MildredM

My Best Friend Has Prostate Cancer . . .

For those of you that may be facing operations or such procedures as a colonoscopy I invite you to go read a thread here:

https://singletrackworld.com/2009/02/the-picolax-thread-returns/

Spend the time or read it in parts (I dare you) but read it even if you are perfectly healthy

Work might not be the best place to do it though ;)

It was the re-appointing of your op that reminded me of this Ian so @MildredM this one is for the pair of you

I wish you both well, really I do, but for me humour helps

For those of you that may be facing operations or such procedures as a colonoscopy I invite you to go read a thread here:

Spend the time or read it in parts (I dare you) but read it even if you are perfectly healthy

It was the re-appointing of your op that reminded me of this Ian so @MildredM this one is for the pair of you

Remember reading that near when it was written & it's still a contender for best thread on the internet ever.

Laissez les bons temps rouler

LOLOLOLOL megaton detonations!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2019 L-R with hand turned Thuya burr handles and toggles / 1998 La Pavoni / Monolith Titan Flat & Conical, MAX Flat on order  / HG-1 / Kalita wave / Stag kettle / OCD / Joey Skateboard Handle Pullman Big Step & matching stirrer / Wenge Handle Lev Tamp / Push Tamper / Puqpress / 15g & 18g vst / IMS 35μM / LDT / Barista Gear Titanium 12oz pitchers / LW Bean Cellars & Caddy / Decent thermometer / Acme Evo 150ml cups / Espazzola / Hottop / embroidered by me bar towels / in the cellars: Steampunk, North Star, Foundry, The Barn, HasBean, Coffee Compass / 6 gorgeous guineas / a dog / a very lovely husband 

LOLOLOLOL megaton detonations!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Been there done it UNBELIEVABLE But I did get the day / timing correct :storm::exit:

Here's a Guardian column from George Monbiot's experience with finding out he has prostate cancer.

Don't know whether reading about other people's experiences will help but it's interesting at least.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2018/mar/13/prostate-cancer-happy-diagnosis-operation

Oh, thank you so much for this :)

What a positive, excellent attitude George Monbiot has! I especially like his Shitscore Scale analogy, and also 'a caring community enhances recovery.’

I know when I started this thread (and it is pretty much the same as the one on my FB Page - where I rarely post) I have felt overwhelmed (in a good way!) by all the supportive comments, offers of help and knowing that you are simply there for us. I felt it was better to have it out in the open (here and locally) than have to think what I was saying in case I let it slip and said the wrong thing. Not only that though, I knew I would need support - Ian too. Simply being able to talk about it has helped enormously. Links to articles such as yours @martyrdon plus some funny tales, anecdotes, hilarious jokes, information shared, all this has helped so, so much. And for that we both thank you all :)

Just waiting for final conformation but it seems Ian will have his op on Sunday now (and if not this forthcoming Sunday then definitely the Sunday after that). A different surgeon (his initial surgeon is on leave shortly) and this time it will be 'robotic surgery', not to be confused with keyhole surgery. The robot is called a DaVinci (if you want to google it). We both feel this surgery will be perfect for Ian in many ways and the only reason we didn’t investigate it was because we were happy with the first (non robotic) surgeon and his methods (open surgery). Once we know we have the booking for certain I will post again.

Forums are funny things! We often never meet our forum friends face to face, but we connect over a shared subject - our love of great coffee and how to attain it! I have made some lovely friends here, people I think of as 'proper friends'! Anyway, I just want to thank you ALL xxx

2019 L-R with hand turned Thuya burr handles and toggles / 1998 La Pavoni / Monolith Titan Flat & Conical, MAX Flat on order  / HG-1 / Kalita wave / Stag kettle / OCD / Joey Skateboard Handle Pullman Big Step & matching stirrer / Wenge Handle Lev Tamp / Push Tamper / Puqpress / 15g & 18g vst / IMS 35μM / LDT / Barista Gear Titanium 12oz pitchers / LW Bean Cellars & Caddy / Decent thermometer / Acme Evo 150ml cups / Espazzola / Hottop / embroidered by me bar towels / in the cellars: Steampunk, North Star, Foundry, The Barn, HasBean, Coffee Compass / 6 gorgeous guineas / a dog / a very lovely husband 

The DaVinci is supposed to be the Ceado E37Z of prostate surgery machines and enables far quicker recovery, with no clumping and light fluffy grounds :good:

Glad to hear things are progressing for you both

keep calm and grind flat

Good luck with the date this time around!

All the best to you both and thank you indeed for sharing your story :good::good::good:

says Hasi.

'This Sunday I will be out in the road saying - "Hasi says your impeading me from pursuing my recreational motivations while you wank off over the finer details of some aloof brainfork" :whistle: ' @jimbojohn55

Deep Thought says 'tight wiggles' is the answer. @Scotford

The DaVinci is supposed to be the Ceado E37Z of prostate surgery machines and enables far quicker recovery, with no clumping and light fluffy grounds :good:

Just so long as the surgeon weighs everything up carefully, and makes a good shot of it!

Glad to hear things are progressing for you both

Thank you :)

All booked for the 25th March :)

I wish you both the best for this time around together with a speedy recovery for your husband

Just wanted to say thanks to @MildredM for starting this thread, it's something at lot of us (well me anyway) put to the back of our minds which makes it all the more important for us to be open and talk about it.

It inspired me to go for a check, I've just had my results back and they're clear but they took my cholesterol at the same time and it's very high so while that's not the best news I'm happy to have discovered it so I can sort it out (and it could clearly have been worse). I probably wouldn't have gone for the check without this thread so thanks again.

Gaggia Classic / Aeropress / V60 / Niche Zero / Wilfa Svart / Feldgrind

Just wanted to say thanks to @MildredM for starting this thread, it's something at lot of us (well me anyway) put to the back of our minds which makes it all the more important for us to be open and talk about it.

It inspired me to go for a check, I've just had my results back and they're clear but they took my cholesterol at the same time and it's very high so while that's not the best news I'm happy to have discovered it so I can sort it out (and it could clearly have been worse). I probably wouldn't have gone for the check without this thread so thanks again.

Thanks for the thanks :) And well done, you. But not so good news re your cholesterol level, although now you know you are in control which is a much better place to be!

Thinking of you both and all the best for Sunday.

John & Sarah

Roasters: BB Dalian Amazon 1kg -Power contolled GeneCafe 101- 113Kg of greens - Tonino

Espresso: Londinium L2 - Gaggia G105 - Silvia v3 Mr.Shades PID'-d - Faema E92a2 (Project) - MyPressi Twist - VST baskets / Motta Europa (350/500/750ml) - Torr Ti 58.55 & Goldfinger flat 58.4 TiBlack, Pullman 51.4 - Acaia x2

Grinders: Flats: Compak R120 - NS Mythos plus Conics: Compak K10PB - Lido 3

Brewed: Behmor Brazen - Moccamaster KBGT471 - Aeropress - V60 - Cona model D - Clever - Mizudashi - 8-10 + 6 cup Chemex

Water: BWT Bestmax V Refrac: VST III

and a Puq Press not in a pear tree..

Thank you all very much :)

It has been a funny old week. It felt like the last supper tonight, then there's the last breakfast tomorrow. The sooner Ian is in and done the better!

Sending best wishes, hope Ian has a speedy recovery x

Vesuvius, Monolith Conical, Feldgrind

Thinking of you both today, mainly Ian, as I like to imagine you've made him carry at least one of the grinders and a spare machine to his own bedside!!

Did someone say coffee?

:Gaggia Classic--> Nuova Simonelli Oscar--> fracino Cherub:Mazzer SuperJolly:Hario V60+aeropress+french press:

Fully in my thoughts and sending best wishes - hope all goes well

Lelit Mara 62, Niche Grinder, Decent Espresso tamper, V60, CCD, Aeropress, French Press, Moka pot, Kinu M47, Feldgrind, Porlex Mini, Kawasaki Versys 650 mk1

Thanks some more :)

Ian has been delivered (to hospital). Glad to say he’s in good spirits and enjoying my regular updates. I usually wash up but tonight I had to dry too, and now I've just had to grind and distribute and Puqpress, and then clean the machine as well! I haven’t had a spare minute!!!

He messaged earlier to say he is been seen to at 9amSunday. Up at 5.30am . . . in a manner of speaking. You do NOT need the fine details :) :)

Edited by MildredM

So glad they got him an early slot this time.

Feel a bit sorry for Ian having to get up that early especially on the day the clocks spring forward but the sooner the better.

Laissez les bons temps rouler

So glad they got him an early slot this time.

Feel a bit sorry for Ian having to get up that early especially on the day the clocks spring forward but the sooner the better.

I don’t think he feels sorry about the hour . . . it is more to do with the procedure that he has to have in good time before the op!

Thanks some more

Ian has been delivered. Glad to say he’s in good spirits and enjoying my regular updates. I usually wash but tonight I had to dry too, and now Iv'e just had to grind and distribute and Puqpress, and then clean the machine as well! I haven’t had a minute!!!

He messaged earlier to say he is been seen to at 9am. Up at 5.30am . . . in a manner of speaking. You do NOT need the fine details :)

Best wishes and hope all goes well. Don't forget the clocks change. Don't want to be late

Home - Nuova Simonelli MAC2000 V, La Pavoni, Compak e8, Niche Zero, IMS & VST baskets, IMS shower screen, skateboard torr, MildredM bar towels

@SkateReclaimCreate