Missy

Servicing the cherub

As you all know, I'm immensely technically competent... But I've decided there are a couple of bits wanting doing to my new cherub. First it looks like the hot water tap has taken a knock at some point (it's not working, which is apparently the washer, but there's a bit of evidence of historic leaking at the joints)

I really fancy wooden knobs too.

I've been in touch with Fracino, who suggested it should be returned to them for a service. I suspect that will be expensive and be not much more than a descale and clean, which I *could* do - if I had the water tap working!

I also noted the classico has lovely wooden levers for steam and water, and wondered about, if stuff needs replacing anyway, whether I could get replaced with those instead?

Seems impossible to get a price for spares from Fracino, or details of anyone local as a recommended service agent.

I was planning on fluttering my eyelashes at Joey24dirt when it was a quick washer job... But now I want more doing... And I'm already frightened I might be named in his divorce for selling him the Oscar which is a big project itself. So anyone know anyone in the north who would service a cherub and switch some parts out. Or the cost of the parts so I can make a plan as to whether to get knobs made or pay for new levers?

Did someone say coffee?

:Gaggia Classic--> Nuova Simonelli Oscar--> fracino Cherub:Mazzer SuperJolly:Hario V60+aeropress+french press:

The machine...

the hideous knob,

the lid screw hole above the hot water tap, I cannot get the screw back in even with pulling as there's been some bending of the frame I suspect.

The joint behind the hot water tap... Further down is similar at the other joints, sort of a bit white and crusty and green copper, as contrasted with behind the steam, which is pristine.65d2d62de1eafa1d61270f6f33e0e469.jpg3d804bfeb08564d397b6139f68859583.jpg5e4ee5c1b11452e4bd02f2438ca0b105.jpg74ff1bbe675999d6b6f34c5f7f7db21b.jpg2d079a14df691ef64dbe4c31504496cd.jpg

Did someone say coffee?

:Gaggia Classic--> Nuova Simonelli Oscar--> fracino Cherub:Mazzer SuperJolly:Hario V60+aeropress+french press:

Missy, I can remember in order to line up the front left screw hole, I put the others in first but not tightly, then simply pulled the water tap towards me till it lined up. I have had to do this on a few machines so do not think the frame is bent, more likely the holes just not cut to alignment properly. If you click the link and scroll down a little there are some Yorkshire based engineers

https://www.liminicoffee.co.uk/espresso_machine_repair.html

Sue Langdon

[email protected]

Normally comes back within 24 hours with details and prices on all spares, most of which are pretty good value. A full service which includes most parts(there is a list of things doesn’t include)and fixing some problems is £180 quid including vat, not cheap unless your hitting every covered problem!

Sue Langdon

[email protected]

Normally comes back within 24 hours with details and prices on all spares, most of which are pretty good value. A full service which includes most parts(there is a list of things doesn’t include)and fixing some problems is £180 quid including vat, not cheap unless your hitting every covered problem!

Yeh I emailed sue, who passed me on...

Did someone say coffee?

Missy, I can remember in order to line up the front left screw hole, I put the others in first but not tightly, then simply pulled the water tap towards me till it lined up. I have had to do this on a few machines so do not think the frame is bent, more likely the holes just not cut to alignment properly. If you click the link and scroll down a little there are some Yorkshire based engineers

https://www.liminicoffee.co.uk/espresso_machine_repair.html

Thanks. I did also suspect it may be just not quite aligned, it's a very strange machine, some parts are obviously really well engineered and thought through, then others seem to be " what we found out the back"

So the sides etc are beautiful as is the very sturdy (if oddly shallow) drip tray, then really really naff knobs, and a repurposed sweet jar for a water tank. So a slightly askew lid wouldn't surprise me.

I'm a bit too young to remember British manufacture of cars... But it's how I imagine them to be built!

Did someone say coffee?

I am going to the factory on Wednesday, I shall ask if there is an alternative for the knobs......
Thank you! I've made contact with a couple of local engineers, just waiting to hear back from them.

Did someone say coffee?

A service on them is pretty straight forward to be honest. Descale is the biggest job but that is mostly just time consuming although as you say you obviously need the water working first.......

A service on them is pretty straight forward to be honest. Descale is the biggest job but that is mostly just time consuming although as you say you obviously need the water working first.......
Yeah it's really the bit that needs spanners and a new valve I need help with. I can clean and descale myself.

Did someone say coffee?

I'm always willing to help if I can, it's just timescales for the turnaround. Definitely wouldn't be quick. I've got a lovely oscar I could loan in the mean time.......

Home - Nuova Simonelli MAC2000 V, La Pavoni, Compak e8, Niche Zero, IMS & VST baskets, IMS shower screen, skateboard torr, MildredM bar towels

@SkateReclaimCreate

I'm always willing to help if I can, it's just timescales for the turnaround. Definitely wouldn't be quick. I've got a lovely oscar I could loan in the mean time.......
I thought the oscar was in a thousand tiny pieces right now?

Did someone say coffee?

Not quite. The plastic casings are off

Home - Nuova Simonelli MAC2000 V, La Pavoni, Compak e8, Niche Zero, IMS & VST baskets, IMS shower screen, skateboard torr, MildredM bar towels

@SkateReclaimCreate

Not quite. The plastic casings are off
Ok a few biggish pieces then!

Did someone say coffee?

I'm hoping to get some more bits ripped off. Borrow the DTP and have your mind blown at its awesomeness!

@SkateReclaimCreate

I'm hoping to get some more bits ripped off. Borrow the DTP and have your mind blown at its awesomeness!
Or lend her the classic to give a shot of extreme nostalgia

Laissez les bons temps rouler

Another option

@SkateReclaimCreate

Well I went to the factory today and I can confirm you can indeed switch the old water/steam valves for the new 'flicky' ones from the Clasico/Heavenly. You would need the whole assembly as the way they function is different to the tap type valves.

They also have a nice Contempo sat in reception with wooden tap type handles. They look lovely too, just the same shape as your current plastic ones. Only slight problem is that the design is yet to be 100% finished. They do intend to make them available from what I can gather so a call might be in order to register interest. They would certainly transform the look of your machine.

Well I went to the factory today and I can confirm you can indeed switch the old water/steam valves for the new 'flicky' ones from the Clasico/Heavenly. You would need the whole assembly as the way they function is different to the tap type valves.

They also have a nice Contempo sat in reception with wooden tap type handles. They look lovely too, just the same shape as your current plastic ones. Only slight problem is that the design is yet to be 100% finished. They do intend to make them available from what I can gather so a call might be in order to register interest. They would certainly transform the look of your machine.

Thanks!

Just need to get this water tap looked at and away we go!

Did someone say coffee?

I'm going to buy a spanner!! (If I can work out what size I need!!)

Did someone say coffee?

Current state of play.

Me and mini me went to b&q

I found the right sized spanner (22)

Brought it home and managed to remove the hot water tap assembly. (Don't look if you are sensitive about chrome!)

No obvious blockages.

So I've been brave and turned the machine on without the assembly. Still only a dribble. The opv is occasionally dumping some water into the tank in a normal sort of way.

Pushed a (sparkly) pipe cleaner in and no obvious blockages towards the boiler.

Any clever ideas?

c460999d764a77440bfcafb930e55e49.jpg8dbe06f208f72288b3deb47b2f291573.jpgb5457e90ee9e3a87824625fdae396e12.jpg50028eea0a5da30a5c6f3b2c1e786f44.jpg75358ec3d38dce6cd2eec5eff86fb64e.jpg

Did someone say coffee?

So is the issue that it dribbles or wont dispense hot water?

keep calm and grind flat

So is the issue that it dribbles or wont dispense hot water?
It will only dribble... And won't dispense hot water. If it's off its off, but when it's "open" nothing, just a very small dribble.

Did someone say coffee?

so when the tap is turned does it move the valve back and forward inside the spindle?

keep calm and grind flat