CMax

Sage Oracle vs Oracle Touch

Hi to all, I’m new to the forum.

ive got the go ahead to buy the Sage Oracle which I’ve been wanting to buy for over a year.

i also have one shot to get it right due to the amount of money involved.:time-out:

Now there is the Oracle Sage Touch and I’m well and truly stuck. Do I go with the machine I’ve looking at for over a year (Oracle), or go with the new kid on the block (Oracle Touch)?

Thing is I’m trying to establish whether the extra £500 buys you any better components or is it purely the touch screen?

My head say £500 is not worth paying to get the touch screen but I can be an impulse buyer at times.

Has anyone got experience of both machines?

btw, I’m a relative novice in the home espresso world.

Hi

it's unlikely that anyone will have had both. I suspect little has been done to the grinder which was it's weak point.

It you want to programme loads of drinks in then that's fine. Wouldnt be for me, but it's not aimed at me.

Try this link

[video=youtube;-rnehh3mETM]

I write a blog, it's nothing to do with coffee ...

https://rjwinc.wordpress.com

Instagram - rjw_inc

Hello and welcome to the forum :)

It sounds exciting! My advice would be to thoroughly read up, go try both machines, and go with your gut instinct. If you are spending a lot of money you want to be really happy with your choice, not wonder if you should have bought a different machine.

Have you looked at any other machines/grinders at all?

2019 L-R with hand turned Thuya burr handles and toggles / 1998 La Pavoni / Monolith Titan Flat & Conical, MAX Flat on order  / HG-1 / Kalita wave / Stag kettle / OCD / Joey Skateboard Handle Pullman Big Step & matching stirrer / Wenge Handle Lev Tamp / Push Tamper / Puqpress / 15g & 18g vst / IMS 35μM / LDT / Barista Gear Titanium 12oz pitchers / LW Bean Cellars & Caddy / Decent thermometer / Acme Evo 150ml cups / Espazzola / Hottop / embroidered by me bar towels / in the cellars: Steampunk, North Star, Foundry, The Barn, HasBean, Coffee Compass / 6 gorgeous guineas / a dog / a very lovely husband 

I bought an oracle recently (dont have it any more, different story) but did all the reasearch possible. Inside they are identical so for my money the touch was a waste of money as I didn’t see the £600 value in the interface

R58, Niche (midnight black), IMS screen, VST Basket, Acaia Pearl, Torr GF, Feldgrind, V60, Kalita 185 and loads of other stuff I probably don't need :)

My head say £500 is not worth paying to get the touch screen but I can be an impulse buyer at times.

btw, I’m a relative novice in the home espresso world.

Hi, I have an Oracle (non touch), it's saved me a whole lot of effort as my wife and eldest daughter now make their own coffee!

With decent beans I've found that it produces a very reasonable espresso, the auto grind, tamp and milk steaming feature make the whole process simple, quick and almost mess free even making Latte or Cappuccino. The steamer produces reasonable micro foam and the only constraint on latte art appears to be my own incompetence.

I've had numerous machines and grinders, the Oracle doesn't match some of them in the cup, I suspect this is down to the grinder being at the lower end of what's available and nothing to do with the other bits of the machine, however, it doesn't require the same degree of precision to get a decent shot with the Oracle which may be ideal if you're a novice and don't want to spend much time exploring the rabbit hole and subsequent warren of espresso fundementalism .

The Oracle is a lot of money which it's worth to me for the convenience (with a price match rather than at full rrp), if you want to extract the very best rather than one of the most convenient espresso's then, for the same money and buying used, you could get a fantastic set up which would possibly last a lifetime (spend more on the grinder than the machine is the mantra and the Oracle ignores that).

My sense is that my Oracle will last a few years before ending up in a landfill, however, I bought it from Lakeland so if for any reason it complicates my life over the next three years it will be going back for a full refund, I'd recommend if you buy an Oracle buy it from Lakeland for their satisfaction guarantee alone (they will pricematch too) plus their customer service is exceptional.

I could have bought the touch model but decided that, as the grinder sets the ceiling of what's possible, there was no point spending the extra money for the same end result because the grinder is probably the same or very similar in both models (I don't know that for sure).

If I was starting out and wasn't prioritising convenience I wouldn't buy the Oracle, I'd buy an excellent grinder and a used HX or dual boiler machine just to see what's possible and to enjoy the process before buying an Oracle when I was sick of making coffee for other people :)

Bezzera Strega & Niche Zero

I have the touch and am happy with it.

Yes, I could have gone cheaper and could have gone for the basic(!) Oracle but I've just had my kitchen done, I have two kids and a wife who have no interest ini the finer points of coffee making but the wife loves decent coffee. I bought sight unseen - essentially trusting the internet hype and 3 months later am still happy. On reflection I probably could have got away with the lower spec, non-screen version but both my 5 and 7 year old can make a decent coffee, they are able to foam milk for hot chocolate and when people come over its a real conversation piece.

I will point out that about 1 in 15 shots has a poor tamp applied to it but a simple job to fix using my old tamper. Other than that, I genuinely cannot fault the machine but yes, you do pay for the touch screen!

Thanks for all the responses so far, love all the viewpoints.

I must try and find a stockist who have both versions to try side by side.

Im intrigued by the buy the best grinder, then get a machine comment.

Essentially I want an all in one machine, the wife wouldn’t want multiple device cluttering her kitchen;)

A must have is the milk frother for the wife’s hot chocolate and my and the daughters latte.

Years ago I had a regular Gaggia which I hated because of the single boiler (stuff getting cold), therefore a dual boiler is my starting point.

Also, I’ve looked at cheaper fully automatics and I haven’t found one that I like sub £1000.

The Oracle looks nice as well, more like a coffee shop machine!!

is there something similar but better than the Oracle at the similar price point, I really don’t know and would love to hear opinions.

btw, I’m not really into buying 2nd hand but will if it’s a compelling package.

Out of interest, my Family & some visiting friends use my Oracle very easily on a daily basis.

To give me a different slant I also have an EK 43 which I use for a more refined result when required.

Well into my second year with the Oracle & its meeting all my needs without faltering.

Like so many others have said would rather have seen a new Oracle with a better grinder rather than the Touch.

Ron 

Like Ronsil I have an alternative grinder which I use with the Oracle when I want to refine the process, this route it offers a very good balance with either an almost bean to cup or a more involved espresso experience.

Thanks for all the responses so far, love all the viewpoints.

I must try and find a stockist who have both versions to try side by side.

Im intrigued by the buy the best grinder, then get a machine comment.

Essentially I want an all in one machine, the wife wouldn’t want multiple device cluttering her kitchen;)

A must have is the milk frother for the wife’s hot chocolate and my and the daughters latte.

Years ago I had a regular Gaggia which I hated because of the single boiler (stuff getting cold), therefore a dual boiler is my starting point.

Also, I’ve looked at cheaper fully automatics and I haven’t found one that I like sub £1000.

The Oracle looks nice as well, more like a coffee shop machine!!

is there something similar but better than the Oracle at the similar price point, I really don’t know and would love to hear opinions.

btw, I’m not really into buying 2nd hand but will if it’s a compelling package.

If you want something the whole family can use and predominantly for milk drinks get an oracle.

I write a blog, it's nothing to do with coffee ...

https://rjwinc.wordpress.com

Instagram - rjw_inc

I gave Sage UK consumer support a call and asked whether there are any main component differences between the Oracle & Touch (i.e. boiler, grinder, etc).

The chap didn’t sound quite convincing but he suggested the difference being the technology of the touch screen, all the espresso machine components are the same.

That's what I expected , the non touch is easy to use so I suggest saving yourself some money and if you are sold on an Oracle buy the non touch model.

That's what I expected , the non touch is easy to use so I suggest saving yourself some money and if you are sold on an Oracle buy the non touch model.

Roger that:good:

Thanks very much

Is the Oracle basically a DB with a built-in grinder and a bit more programming? Or are there more significant differences?

Head down, boogying, in a mindless, no-nonsense sort of way...

Sage Dual Boiler, Sage Smart Grinder Pro, techno-wok roaster

Is the Oracle basically a DB with a built-in grinder and a bit more programming? Or are there more significant differences?

built in grinder, automatic dosing and tamping, automatic milk texturing and programmable buttons

R58, Niche (midnight black), IMS screen, VST Basket, Acaia Pearl, Torr GF, Feldgrind, V60, Kalita 185 and loads of other stuff I probably don't need :)

Cool thanks, didn't realise it had the auto-tamper I should have looked it into a bit more - it was way over budget though so didn't want to distract myself :)

Head down, boogying, in a mindless, no-nonsense sort of way...

Sage Dual Boiler, Sage Smart Grinder Pro, techno-wok roaster

Cool thanks, didn't realise it had the auto-tamper I should have looked it into a bit more - it was way over budget though so didn't want to distract myself :)

tbh the auto tamp is a bit hit and miss from my experience and actually was faulty on mine hence I sent it back.

Gotta say again, - had my Oracle for two years now & it simply does its job. Never a problem.

Will never be the greatest machine on the planet but for the money you'd be hard put to find its equal.

Ron 

Gotta say again, - had my Oracle for two years now & it simply does its job. Never a problem.

Will never be the greatest machine on the planet but for the money you'd be hard put to find its equal.

wish mine worked that well as I really wanted to love it but just found it frustrating

Well here the update.

i went to John Lewis Oxford Street to view the Oracle & Touch.

A Sage Barista was demonstrating the Touch and after 45 mins of discussing both machines I ended up placing an order there and then for a touch. We’ve had it a few days now and I really like the machine. The steam wand is really great for a beginner but I can see an experienced barista may not love the fact they are not in full control.

let the fun begin!

You'll be happy - I've had mine since December and its not made a bad cup yet. Grind is set to 25-27 depending on age of beans and a double shot comes out in 30 sec.

My Oracle arrived yesterday & in the interests of a good nights sleep I only had 2 double espressos out of it yesterday :-) I have a black one & the external build quality is impressive. I have not dialed it in 100% yet & a double shot was 6g short but wow. I got a great deal at £1000 new but if you have the money I would at the moment suggest shopping around at full price is ok.

My Oracle arrived yesterday & in the interests of a good nights sleep I only had 2 double espressos out of it yesterday :-) I have a black one & the external build quality is impressive. I have not dialed it in 100% yet & a double shot was 6g short but wow. I got a great deal at £1000 new but if you have the money I would at the moment suggest shopping around at full price is ok.

Wow, £1000. That is an amazing price!!

where did you get it from?

@AndyGBarton £1000 for a new Oracle is a great price, where did you buy it at that price please?