892c.jpg

2aa0c7df4337083db1c0d32a111216ad.jpg

I took it apart last year to rewire so will search on here how to remove case. Might have a practice before commit with garage.

It’s easy to get it apart and to can still use it out of the case! The chemical strip is perfect and should get rid of the gouges as they don’t usually get deep enough to Damage the metal, however if the garage are used to doing wheels they should be able to fill them easily enough

AKA Toffee chips

Great thanks. Will take it apart this weekend and if ok drop it in next week.

I was also looking at the Auber timer as per a few threads, but not sure why this would be a lot better for my set up.

I weigh ~37gm of beans and grind the lot into a ramekin, puff and brush it all. I then weigh out 18.0g into my portafiller with Norbin funnel and pull a shot. I then clean portafiller and weigh out 18.0g for second cup and wash up 1gm or so of coffee from ramekin. If I am always doing 2 cups what’s the benefit of a timer that you need to re-weigh to get it accurate for pulling and change timer as beans change? Or am I missing a trick for single dosing timer?

Thanks

The auber tuner is superfluous if you are single dosing, save your money. They come into their own if you are running a hopper with beans in it

Edited by coffeechap

AKA Toffee chips

I’ve got an auber fitted to mine with a bean hopper. You do have to change the timing every time you adjust the grind or change the bean. But once it’s dialled in its brilliant.

As CC said if you’re single dosing there’s no real need for an Auber

Sage DB; Mazzer Major; VST 15g, 18g & 20g Baskets;TORR Trapez & Perger Tamper

Had a few of my coffee machine bits powder coated whilst I had my alloy wheels in.

If they are used to doing wheels they will fill in any gauges and repair before coating.

Just picked up my gloss black powder coated Royal. Looks so good. A lot better than the pictures show.

I made some forks with some left over ikea pan hooks. Great for my single dosing set up.

Had the back plate painted with the case.

Even did an jimbojohn and polished the underside plate!

Love it.

7de6e57bc7d73ddca80af42ef52daa02.jpg02cf444f55793a9996247660e60dba5a.jpg2f7e964a670db8220c82511e7a94efd2.jpg6a4a8d6689b41eb9212e2f76331ebc30.jpg3e524398b9db94b31949f9719ca3d402.jpgf9b6a59aa3b3cbf3bfa9bc345dcdc3f2.jpgffeff0167e679b75caaf6afde90e6698.jpg