Coffee Forums banner

Dialling in margins of error - pourover and espresso

1K views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  johnbudding 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
Hello everyone. I'm finding myself drawn more to pourovers these days, often leaving the espresso machine off of a morning and having a couple of V60s before heading out. I like savouring the coffee for a bit longer, and seem to have started cutting back on the milky drinks too.

I'm currently considering moving away from espresso, selling the machine and grinder, and buying myself a gooseneck and different grinder (hey, I can always go back later!)

One thing I really enjoy about coffee is swapping between beans and trying new coffees. Please excuse what's probably a very basic question, but I want to check... is it easier to dial in a grinder to single dose a few different beans for pourover than it is with an espresso machine? i.e. are the margins a bit more forgiving?

Also, I'm currently using a Sette 270W grinder for espresso, but it's too fine for pourovers. Any recommendations on good grinders in the £300-400 region? I'd considered getting a Niche, but still a bit uncomfortable investing that much in a product that hasn't been mass produced yet (although I'm aware of the personnel's credentials). Two things I like about the Niche are the cover all (so I wouldn't need to reinvest in a grinder if I decided on another 'spro machine) and the aesthetic/floor space (to keep my wife happy!).

Any expertise and wisdom from you all would be much appreciated! Thanks.

See less See more
#2 ·
johnbudding said:
H

I'm currently considering moving away from espresso, selling the machine and grinder, and buying myself a gooseneck and different grinder (hey, I can always go back later!)

One thing I really enjoy about coffee is swapping between beans and trying new coffees. Please excuse what's probably a very basic question, but I want to check... is it easier to dial in a grinder to single dose a few different beans for pourover than it is with an espresso machine? i.e. are the margins a bit more forgiving?

Like you i moved away from home based espresso a while ago, haven't really regretted it since.

Yes grind can be more forgiving in pour overs ( IMHO )

Grinders , depends on size, A wilfa , A Vario with Steel based burrs, If you have the size then some bulk grinders can be got for that budget and will rock.

I use a Hausgrind now ( hand grinder ) and really enjoy my filer coffee at home.

#3 ·
johnbudding said:
Please excuse what's probably a very basic question, but I want to check... is it easier to dial in a grinder to single dose a few different beans for pourover than it is with an espresso machine? i.e. are the margins a bit more forgiving?.
I don't think the margins are really any more, or less, forgiving. Espresso needs a finer grind, this is perhaps harder to achieve single dosing without a grinder with an auger, or a full hopper of beans. The grind quality from manual & electric grinders between £100 & £200 is adequate for decent pourovers, you may need to spend more than your budget to get significant gains over those.

Because pourover needs a coarser grind & because you can tweak the brew time with altering pour technique, once dialled in for your chosen brewer & brew weights, you're pretty much done (although you can still fine tune if needed).

#4 ·
Thanks both, really helpful and informative replies.

I wonder whether it would be worth getting a Wilfa Svart and essentially starting my journey all over again, but in pourover. Perhaps it would be a decent idea to get the Svart and look at the Niche towards to back end of the year.

#6 ·
MWJB said:
Before I sold/bought anything, I'd exhaust the possibilities of the grinder you have.

If you're making large V60 brews the Sette might be limited (I don't know), but if you're making 1 mug brews, it might be feasible?
Thanks. I've given the Sette a few goes on V60 at the coarsest possible setting, but the pour over times have been really long so I'm not holding out much hope. Google doesn't seem to bring up shining reviews on that front either.

#7 ·
johnbudding said:
Thanks. I've given the Sette a few goes on V60 at the coarsest possible setting, but the pour over times have been really long so I'm not holding out much hope. Google doesn't seem to bring up shining reviews on that front either.
I bought a Sette 270W for pour over with a V60 as a step up from a Skerton Pro and it ground too fine. Added the brew burr and a little run in time and it now works very well for the V60. Added a Kalita Wave 185 that needs an even courser grind. Depending on the beans 3 to 4 minutes for 320 ml and getting faster with more use. I have some room to go courser if needed. The burr is quick and very easy to change out. The hard part is the shipping time from Baratza. My results were so good I added a Rocket R58 and Fausto grinder... If you want a superb great handling goose neck with extreme build and looks check out Monarch Methods.

#8 ·
u2u said:
I bought a Sette 270W for pour over with a V60 as a step up from a Skerton Pro and it ground too fine. Added the brew burr and a little run in time and it now works very well for the V60. Added a Kalita Wave 185 that needs an even courser grind. Depending on the beans 3 to 4 minutes for 320 ml and getting faster with more use. I have some room to go courser if needed. The burr is quick and very easy to change out. The hard part is the shipping time from Baratza. My results were so good I added a Rocket R58 and Fausto grinder... If you want a superb great handling goose neck with extreme build and looks check out Monarch Methods.
Interesting. I'll investigate the brew burr a little more, thanks. A shop local to me uses the MM gooseneck, it's certainly a work of art!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.