IGNORED

LSOL February - Crankhouse Coffee [Devon]

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I had recently been contemplating something I read about colonna routinely pulling very quick shots on their EK. Thought I'd give it a go. 16g - 38g - 14 seconds at 5 bar. Still hit 20.90% extraction

Posted Images

Mine just arrived.... NOM NOM...

(Well to be honest I haven't tried them yet as I'm just working through a bag of Foundry Rocko Mountain curtesy of the generosity of DSC but I think Friday might be a goer!)

Tried as a 150ml flat white 18g/36.8g/52 sec (grinder still dialed for last beans) & getting a very liquorice flavour. Quite like it so not sure if I should dial in properly or leave as is.

First v60 of this today. 18g > 280g in ~4:00. Will go coarser next time but still a nice brew.

First impression based on the look and smell of the beans as much as a anything is that they're African. No clearly discernable flavours but I think it was a bit over extracted.

I have unimaginably large amounts of coffee that I have to drink before this arrives!

Going for an oatly flat white marathon tomorrow woop woop!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]32241[/ATTACH]

really looking forward to trying these, another roaster i've been meaning to check out so was a nice surprise when i got these as hadn't see these were coming.

@fatboyslim, i know it's a bit off topic, but would be interested to hear your thoughts on the oatly barista as i bought a few cartons last week to try out - any tips on using this and what do you think of it in comparison to the alternatives? haven't had a chance to give it a try yet as i've been ill this week and caffeine free :( . did try their organic version last week and found it ok but a touch sour, but that might perhaps be down to overheating it?

What time should I be aiming for on 500g water v60?
Aim for 3:30....see how it tastes. Try another brew with a slightly coarser grind or pour smaller amounts to draw out the brew time to 4:30 and see which one you prefer.
Aim for 3:30....see how it tastes. Try another brew with a slightly coarser grind or pour smaller amounts to draw out the brew time to 4:30 and see which one you prefer.

Thanks I know it’s basic question but I seem to be getting much longer brews so def need to adjust

I like this one more than the last one.

Went for 18>40 58seconds with 20s pre-infusion, then ground courser and went 18>32 in 38s straight into pump mode (although still preinfuses) Very nice (prefer a splash of hot water as all tbh)

Input: 'Terranovered’ Versalab M3  + Niche

Output: Slayer One Group + La Pavoni + V60 + AeroPress + Syphon + Bialetti Induction Moka Pot + Bialetti Mucka Express + jar of instant for visitors..

So today I went for 17g > 40g in probably 45 seconds. Ran the pump real slow then increased towards the end. Found the puck had really swelled up lovely.

Tasting notes. I have no idea as I'm pants. All I know is it was delicious.

Edited by joey24dirt
Typo

Two 250g bags arrived a few days ago and I finally tore into one this morning whilst fumbling around for a Suday morning caffeine fix. Smelled great going into the grinder. Eyeballed both the grind and pour with a Kalita yet the result was unexpectedly delicious. Definitely got fruity notes in the cup! These beans definitely deserve a more considered approach so will report back once I've had a chance to try them properly.

Thanks for organising this!

really looking forward to trying these, another roaster i've been meaning to check out so was a nice surprise when i got these as hadn't see these were coming.

@fatboyslim, i know it's a bit off topic, but would be interested to hear your thoughts on the oatly barista as i bought a few cartons last week to try out - any tips on using this and what do you think of it in comparison to the alternatives? haven't had a chance to give it a try yet as i've been ill this week and caffeine free :( . did try their organic version last week and found it ok but a touch sour, but that might perhaps be down to overheating it?

The barista-edition is much creamier tasting than the normal one but this is due to the trickery of the foam emulsion. I suggest really shaking up the carton before attempting to steam it.

I haven't tried too many others but I've heard from a reliable source that the others aren't up to oatly's standards for coffee drinks.

I've also tasted that sourness and wasn't sure if it was under or overheating. More experimentation required!

Not read peoples notes yet, terrible I know but first go on these through the Syphon. 24g on aergrind 1+10 to 350ml water. 1 min steep, draw down at 2 min. Bit slow for my usual brews but it was fantastic!

Creamy, black tea notes with intense clove!

Made aeropress using foundry method (14.5g / 240ml) and 1+10 on aergrind. Light body, but very juicy this time, still black tea coming through and something similar to buttered pop corn (strange), not as clovy. TDS 1.26 / EY 22.04%

Maybe lower altitude washed Ethiopian :S definitely not certain...

7739ab7ad0d02507b27bbdad03922a03.jpg

I've had some good espresso out of this, definitely getting some black treacle sweetness and some juicy top notes.

In brewed I initially struggled, was getting inoffensive but fairly flat brews without much liveliness (this also matches up with another recent "competition" coffee I had - was easier to get tasty as espresso than brewed, but I guess there's some logic to this as the competition is based around espresso). However, I've found going coarser this morning has helped, hitting an EY of around 20%. Quite hard to pinpoint exact notes... no treacle here, maybe raspberry, maybe orange

It is hands down one of the best smelling coffees I can remember too! Lovely aroma dry and a nice scent of vanilla as it brews.

I've had some good espresso out of this, definitely getting some black treacle sweetness and some juicy top notes.

In brewed I initially struggled, was getting inoffensive but fairly flat brews without much liveliness (this also matches up with another recent "competition" coffee I had - was easier to get tasty as espresso than brewed, but I guess there's some logic to this as the competition is based around espresso). However, I've found going coarser this morning has helped, hitting an EY of around 20%. Quite hard to pinpoint exact notes... no treacle here, maybe raspberry, maybe orange

It is hands down one of the best smelling coffees I can remember too! Lovely aroma dry and a nice scent of vanilla as it brews.

That aroma does come out in brewed. How are you brewing? What water?