Sign in to follow this  
Glenn

Enter the UKBC for only £25

The UKBC working party has revised the 2012 UK Barista Championship entry fee to only £25!

The full blog post can be read by clicking the link below

http://scaeuk.com/news/index.php/2011/10/enter-the-ukbc-2012-for-only-25/

Are any Coffee Forums UK members thinking of entering the competition?

Home Barista Training - contact me to discuss your requirements

Me.

The competition's webpage says ..

As long as you hone your skills, and READ THE RULES thoroughly you should be fine. The competitions are as much about learning as they are about winning, and of course about meeting people!

OK everyone - I know this is a competition and we're all going to do our best as individuals to win, but personaly I'd love it if there was also a way for coffeeforums members to use this event to be even more helpful to each other... to somehow find a way to collaborate even more than we already do, share the skills that we are going to gain/improve over the coming months, and end up with a whole bunch of even more talented baristas. If enough people are interested in kicking off a community like that then anything is possible!

This is all off the top of my head, but I'm thinking maybe

- a monthly meet-up of coffeeforums' UKBC entrants (locations TBC) to share knowledge and practical skills

- an online 'huddle' or some such, again to just chat and share UKBC stuff (without revealing any of our big secrets)... could be a separate board on here just for UKBC entrants maybe... or a google+ thing... or something else... ideas welcome

- a blog roundup perhaps... if anyone is entering then share your preparation process on a blog

I dunno... this just seems like a fantastic chance for the whole to be greater than the sum of its parts.

If you think you're not ready, then let's get you ready... together!

Any takers?

Ha I'm tempted but I think I may need another year prep!

Will have a read of the entrance stuff though. The only thing I'm a bit worried about is barrista snobbery! Ie people looking down on us because we aren't professionals!!

Expobar Dual Lever: Mahlkonnig Pro M: My FlickR Latte Art

I wouldn't worry about snobbery. If you have built up enough skills that's all that matters. Also, if you enter this year then you will be in a much stronger position next year.

And look at Callum Hale, he was allowed (under extenuating circumstances) to enter even tho he's still at school.

I think the main thing is just to approach it like the olympics... Train hard and go for gold, but just competing is a massive step up.

Great idea Mike.

Every competitor requires a good team and support around them.

Most have their partner or a colleague/friend helping them train, wash up, give them moral support and also help choose coffee, practice routine etc

We are also putting out a call for volunteers for the SCAE UK / UKBC events. This is a fantastic way to dip your toe in the water and also learn more about how the competition operates.

I'd love to meet as many Coffee Forums UK members at the SCAE UK events as possible

The SCAE UK website is in the process of being updated. Keep checking for updates.

Great that there's an established approach regarding entrants being supported by partners etc.

I'm hoping we can do something new, something more than that. Just imagine how much learning can be achieved by getting 10 coffeeforums members in the same room every 4 or 6 weeks, around a commercial espresso machine! We could have a coffeeforums 1,2,3 in the finals :)

I'm easy either way, I don't feel it's absolutely necessary, just that they would be exciting sessions.

But even without the 'winter sessions', let's hope the response is good.

Scottish Heats venue announcement due in the next couple of weeks

SCAE UK is finalising the details with the host. An announcement will be posted on Coffee Forums UK as soon as possible