So happily the old seals were installed correctly but, compared to the new ones, were clearly squashed and degraded - even though they had seen little use I guess they have been constrained in the brew chamber for a couple of years. The brew chamber was perfect condition as was the brew group, but they were clearly the original seals as no evidence of previous ones being cut off.

Thankfully B.B. sent me a small pot of the right grease. I have followed Patrick’s video and the machine is now reassembled and heating up - time will tell if it is fixed but seems very positive.

Here is the finished job - the seals splay out much more than the old ones:

c26fb36492bc540962515293d93fa6ae.jpg

I did come up with a very helpful tool to help side on the seals, which might help others - in place of Patrick’s “two bits of sturdy wire” I trimmed the sides off a takeaway curry container (from Ahmed’s Curry Cafe, if anyone would like to replicate completely!!) and the resultant flat but of plastic was almost the perfect size and the gaskets just slid straight on.

087b3e8d1afaa4b69506ce2c16b6202e.jpg

In Patrick’s vid there was an American (?) bloke asking questions and he suggested he warmed the seals in water. I did this and dried them well and that really helped also.

So now the machine is ticking away nicely in the corner again.

There was no white plastic ring in your finished product photo! I take it you did fit it right?!

LR - EK43S; Ceado E37S; Aergrind; Comandante MK3 - Syphon & V60 - patience

lovely! I am thinking, this might also increase the brew pressure slightly compared to the old worn ones

The peculiarity of espresso beverage is the simultaneous presence of three dispersed phases coexisting within a matrix, namely a concentrated solution of salts, acids, sugars, caffeine and many other hydrophilic substances. These phases are: an emulsion of oil droplets, a suspension of solid particles and an effervescence of gas bubbles, which evolves into a foam.

MildredM's towels, joey24dirt's tamper, Norvin's dosing ring, Portaspresso Rossa PG Air and HC-P, Kinu M68, Feld47 travel, Aergrind, Bellman steamer, IMS baskets, Hario Syphon TC3, Java Maestro dripper, Chemex, French press, Gnali & Zani moka pot, Bonavita kettle & scales, BWT Bestmax Premium

There was no white plastic ring in your finished product photo! I take it you did fit it right?!

Haha - yes - I am 99.9% certain that I did :) I just took the photo too early in the process and forgot to take a later one. I must confess I had to rack my brain when posting as to whether I could remember a clean white ring being installed, but I am fairly sure I can and it doesn’t seem to be in the bin!!

lovely! I am thinking, this might also increase the brew pressure slightly compared to the old worn ones

I am hoping so - in the days before the seals went I noticed my max shot out volume was down to 30g, which didn’t worry me as current running 15g in 29g out but now I know to read the signs of impending doom!

Huge difference in the old and new seals. I wonder if the old seals had stuck to the wall of the group and damaged an edge

You should feel a difference in the lever when you pull the next shot

a grinder a lever and some beans

Working like a charm! Incredibly easy service.

Lever now grabs a little sooner (I was expecting a greater change) but output volume is massively increased. First shot was too coarse so I just let it run:

e743e3aea86bc07ff5a4e563bd63ac41.jpg

This opens me up to experimenting with much longer ratios and, TBH this 1:3 shot tasted far more balanced that the 1:sub-2 i had been playing around with for these beans.

great!

guess that if using a triple (20-25g) basket you wouldn't have to remove the cup, making it effectively a volumetric machine :D

The peculiarity of espresso beverage is the simultaneous presence of three dispersed phases coexisting within a matrix, namely a concentrated solution of salts, acids, sugars, caffeine and many other hydrophilic substances. These phases are: an emulsion of oil droplets, a suspension of solid particles and an effervescence of gas bubbles, which evolves into a foam.

MildredM's towels, joey24dirt's tamper, Norvin's dosing ring, Portaspresso Rossa PG Air and HC-P, Kinu M68, Feld47 travel, Aergrind, Bellman steamer, IMS baskets, Hario Syphon TC3, Java Maestro dripper, Chemex, French press, Gnali & Zani moka pot, Bonavita kettle & scales, BWT Bestmax Premium

I find that the bite point doesn't change that much with old and new seals, more the feel of the bite point is smoother with new seals.

Edit : but if you have more water now, the bite point should be lower unless water was escaping to the top of the piston ... maybe ?

a grinder a lever and some beans

Glad you have sorted It out. :)

Londinium I / Monolith Conical / Macap MC4 / Cormorant CR600 Roaster

Great read, glad you got it sorted, well impressed with the knowledge and support from people on this forum it’s a pleasure to see so much expertise so informally and freely given. Props to B.B. too for their service

Head down, boogying, in a mindless, no-nonsense sort of way...

Sage Dual Boiler, Sage Smart Grinder Pro, techno-wok roaster