So this has started happening today.

Constant dripping from where the top and bottom parts of the group connect. Changes to a flood when i cock the lever!

Have tried loosening and nipping up the four Allen bolts, but hasn’t improved things.

Do I need to strip down and replace the seals?

http://

I remember seeing a thread that mentioned this about a month ago. Cant remember the fix though so that's no help to you at all !

a grinder a lever and some beans

Thanks for confirming this problem is definitely a thing though!!

Any idea who helped diagnose?

Having researched a bit, I can see @The Systemic Kid has a fair bit of knowledge on piston seals!!??

Not relevant to problem.

Edited by El carajillo

If the Veloce's group is same as that fitted to Bosco and Londinium, guess it's a piston seal fail. There isn't any seal where the group bolts to the head. Remove the four hex bolts and then remove the piston/spring assembly and check the piston seals. Bella barista sell them.

Londinium-R - EKS43 running SSP Silver Knight burrs

@rob177palmer - when removing the hex bolts do so diagonally. Undo any bolt a small amount and then go to its diagonal opposite. The group is brass and it's important that it doesn't get warped - diagonal undoing will ensure you don't cause any problems. Make sure you are undoing, i.e. turning anti-clockwise - it appears as if you are tightening because the bolt is upside down. When re-tightening the bolts - repeat as above, i.e. tighten bit at a time for each bolt in diagonal rotation. Don't over-tighten or you will strip the thread - easy to do as it's brass. Remember, it's the piston seals that keep the water in the chamber - not the bolts which is why there isn't a gasket between the piston/spring assembly and the group head.

Thanks Patrick. And noted on the overtorquing

I will get on to B.B. on Monday and get the replacements ordered. Till then I presume there is no “make do” mend I can perform?

Wish I had foreseen this - I was planning on shipping over the Cafelat gasket set - presumably these still aren’t available for sale in UK?

How old are the seals in your Veloce? When they're passed their sell by, they become brittle which is why you're seeing water escaping where the group is bolted. You'll be losing a fair amount of pressure so don't recommend using the machine until the seals have been replaced.

I fitted a set of Cafelat to my previous LI and was pleased with the results. That said, other users reported some problems. Think Cafelat have made some subtle changes to resolve this.

Thought I would open her up to have a look....obviously the brew chamber was full of water....didn’t think of that - glad the acaia scales are waterproof!!163442ca2754a3a57b73fafda8dd1fa0.jpg

Interestingly it smells a little rank inside the brew chamber. I haven’t whipped he shower screen off the clean behind yet, so looks like I should have done this within the last 3 weeks of brewing

Is it normal for the white plastic to be cracked?9ced293b7b80f8ac7f4dbf47b5ea1521.jpg

No obvious obvious cracking of the black seals, but all new to me!

Yes perfectly normal

AKA Toffee chips

It isn't cracked - has to be split so it can fit over piston barrel. Be careful removing it to avoid breaking.

Thank you kindly.

Have found Systemic’s piston seal changing lecture from Rave in 2016 so will watch that to get the hints on hanging these out

When you prize off the seals, they might feel quite stiff, i.e. have lost their elasticity which is why they are letting water get past in the piston chamber.

Seals look wrongly configured, top and middle look right but the bottom looks upside down it should be groove down and looks groove up

AKA Toffee chips

I remember seeing a thread that mentioned this about a month ago. Cant remember the fix though so that's no help to you at all !

This happened to my L1 a little while ago - might have been my thread you saw. Problem solved by putting new seals on

Londinium L1 | Compak E8

time for the cafelat seals :)

The peculiarity of espresso beverage is the simultaneous presence of three dispersed phases coexisting within a matrix, namely a concentrated solution of salts, acids, sugars, caffeine and many other hydrophilic substances. These phases are: an emulsion of oil droplets, a suspension of solid particles and an effervescence of gas bubbles, which evolves into a foam.

MildredM's towels, joey24dirt's tamper, Norvin's dosing ring, Portaspresso Rossa PG Air and HC-P, Kinu M68, Feld47 travel, Aergrind, Bellman steamer, IMS baskets, Hario Syphon TC3, Java Maestro dripper, Chemex, French press, Gnali & Zani moka pot, Bonavita kettle & scales, BWT Bestmax Premium

Did you not just buy this machine from BB in the last fortnight? Amazed it has failed so soon, and would presume they would have provided some form of warranty?

Seals look wrongly configured, top and middle look right but the bottom looks upside down it should be groove down and looks groove up

Is this the groove you mean?

5fd04ede512e67c14463ecd5c4c5c2aa.jpg

Yes - 3 weeks old so hopefully BB will sort it for me. Sadly don’t think the stock cafelat and I will need them ASAP next week so doubt I’m going to be able to get them shipped to me in time!

Speak to B.B if they haven’t got them let me know

AKA Toffee chips

a good video on changing the seals and their orientation

The peculiarity of espresso beverage is the simultaneous presence of three dispersed phases coexisting within a matrix, namely a concentrated solution of salts, acids, sugars, caffeine and many other hydrophilic substances. These phases are: an emulsion of oil droplets, a suspension of solid particles and an effervescence of gas bubbles, which evolves into a foam.

MildredM's towels, joey24dirt's tamper, Norvin's dosing ring, Portaspresso Rossa PG Air and HC-P, Kinu M68, Feld47 travel, Aergrind, Bellman steamer, IMS baskets, Hario Syphon TC3, Java Maestro dripper, Chemex, French press, Gnali & Zani moka pot, Bonavita kettle & scales, BWT Bestmax Premium

BB have kindly sent me replacement standard seals - 24 hours between reporting the issue and the parts arriving so pretty pleased with that.

Didn’t realise seals could go so catastrophically on a lever, so will order some spare cafelat piston seals and a couple of group gaskets as the standard rubber one seems to strongly resist locking the PF.

Aiming to install tomorrow so will report back once everything up and running.

Cheers for the help so far

Have you got the right grease Rob? I work in Bristol and have done this job a few times now so give me a shout if you get stuck. My initial thought was wrongly installed seals - they should be “down up down” with respect to groove orientation - I think yours are right but difficult to say with the bottom one which looks a bit squished. Old stock lever mech maybe? New seals should see you right though.

Do watch Patrick’s video, all you need to know!