IGNORED

MC2 Iberital grinder newbie questions with photos

Very new to this forum and got my first ever coffee grinder yesterday. I am looking to use it for espresso so will not be adjusting it once I am satisfied with the grind. I have a few questions and would appreciate suggestions:

1) I am noticing that the 'chute' (see 2nd picture) which the grinded coffee exits still has a small amount left which I cannot reach (perhaps not visible in this photo). Is this a design flaw or am I doing something wrong? It is slightly annoying since there is a plastic fitting preventing reaching this.

2) Am I right in thinking I need 7 grams of beans to grind for one shot of espresso?

3) Do people tend to just put in a whole bag of beans into the machine or do they do it one drink at a time (see 1st picture)? I am doing one drink at a time.

4) Is putting the whole beans in the fridge prior to grinding in any way beneficial? Or is it just a myth I heard a few years back...?

5) I have to press the button 3-4 times to complete a grind of 7 grams-is this normal? The instructions say something about being able to adjust the length that it grinds for though I have followed these instructions and cannot find the part they are talking about to adjust this....not sure if it is for another model or something.

Thanks in advance and apologies for the newbie questions though hopefull, in time, I can help other people answer similar questions.

IMG_20180126_110454178.jpg

IMG_20180126_110314096.jpg

Edited by jay_kendrick

1 the chute is removable - or just get a pastry brush to keep it clear

2 7 for a single - 90/100 use 14g - especially if your making milk based drinks

3 both - for the mc2 I would put 1/2 the bag in and the rest in the freezer

4 myth - I think, its exposure to air and humidity that affects bean freshness - spare beans should be in your freezer sealed up, inc the bag air hole-

5 on the bottom side of your grinder in pic 2 you can see the timer adjuster - its the small black round thing - adjust it to get 14g :good:

also you will need to adjust the grind as you change beans or they get older - when I had an MC2 I would adjust the grind every couple of days- with the Mc2 its adjustment is so fine you will need to rotate the grinde adjuster 1 or 2 full turns maybe more - cheers and enjoy

You may want to remove the grinds that are retained at times but in some ways it's best to ignore them. They are there because the grinds finish up in a chamber under the burrs and a rotating part pushes them out usually over a ledge so some grinds are retained on that and are replaced with a fresh lot when ever you grind some coffee. On many grinders you wouldn't be able to see them.

What you have in the grinder is probably the same as or very similar to this model

[video=youtube_share;42m_oAMebgc]

That shows how to remove the outer burr for cleaning also the inner if needed - also effectively how to get at the grinds that are retained on their way to the chute.

Some one posted that has the Iberital version. Just out of curiosity I would like to know if the internals are like this one - all plastic apart from the actual burrs.

John

-

Very new to this forum and got my first ever coffee grinder yesterday. I am looking to use it for espresso so will not be adjusting it once I am satisfied with the grind. I have a few questions and would appreciate suggestions:

1) I am noticing that the 'chute' (see 2nd picture) which the grinded coffee exits still has a small amount left which I cannot reach (perhaps not visible in this photo). Is this a design flaw or am I doing something wrong? It is slightly annoying since there is a plastic fitting preventing reaching this.

2) Am I right in thinking I need 7 grams of beans to grind for one shot of espresso?

3) Do people tend to just put in a whole bag of beans into the machine or do they do it one drink at a time (see 1st picture)? I am doing one drink at a time.

4) Is putting the whole beans in the fridge prior to grinding in any way beneficial? Or is it just a myth I heard a few years back...?

5) I have to press the button 3-4 times to complete a grind of 7 grams-is this normal? The instructions say something about being able to adjust the length that it grinds for though I have followed these instructions and cannot find the part they are talking about to adjust this....not sure if it is for another model or something.

Thanks in advance and apologies for the newbie questions though hopefull, in time, I can help other people answer similar questions.

1. Design flaw. Use a brush and tip it forward and hit it on the back to clear. Keep A weigh on the beans when grinding for consistency (either via a full/half full hopper or some other method that won’t risk grinder).

2. Kind of. With stock baskets it’s supposed to be 7g for a single and 14g for a double but there are bigger baskets out there designed for different weights. What’s crucial to weigh output. It will vary from one coffee to the next but you’ll find a ratio that suits your tastes and adjust from there. For me I typically brew 18g into 40g as a starting point. For singles 8-9g IMS I tend to brew very slightly longer with 22-25g output. For the coffee I’m drinking now (dark roast) I have a 36g double and a 23g single from 8.5g so it’s 2:1 vs 2.7:1. I’ve no idea why the ratio needs to change but the single is very different to the double when brewed to the same ratio. Could be volume of crema is higher compared to tasty coffee with a single.

3. Not sure what you mean. Grind as much as you need and leave the rest.

4. No. Put what you aren’t using in a ziplock bag, squeeze air out and seal and place in a dry, dark place away from heat. I’ve never frozen beans myself so can’t comment on that but they change as they age so you might be better off finding how you like the taste between say 10-30 days post roast and freezing them at whatever point you like. At least I assume freezing them arrests the loss of flavours.

5. The time adjustment is a tiny dial on the right side.