zoglet

ECM Mechanika V Slim

I'm torn between 'Ooooh', 'Gimme gimme', 'Yikes', 'How much???' and 'You don't f...g need it'.

Linky

Anyone have first hand experience?

To avoid straying too far off topic, I've seen lots of videos on YouTube for ECM, yes I know ECM are generally pimped profitec and I know there's a lot of discussion on Profitec and the Mechanika IV before it, but I'd be keen to hear from anyone regarding this particular machine, who has actually used, bought, or compared against something else.

The smaller footprint is relevant to me.

Thanks in advance :)

Rich

From Bodum > Bialetti Mokka > Gaggia Classic > MDF > Eureka Mignon > PID + Pimping > ECM Mechanika V Slim > Ceado E37J > The Grave :-)

Don’t think u can buy in the uk yet.

From what I read is as it says - a mechanika with knobs not joysticks. From the spec sheet slightly bigger boiler perhaps.

If space at a premium is a no brainier I reckon - my mechanika profi is a fantastic machine

Plumbed in Vesuvius - BWT Bestmax - Niche in Black. Aeropress and Aergrind

Live and Let Live

Don’t think u can buy in the uk yet.

From what I read is as it says - a mechanika with knobs not joysticks. From the spec sheet slightly bigger boiler perhaps.

If space at a premium is a no brainier I reckon - my mechanika profi is a fantastic machine

Pity it didn't have the joysticks. Would set it that bit apart from the appartamento for me. Is the boiler insulated?

I should have said earlier it’s vibration pump and from what I can tell can’t be plumbed.

So not really an alternative to the profi.

Not sure about insulation can’t see anything on ecm site

Live and Let Live

Just sussed out one of these from a dealer in Ireland. Due in March. Special intro price of 1450e incl vat. They've said that they'll change the knobs to levers for me too. Boiler is insulated. A better shout than the Appartamento??? Would be 200e more at the special rate

Just sussed out one of these from a dealer in Ireland. Due in March. Special intro price of 1450e incl vat. They've said that they'll change the knobs to levers for me too. Boiler is insulated. A better shout than the Appartamento??? Would be 200e more at the special rate

I would say significant step on from appartamento. Boiler bigger, reservoir bigger, stainless steel boiler, ecm build quality etc.

Live and Let Live

1450 is a mad price. Get me one too! They’re 1750 in Germany where they make em!

Rich

From Bodum > Bialetti Mokka > Gaggia Classic > MDF > Eureka Mignon > PID + Pimping > ECM Mechanika V Slim > Ceado E37J > The Grave :-)

lack of plumbing not an issue. it’s not how I would use it anyway. I must say I liked the joysticks but apparently the knobs give better control. six of on, half a dozen of the other. build quality is wonderful but price is pretty high. then again space is a significant factor, hence the consideration. was initially looking at their basic model but as ai have a pimped out gaggia classic, i wanted a step up, so the benefits of a heat index xchanger for milk foaming, although not often used, is there, and the temperature stability of the big boiler and e61 head is the main driver. thanks for your thoughts everyone. Reckon it’s soon on the cards ;-)

Rich

lack of plumbing not an issue. it’s not how I would use it anyway. I must say I liked the joysticks but apparently the knobs give better control. six of on, half a dozen of the other. build quality is wonderful but price is pretty high. then again space is a significant factor, hence the consideration. was initially looking at their basic model but as ai have a pimped out gaggia classic, i wanted a step up, so the benefits of a heat index xchanger for milk foaming, although not often used, is there, and the temperature stability of the big boiler and e61 head is the main driver. thanks for your thoughts everyone. Reckon it’s soon on the cards ;-)
Did you pull the trigger on the Slim?

Hoping to get a chance to go to a place in Dublin tomorrow that stock ECM to have a look at the range. Still undecided as to whether I should go heavy and future proof my setup with a Synchronkia or take the saving and go with the Mechanika Slim. The Slim will probably do everything I need but I can't help but have the glad eye for the Synchronkia.

I'm yet to see an ECM in the flesh anyway so hoping that tomorrows trip will help me decide.

I also considered the Synchronika but decided I didn't need the dual boiler so went with HX. The Synchronika was also a bit large for my kitchen - it is a few cm taller than the Technika IV.

The ECM range is built to a high standard - you won't be disappointed. Rotary pump is definitely worth it in my opinion - aargh the sound of a vibe pump!

ECM Technika IV Profi (WT-WC), ECM S-Automatik 64, Aeropress, Aergrind

Both machines are beautiful - I think owning any ECM is great

I don’t necessarily see the synchronika as an upgrade from a HX profi anyway - just different. HX have some unique features - on the fly temp control for example.

The slim is vibe pump

Live and Let Live

I also considered the Synchronika but decided I didn't need the dual boiler so went with HX

this is it in a nutshell for me - ya it's nice to have a dual boiler but do I need it from a practical sense. I make 1 coffee a day mon-fri and then maybe 6-10 over the weekends. plus when you consider the running cost is double I'm starting to wonder if it's overkill.

Seeing them in the flesh will help me decide for sure but as you say Kenny, a Synchronika isn't necessarily an upgrade on the other models - a HX would probably suit me just fine.

Ok so I'm just back from my trip to Parklane in Dublin. They are distributors for ECM in Ireland. Terence there was very helpful and showed me the range. The new Mechanika Slim looks a really good machine. Granted it's a bit more expensive than the Appartamento but it's seems to be way ahead in terms of building quality and overall finish. It also has an insulated boiler, nicer cup tray, is 6cm narrower and seems to heat up quicker. It also has an additional pressure gauge although I do prefer the style of the gauges on the rockets but thats just a personal preference.

I also saw a Synchronika which is a beautiful beast of a thing but I think having seen the two, the Slim seems to offer plenty to cover my needs. While in theory the Synchronika is a better spec'd machine, it's going to take up more space and cost a fair bit more and I can't really see what it will do for me that the Slim won't for the price.

Hello Folks.

We could afford to treat ourselves and did quite a bit of eliminating before committing to the ECM Synchronika, beautiful machine, joy sticks are the way to go and most dealers will give the option.

I don't fully subscribe to the 'Much larger' tag, My Dear Lady made this very assumption, but where we purchased ours from the other machine was quite close by and I was allowed to juggle them about side by side and end on, the feet on the Synchronika make it higher which is easily addressed if you do not plan for a plumbed drip tray and honestly side by side, end and full on, there is not a megga difference.

Jon.

One Life this is it, it's not a rehearsal so enjoy it best you can - Have some fun, buy a coffee machine.;)

ECM Synchronika - ECM V-Titan 64 Grinder - EXPOBAR MEGGACREM 2 Group - MAZZER Super Jolly grinder with doser -  AMIR Scales and they work fine - 15-18-20-22-25g VST Filter Baskets - Several MOTTA Jugs and a Home Made Knock Box. - Useful contributions from the Family.

Hello Folks.

We could afford to treat ourselves and did quite a bit of eliminating before committing to the ECM Synchronika, beautiful machine, joy sticks are the way to go and most dealers will give the option.

I don't fully subscribe to the 'Much larger' tag, My Dear Lady made this very assumption, but where we purchased ours from the other machine was quite close by and I was allowed to juggle them about side by side and end on, the feet on the Synchronika make it higher which is easily addressed if you do not plan for a plumbed drip tray and honestly side by side, end and full on, there is not a megga difference.

Jon.

The slim is 25cm wide. The synchronika is 33.5cm. That's a fair bit

Taller and deeper also I think

Live and Let Live

The slim is 25cm wide. The synchronika is 33.5cm. That's a fair bit

The slim perhaps ........

But not megga ?.

Jon.

One Life this is it, it's not a rehearsal so enjoy it best you can - Have some fun, buy a coffee machine.;)

ECM Synchronika - ECM V-Titan 64 Grinder - EXPOBAR MEGGACREM 2 Group - MAZZER Super Jolly grinder with doser -  AMIR Scales and they work fine - 15-18-20-22-25g VST Filter Baskets - Several MOTTA Jugs and a Home Made Knock Box. - Useful contributions from the Family.

Compared too what Barry ? ...... is a few CM's critical for you, it's usually the height of a machine that weighs heavily in peoples choice being necessary to slide under eye level cupboards.

When we were able to actually put the machines side by side and end for end, there was not a deal to cope with, height yes, but it has fairly stout feet on the (Synchronika) that can be lowered or replaced to get down to a minimum.

It's amazing just what you can do with a limited space, we earmarked three possible sites in our kitchen, prior to getting it, but once we actually had it on site we very soon decided to opt for this ...............

https://coffeeforums.co.uk/showthread.php?43238-OK-Folks-at-long-last-ready-to-show-my-coffee-corner

We may have more space or less than others, but it's surprising once it's on site just what you can come up with. I'm not demonstrating doing it in our style but units can be had for not a lot of money if you shop around.

Jon.

Compared too what Barry ? ...... is a few CM's critical for you, it's usually the height of a machine that weighs heavily in peoples choice being necessary to slide under eye level cupboards.

When we were able to actually put the machines side by side and end for end, there was not a deal to cope with, height yes, but it has fairly stout feet on the (Synchronika) that can be lowered or replaced to get down to a minimum.

It's amazing just what you can do with a limited space, we earmarked three possible sites in our kitchen, prior to getting it, but once we actually had it on site we very soon decided to opt for this ...............

https://coffeeforums.co.uk/showthread.php?43238-OK-Folks-at-long-last-ready-to-show-my-coffee-corner

We may have more space or less than others, but it's surprising once it's on site just what you can come up with. I'm not demonstrating doing it in our style but units can be had for not a lot of money if you shop around.

Jon.

Ya totally agree. Height isn't really the issue for us. Just very limited in worktop space. Although we're renting and hoping to move so it mightnt be an issue for too long.